Game-Labs Forum

Easy way to balance server

One possible way to balance the server and discourage people from moving to the "winners" would be to remove port bonuses from the top 5 nations on the Conquest Competition Leaderboard. I'd even be tempted to remove this restriction from GB, France and Spain so that they eventually become the dominant powers in the Caribbean. 

To stop it from being unfair on those who worked hard to do well, create an exception to this restriction from people who were in the nation prior to them getting into the top 5 on the leaderboard.

Edited by Gregory Rainsborough

the port bonuses however how unbalanced they are because of other woods is ok if they stay, maybe you should only be able to specialize within one route. But i think some kind of alliance system would be much more succesful

In principle it may appear to be a good idea, but in practice all it does is create an advantage for people who have alts and alt clans as they will just set up in lower nations to produce ships for their mains. Also if there was an exception for GB, France and Spain it would achieve your goal of the game being more historically accurate but all that it would mean in practice is that these would be the zerg nations so that instead of Russia, Dutch and GB you would have the 3 powers of Spain, GB and France.

17 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

One possible way to balance the server and discourage people from moving to the "winners" would be to remove port bonuses from the top 5 nations on the Conquest Competition Leaderboard. I'd even be tempted to remove this restriction from GB, France and Spain so that they eventually become the dominant powers in the Caribbean. 

To stop it from being unfair on those who worked hard to do well, create an exception to this restriction from people who were in the nation prior to them getting into the top 5 on the leaderboard.

it is actually very simple

downgrading in rank is the best option.
it cannot be the case that a captain in the clan is passed by an admiral who is / will be in your clan after 1 day and will be forced into a large portbattle.
at the expense of a lieutenant who is busy months up in rank in the same clan. and has to check to participate after a long time.
it's not fair
and actually very strange that this is possible

its basic implementation of a non existing issue where they did not think about. in the first place

resulting in easy access to other nations without any thoughts about balance in a nation vs numbers vs players.

make a shift of nation and telling the king, he is the emperor now...

Edited by Thonys

18 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

I dont agree with such forced measures.

The desire of leaving a nation comes from the unwillingless of their players to grind again everything DUE TO THE HIGH COSTS.

Also, they lost hope cause no nation can really help eachother to defend in a port battle DUE TO THE LACKS OF DIPLOMACY TOOLS. A defeated nation loses their active players and thats why the intervention of other nations is so important.

oke go away ....and i marry your girlfriend /wife .(just kidding)

i just don't like nation shifters they have a agenda i don't want.(and disrupt balance in many ways)

you choose to become a admiral of a nation (old nation)

you choose to become a other identity in a new nation 

but you start at the bottom and earn you position in the/your  new nation for starters

everybody starts at the bottom even i did and everybody else.

for new nation starters you start as a new captain (i can agree with that), in a for you new clan or nation, i think with your experience it is the best option. (balance wise)

its a harsh world in an immigrated country even for wannabes admirals

but the pigeons must fly in the mouth of the braggers and have everything for free ....

buy a lottery ticket and win the power at your feet in a second. @admin

Edited by Thonys

I noticed during the weekend prime time we had 600+ players now, and keeps dropping. Balancing nations is good and all, however we need to address the whole server population issue first.

The current game punishes players too much from all directions. The new player, or average player, and event veterans alike are discouraged by harsh game settings. Who either quit for another game, or become disgruntled from the current state and quit for another game later. Only the small vocal minority of elitist players are still active, however they will suffer from attrition as well. 

I sincerely want Naval Action to strive and succeed. However the current course is not working to maintain a healthy player base. There is far too much grind, and less chance for action. And the action is mostly getting ganked, or chasing someone to gank for hours. The game use to thrive years ago, there was much action compared to the grind.

I would recommend more rewards for combat, more pvp events everyone has easy access to, and more in-game quality of life tools. And maybe a safe zone for new players. I also believe we have far to many nations and ports for our current server population. 

That being said, grinding and sailing doesn't need to be so mundane, something more than staring at the water for hours, or a high chance of being sunk just doing AI fleets outside your own port. I see far too many people getting sunk right outside friendly ports all the time, then quit the game in the coming weeks. 

I have stated my opinion, those of you may agree or disagree. But facts are clear, we need to attract and maintain more players for the game to remain healthy and for us to enjoy.

Edited by Azure Tempest
  • Like 2

Remove port bonuses in that way dont rebalance server,  it destroys the server. What interest can u have in RvR with that rules? I think that probably you will see the most ports as neutral with that rules. It is a complicated issue in my opinion, but im agree in the argument that server needs rebalancing.

