Game-Labs Forum

Just a question though (do not take this wrongly please).

Why Scotland? For the majority of preferred game period (1690 - 1815) it was integral part of Great Britain through the acts of union of 1707, while being a personal union with England much earlier. Wouldn't it make more sense to just go straight France? Also the Bourbon flag would be probably more suitable for the game period.

Once again, please do not take this wrongly. I mean no disrespect. I am myself looking for a possible French fleet (just love the french ships) to join and I am Interested in your group, however I am a bit confused.

No worries. I'm off Scottish heritage, so it is more an excuse. I can play french, and still be "English". Historically, not the best fit, however the last of the Jacobite Uprisings was put down in 1746 I believe, and France sent ships in support of that. The last of the Stuart line, rightful kings of Scotland, died (don't qoute me) 1809 (it might have been 20 years earlier, I cannot remember).

The GRAND truth, my grandmother is an English warbride (came to Canada in 1946). So I've connections to England add well. Frankly, the history in the RN is captivating and I do have a lot of respect for it (and otherwise would have loved to follow the Highlander regiments throughout history.... Except for....)...

GAMING-WISE, I just find it hard to play for the most popular nation.

So this is my compromise: I am Scottish descent, fighting the largest naval power out there, my group has enough of a historical thread to be plausible, and there is plenty of room for other non-scot players to fight under the banner of an alliance (especially French players).

Great question, no offense taken.

PS-as noted earlier, the history of our period, had not yet come to pass in Naval Action... Otherwise, why even play France, whom were not a Naval Power in the Western Hemisphere by 1815...

Ok. I understand you presonal position, I also cannot play the most popular nation.

In regards to history, sure the french supported Jacobite uprisings, but that was more from a destabilizing the enemy point of view then helping scots getting a catholic king.

Anyways, I wish you luck with your group. I will be watching it from time to time and maybe ask to join :-).

Ah yes, we do need a North American presence for France (irl). This alliances allows for both English & French speaking to play. I have 4 French speaking members, all of whom are bi-lingual and put up with me trying to learn.

Eventually, the goal is to have Squadron Vice-Admirals (Vice-Amiral d'Escadre) that can run either full squadrons of a particular language or timezone.

We have an internal ranking system in development... We need a bit more game content to finalize...

53px-French_Navy-Rama_NG-OF8.svg.png

You are correct & correct. If you Google "Jacobite Flower" you will see many variations on this. Knowing my limited photoshop skills, the House of York was the best fit. I qoute below from https://jacobite.wordpress.com/2006/11/06/the-white-rose/

"I had always puzzled over the use of this symbol by Jacobites. I made the suggestion at the CRS Conference a couple of years ago that it might have something to do with the fact that many recusant families were those who had Yorkist sympathies at the time of the Wars of the Roses, such as the Pooles – but this was quite rightly rebuffed. So I wondered if it owed something to the fact that many Jacobites came from Yorkshire (although Lancashire is surely more famous), or to the Exclusion Crisis, when supporters of the Duke of York might have identified themselves with a white rose…but according to Shield and Lang, the symbol derives from the date of the birth of James III, on 10th (24th) June 1688, the longest day of the year ‘when the white rose flowers.’"

Lol, it is purely for my own enjoyment. I hope none take offense to its use in this application.

I'm dangerous enough to know not enough, but still use it!

Even the Crest (coat of arms? I may use the term incorrectly) below in my signature is technically not "correct" but serves my purpose. It belonged to Mary (Stuart), Queen of Scots, Queen Consort of France.

(ironically, it was with her coronation that the Auld Alliance was essentially rendered null... But I'd need to do a bit more homework tp confirm that...)

• 2 weeks later...

That I need even list the reasons why a person would fight for France, let alone the Auld Alliance.  But if I must...

Louis_XIV_of_France%20r2_zpsrybmswwg.png

Ahah, excellent propaganda :lol:

Edited by Dagann
  • Like 3

What shall you sail captains?

Im going to be either a merchant or privateer what shall you be?

And Grim since your the leader you could give us titles and ranks :D

Edited by Mass

What shall you sail captains?

Im going to be either a merchant or privateer what shall you be?

And Grim since your the leader you could give us titles and ranks :D

Mass - you will be a happy addition!  Be sure to visit www.auldalliance.enjin.com and resister.

As for what we will sail - I believe we will wait for more "certain" information ... with respect to the game design.  What I can say is that we are in need of all disciplines:

• Naval
  • Privateer
  • Merchants
  • Crafers
  • Explorers

Within these disciplines, naturally, each of the following are covered:

• PVP (Player versus Player)
  • RVR (Realm versus Realm)
  • PVE (Player versus Environment...aka missions and NPCs)

We have a bare bones ranking structure (see here).  As noted, until I know more of game design, I am purposely holding off formalizing how progression will work. 

Hope that helps!

• Like 1