Game-Labs Forum

Books for Trade Ships?

Jack Spencer

Question

I have never understood why combat experience points are required to earn Books for Trade Ships. I believe most trade ships are used for cargo/pass missions and are better off with speed and no guns. Why not allow trade ships to earn useful books (Ballast tuning, Carpenters, Marines, etc) by number of missions completed or XP gained by sailing?

• Like 5

8 answers to this question

13 hours ago, Jack Spencer said:

Why not allow trade ships to earn useful books (Ballast tuning, Carpenters, Marines, etc) by number of missions completed or XP gained by sailing?

Great idea.  I've never seen this suggested before.  Seems unrelated to unlock the knowdge slots on a Traders ship by fighting.  Makes more sense to open up these slots by trading, fishing, crafting, or sailing.

I'd be okay if these slots were restricted to speed, production, catch, etc.  Seems natural to modify trade related attributes.

• Like 1

If I remember right and @admin can correct me on this, "Reason you don't get xp for sailing towards ship knowledge cause it could be abused."   Though never explained how cause it's from one city to the next distances so you can't exploit the distance.  I can see if it pays you for being out at sea than yes some one can just AFK and get XP.  Just make it a low xp you get so it wouldn't matter much.

• Like 1

I would believe the admins here are promoting the use of all ships for fighting, including the traders. The original traders in this game were either lightly armed or unarmed until you reached Le Gros venture, now they are well armed. Historically East Indiamen were used for national support. I cannot remember as this time under which king (Louis XIV  or XV) but using indiamen to fight English warships to take control of some India Ports is a classic example of pressing merchants into fight for the crown.

They do have books for sailing, fighting and personnel.Maybe a traders section would be a nice expansion of experience enhancements.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sea Archer said:

As long as you do not use trade ships for fighting, you don't need the upgrade slots, if you fight with them, you get the xp to open the slots.

Therefore the current mechanics are ok for me.

Sure you need them, all that gives you + to speed will help traders, or do those bonuses not count in OW?

• Like 2