Player balancing has nothing to do with port bonuses. Port bonuses are just one small aspect of it all. What I think is more dramatic is that there is simply no reason whatsoever to be in a small nation. The whole game is based on rewarding the winners, so that everyone who likes a little bit of comfort choses the winning side sooner or later. There is no counter-balance apart from port maintenance. 

While I agree that port bonuses need to be adjusted, the proposed solutions sounds like an arbitrary rule applied selectively on a few nations. This is just bullshit. Just nerfing the port bonuses to 1/4 of its current effects should do the trick. This would reduce the port bonuses from being a necessity to a nice-to-have addon. No crippled exceptions necessary. All current ships are affected as well. 

9 minutes ago, Georg Fromm said:

Has anyone ever tried to fight Russia instead of its weaker neighbors?

Yes people have tried to fight Russia but the server imbalance makes it difficult especially if it is an important port they do not want to lose. From the start the Danes with Havoc tried to take the battle to the Russians but were defeated by sheer numbers making it almost impossible to even get into the port battle. The Dutch have experienced the same more recently and even the Brits yesterday trying to take back George Town had to face 3 full fleets of first rates and were unable to get to the port. The Brits did well yesterday sinking a lot of Russians but in terms of RvR it becomes almost impossible to even enter the port battle due to sheer numbers if they put up a determined defense.

10 minutes ago, Georg Fromm said:

Has anyone ever tried to fight Russia instead of its weaker neighbors?

Personally I think this mindset is exactly why we're in our current situation. Too many nations ONLY want to fight Russia.  Very little content is being made in the game that does not involve Russia.  Everyone else gets bored.  So instead of smaller nations fighting a similarly sized opponent, let's use Prussia and Spain for example.....you either ignore or quasi-ally with those who would actually make a good opponent to create content with and then sit around and wait, eventually quit, waiting for some big massive Russian offensive.  Want to fight Russia?  Go leave your current nation and go join one of the 2 left that still have the balls to flip our ports.  I'm sure they'd welcome the help.

Meanwhile these are all the same dummies who voted against @admin's alliance mechanics proposal of several months ago, which would have been a breath of fresh air into an already stale RVR system.  Instead of forced alliances we just developed fake ones in the game.    

Does this game have significant problems that bleed away the population?  Yes.  But I think some of the blame needs to go to the user base and their unwillingness to fight.  Some of that can be attributed to super expensive ships and crafting regions you can't lose.....but not all of it.  For the past year now it's basically been fight Russia or quit.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

What's the point when you know the Russians turn up to every PB they're not directly involved in and screen for the defenders? It's simply not worth the effort.

Because those nations have, at some point, shown up to screen at Russian PBs.  Cause and effect.   If you don't want to be screened out by Russia....it's quit simple.  Don't screen against them.

32 minutes ago, Severus Snape said:

Because those nations have, at some point, shown up to screen at Russian PBs.  Cause and effect.   If you don't want to be screened out by Russia....it's quit simple.  Don't screen against them.

Do you really think it’s that simple?

I think it’s more to do with the fact that relatively little is happening at any given time on the servers. A port battle for ANYONE is a chance for the players online to do SOMETHING. I don’t blame the Russians or anyone for the current situation but the idea that “if you don’t bother the Russians they won’t bother you” does not seem accurate. We’re all starved for activity in the game. 

5 minutes ago, Farrago said:

Do you really think it’s that simple?

I think it’s more to do with the fact that relatively little is happening at any given time on the servers. A port battle for ANYONE is a chance for the players online to do SOMETHING. I don’t blame the Russians or anyone for the current situation but the idea that “if you don’t bother the Russians they won’t bother you” does not seem accurate. We’re all starved for activity in the game. 

I don’t blame anyone for showing up or trying to find content.  Greg was merely using that as an excuse for why other nations don’t attack each other... which is a crock of shit.

With 11 nations and no hard coded alliances and less than 1000 folks in the game....we are diluted and content starved.  It’s simply a fact.  frankly the only thing at this point that could save what pop we have is if the nations were cut back or some sort of built in alliances were introduced.  With the front lines bullshit I don’t even think smaller BR battles would help at this point.  

52 minutes ago, Severus Snape said:

I don’t blame anyone for showing up or trying to find content.  Greg was merely using that as an excuse for why other nations don’t attack each other... which is a crock of shit.

