Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hethwill

Black Seas

3 minutes ago, Kpt Lautenschlaeger said:

Cheers, didn't realise it was on pre-order already.

Me neither. Was "woken up" this morning with their tweet.

One of the things their sculptor team talked about is the ability to use different sterns and figureheads to customize the ships.

2b2d87bd-ebb0-424d-bab6-f9a7a5c30bb2.jpg?ct=t%28Warlord_Wednesday_Black+Seas_Special_4_Sept19%29&mc_cid=a5292acd69&mc_eid=%5BUNIQID%5D

Can someone explain to my stupid friend, who browsed the web-page but still doesn't quite get it, what this is and how it works?

@Hethwill I need more ships in yet another scale like a hole in my head! Yet there is something about the size and plastic model aspect of these that is appealing. 

I am skeptical about the rules through. The designer spends a lot of time saying how they simplified sailing so the "average" wargamer can understand it! Warlord does trend this way or at least for a "Hollywood" version. 

I would go for the smaller ships and hope that they come out with AWI schooners sooner rather than later. I would use this scale for the lake battles. 

Miniatures Market has the bundles at a much better deal than direct through Warlord. At least for US customers. 

Edited by DeRuyter

2 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

I think this is not a video game or an mmo but I would still manage to be ganked. 

Table top miniatures game. 

12 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Can someone explain to my stupid friend, who browsed the web-page but still doesn't quite get it, what this is and how it works?

Gaming on a table, with ship models and face to face :)

No keyboard warriors, just pure delight imagination fun.

13 minutes ago, DeRuyter said:

I am skeptical about the rules through. The designer spends a lot of time saying how they simplified sailing so the "average" wargamer can understand it! Warlord does trend this way or at least for a "Hollywood" version. 

I suspect they did the "quick access rules" and then the "advance rules" chapters.

So to give both sides of the coin something to look at.

Honestly cannot be simpler than Fighting Sails(simplest i ever saw and really easy to get into but can give way to very complex battles) or to a point, less cinematic than Sails of Glory ( which i think really shines for a Master&Commander type of hollywood on the table with the ship to ship focus ).

@Hethwill They seem to be positioning Black Seas for both sides - larger fleet actions and ship to ship or small actions with several ships on a side. I think Fighting Sail was always designed for larger fleet actions in mind. Interesting that one of the designers of Black Seas also worked on the old WH "Trafalgar" rules. 

17 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Gaming on a table, with ship models and face to face :)

No keyboard warriors, just pure delight imagination fun.

So, how much stuff do you need to order to be able to play with 3-4 friends?

i'd say the starter and rules are enough. Each one commanding a couple ships.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DeRuyter said:

Fighting Sail was always designed for larger fleet actions in mind

Definitely !

Maybe in the future they will create a digital version of their board game as monopoly, UNO, risk etc through steam :)

15 minutes ago, Wyy said:

Maybe in the future they will create a digital version of their board game as monopoly, UNO, risk etc through steam :)

Can use Tabletop Simulator and have fun already. Just buy the ruleset and use some of the models made by community. :)