Game-Labs Forum

I remember back in alpha when we exited a battle we'd get a list of the loot to pick from. Now, we need to loot every kill and 99% this involves tacking and fighting the wind, etc.

I realize the old way was perhaps too easy, but I would very much like that once the battle is over, we get some kind of speed bonus (4x speed?), and/or possibly ability to sail upwind (like in OW, slowly) so we can loot easier and stop wasting our time fighting the wind for loot.

Seems like a uselessly slow and uninteresting mechanic, it's pure frustration.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angus MacDuff said:

It is definitely a skill and I think it has it's place here.  In a battle with more than one enemy, you really should not get automatic loot pick-up.  If the other enemy is in close contact, loss of the loot is appropriate. 

To be clear, I'm talking about a PVE context here, I understand that for PVP there are lots of factors that favor the status quo. I'm not advocating auto loot like we had before.

Clearly my proposal is for PVE encounters once the last enemy dies, make 2.5 knots upwind possible and perhaps 2-3-4x the speed of everything up. No player is penalized.

I don't understand why PVE should be different.  If you're fighting multiple enemies, you're gonna take some hits when you're looting the first one you sink.  Are you proposing that you should be able to sink multiple ships and then , when you've finished fighting, go around and loot them all in peace?

3 hours ago, Angus MacDuff said:

I don't understand why PVE should be different.  If you're fighting multiple enemies, you're gonna take some hits when you're looting the first one you sink.  Are you proposing that you should be able to sink multiple ships and then , when you've finished fighting, go around and loot them all in peace?

Yeah I'm fine with the wind struggle while enemies are still up and chosing between fighting or looting, but once the battle is over, looting that last one is just agonizing.

The thing I find funny is that 80% of the time the sunken enemy is directly upwind of you. This is the main reason why sometimes I just leave as i will not be able to get to the ship making only 2 knots before the damn thing sinks.

1 minute ago, Raekur said:

The thing I find funny is that 80% of the time the sunken enemy is directly upwind of you. This is the main reason why sometimes I just leave as i will not be able to get to the ship making only 2 knots before the damn thing sinks.

Yeah that's exactly my point, the AI always does its best to stay upwind, so when it dies its almost always straight upwind... Which results in a 5 min struggle to get to the ship after most fights. If we could just have a minimum upwind speed after battle ends (like we do in OW) I'd be happy and I don't see who would be penalized.

4 minutes ago, [MCC] Die Antwoord said:

Never said it was impossible, I said it was an agonizing wait/struggle in most cases. I don't feel that struggle is fun and I'm proposing a solution to make it less of a PITA. Everybody wins.

The only time it's a PITA is if you're moving toward the wreck and wind changes against you. Otherwise it's a decent enough system