With 11 nations and no hard coded alliances and less than 1000 folks in the game....we are diluted and content starved.  It’s simply a fact.  frankly the only thing at this point that could save what pop we have is if the nations were cut back or some sort of built in alliances were introduced.  With the front lines bullshit I don’t even think smaller BR battles would help at this point.  

I tend to agree with your last statement. Smaller BR would just mean high pop nations would show up to screen in smaller ships (if the battle was in shallows). Those just seeking content must be screeners rather than help the attackers because there’s little way to participate and screen out defenders.

It’s beyond me why the Devs answered the calls for making ports more in control of clans with the whole port bonus mechanic rather than going with all the suggestions of limiting contracts, taxing (and giving to the clan) more port operations, giving winners nice chests like we used to, etc. [shrug]

If port bonus is to stay, make friendly clan list apply only to port battles, make port bonuses something that any crafter in nation can individually upgrade to, charge taxes payable to owning clan to the crafters. But I’m afraid the this suggestion would be too complicated for their database to handle.

The other way to deal with it would be make ports have economic requirements that can not be met by magic wallet transfers so that economic warfare — guerrilla warfare — could be a thing.

Edited by Farrago
  • Like 1

This game needs to go back 5 or 6 patches to become enjoyable again. The damage model needs to go back to what it was before, only one repair per battle and no more rum, more free ports, deliveries between them, 5 teleports a day(after maintenance), bring back duel room, crafting back to where it was( make parts and no permits required). Trading needs to matter again, rewards in battle increased to the point you could make money that way instead of trading.

Basically bring back the game to the way it was in 2018.

7 hours ago, Farrago said:

I tend to agree with your last statement. Smaller BR would just mean high pop nations would show up to screen in smaller ships (if the battle was in shallows). Those just seeking content must be screeners rather than help the attackers because there’s little way to participate and screen out defenders.

It’s beyond me why the Devs answered the calls for making ports more in control of clans with the whole port bonus mechanic rather than going with all the suggestions of limiting contracts, taxing (and giving to the clan) more port operations, giving winners nice chests like we used to, etc. [shrug]

If port bonus is to stay, make friendly clan list apply only to port battles, make port bonuses something that any crafter in nation can individually upgrade to, charge taxes payable to owning clan to the crafters. But I’m afraid the this suggestion would be too complicated for their database to handle.

The other way to deal with it would be make ports have economic requirements that can not be met by magic wallet transfers so that economic warfare — guerrilla warfare — could be a thing.

Worst part is devs have been aware of these issues since week 1 of release (really beforehand) and we're still waiting on patches.  I suppose if they bleed away players....they don't need to support the game anymore.  Already got our money.

13 hours ago, Severus Snape said:

Meanwhile these are all the same dummies who voted against @admin's alliance mechanics proposal of several months ago, which would have been a breath of fresh air into an already stale RVR system.  Instead of forced alliances we just developed fake ones in the game.    

I was really hyped by the concept of having 5 factions and the devs would have the option to change what nations might be part of what factions if needed for balance.  It would also allow to add in new nations if they want (for flags).  I still wish we go a head and do it.  One nation gets to powerful than make them in a faction by them selves, but honestly do we want the devs trying to balance that?   Hell we haven't seen a peep or patch from them in how long now?   Last major patch was in July with a little hotfix right afterwards.  Nothing since and pretty much silence on the forums?  @admin when this next big patch going to drop?

7 hours ago, Farrago said:

I don 't like going to small on the BR's, but important ports should have a high BR, maybe give option of the port owner to have a BR depending what they want and the port tax's.  Some smaller none important ports can have a lower BR and pay less tax's for the timer or it might have a wider timer window but lower BR.

Cause clans need a reason to own ports, other wise  you do all the hard work for nothing.  Lets look at in the past where you had one clan in a nation do all the hard work but the rest of the nation use all it's ports it captured and holds.  I honestly think sub region ports should pay taxes to the main capital port (Governor) and than that port pays to the KIng.  This means there is a reason to own and hold regions and capitals, to make money.

There should be two clan list.  PORT BATTLE LIST that is made for only port battles. and the Crafting friendly clan list which isn't the same and normally doesn't change.  Some clans don't do any crafting but show up to protect ports and they take up slots for crafting clans, same back.   

6 hours ago, Daniboy3000 said:

Why not just remove the port bonuses, RvR was working before they were introduced and there is too much ship customization anyways...

I honestly don't think port bonuses are an issue, it's more just the population inbalance and the fact that most nations don't fight each other.   People get a happy spot and other than some hard core players that want to push the RvR the rest just do there own thing.   

• Like 1