Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Powderhorn

Hegemony - Pt. 2

Some time ago, I raised the issue of Hegemony, and what might be done to address it.  Presently, I am hearing the same concerns - so I thought I might raise the issue again with perhaps a small suggestion to alleviate the strains of hegemony.

One of the big concerns is that port bonuses are a huge part of what makes a ship potent in the current patch.  I do not think that port bonuses are going away - and I think it would be a bad idea to do so.  I believe they have been brought to a good place, however, the big concern is what happens after a faction loses its major port bonus port - instead of a slight difference in capabilities, that difference becomes much more stark.

Capital Ports and their respective regions were so created so that standard factions would always have a fallback point to rebuild from.  I argue that in the spirit of that idea, Nation Capitals should have some inherent port bonuses.  An easy way to do this would be to treat them as de facto 35 point ports, and give them each of the shipbuilding bonuses (Hull, Sail, Mast, Crew, Gunnery) at level 3.

What this accomplishes is sets a floor for how far down standard factions can be pushed, while still leaving room for growth if they conquer ports with more points available.  This does not ensure they will have access to all the woods - those would need to be attained through other means, further encouraging conquest beyond protected waters.

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

Nation Capitals should have some inherent port bonuses.

totally agree, but not all national capitals. I think that the three great powers of the caribe in that time, France, Britain and Spain would have this port bonuses, for example 35 port points, and probably Netherlands too, but i think that in this case sigthly nerferd, for example 20 port points.

a good idea could be that each player could choose the bonuses that he want in those ports (maximum level 3) but paying a doubloon amount for it. For example, for level 1, 100 doublones, for level 2, 200 and for level three 500, and increase it according to the ratio of the ship.
For example, if I want a trinco with sail bonus 3 and crew bonus 3, I go to the shipyard, i select those bonuses and at the end the final cost increase in 1000 doubloons, like a renting.

Edited by Despe
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

I think random might be a bit better as it might discourage people from moving out of capital area.

The reason I shy away from random is that if someone randomly gets something really good, they'll be unwilling to sail it away from their port.  Repeatable is replaceable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

The reason I shy away from random is that if someone randomly gets something really good, they'll be unwilling to sail it away from their port.  Repeatable is replaceable.

If they are too scared to sail their good ships - who cares? That’s their fault and It’s better for the rest of us.

I like the idea of default level 3 (maybe only 2) but only if we pay for it during the build or during permit purchase. What would nations without capitals do? Not having port bonuses would denote the "Hard" and "Impossible" nations?

12 minutes ago, van der Clam said:

I like the idea of default level 3 (maybe only 2) but only if we pay for it during the build or during permit purchase. What would nations without capitals do? Not having port bonuses would denote the "Hard" and "Impossible" nations?

The only factions without Nation Capitals are Russia, Prussia, and Poland.  They are notable as being "impossible" (facts on the ground not withstanding).

• Like 2

Personally I think the notion of crafting locations and port bonuses to be a decidedly poor mechanic to have in an OW MMOesque type of game.  As does the stupid and artificial limits that permits place on the design overall.  

I'd much a system where crafters are specialized and production being heavily reliant on the the prowess/proficiency of said crafters.  As you recall @Powderhorn you were one of the few aggie blueprint crafters in the US at one point way back when and I found that style of crafting where BPs rare and only a handful of folks in each nation had them provided a little comradery and intricacy to crafting....if only on a small scale.  To use another game as an example, in Star Wars Galaxies every crafter could build base level quality items, but only the best could produce the elite stuff.  I much prefer a system where the crafters decided how good the ships are, not the ports.  

• Like 3

also We REALLY need to have specialized crafting trees built in the game.  1 clan crafter making everything is mind numbingly basic and counter intuitive to a clan or even nation based game where you SHOULD have to rely on others.  A ship builder should have to focus on 1 branch of ships ideally.  Light / Frigate / Heavy / Trader.  A ship building could then focus on speed or tank...something along those lines.  

This would make crafting infinitely more dynamic and provide resources to a proper player run economy where not everyone can print out the same cookie cutter ships.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Powderhorn said:

Capital Ports and their respective regions were so created so that standard factions would always have a fallback point to rebuild from.  I argue that in the spirit of that idea, Nation Capitals should have some inherent port bonuses.  An easy way to do this would be to treat them as de facto 35 point ports, and give them each of the shipbuilding bonuses (Hull, Sail, Mast, Crew, Gunnery) at level 3.

All bonuses should be prescripted in that case. Each bonus at level 2, except one at level 3 and one at level 4. And that bonuses should give some national flavor to each capital port.

For example: Brits can receive Gunnery 4 and Crew 3, French - Sailing 4 and Mast 3, etc...

7 minutes ago, Malcolm3 said:

All bonuses should be prescripted in that case. Each bonus at level 2, except one at level 3 and one at level 4. And that bonuses should give some national flavor to each capital port.

For example: Brits can receive Gunnery 4 and Crew 3, French - Sailing 4 and Mast 3, etc...

That was an alternative thought I had, but the math came up cleanly for 35 points at 3 ea.  Besides, people get too in the weeds about who gets what bonuses and what bonuses are overpowered compared to others... seemed sanest to keep them all the same.

17 hours ago, Powderhorn said:

I argue that in the spirit of that idea, Nation Capitals should have some inherent port bonuses.  An easy way to do this would be to treat them as de facto 35 point ports, and give them each of the shipbuilding bonuses (Hull, Sail, Mast, Crew, Gunnery) at level 3.

What this accomplishes is sets a floor for how far down standard factions can be pushed, while still leaving room for growth if they conquer ports with more points available.

What this actually accomplishes is:-

1.  Everyone, including non-clan players, will now put their first shipyard at the Nation Capital.

2.  Because everyone can now build ships with all PB3 bonuses, you have effectively changed the PB differential to one level, so drastically reduced the effective presence of PBs in the game.

In a competitive PvP game, there are as many losers as there are winners, by definition.  Do you enhance the winners or do you assist the losers?  Do you seek to reward success or do you seek to strengthen opposition?  These are genuine design questions that clearly have not been answered in this game, and as a result it just lurches from one half-thought-out mechanism to another depending on which group is the most vocal at the time.

Edited by Karvala