Game-Labs Forum

encouragement to go PvP.

Encourage new players or even veteran players to try out pvp without the feeling of losing a ship for nothing, maybe this can be done if the capped OW ships had unlimited durability?

Say I want to start doing pvp, the only thing i've done is PvE and im really uncomfortable risking my purple ship with upgrades worth 1.5mill for probably nothing. I can capture a Belle Poule, fine it has 4 upgrade slots, its crew space and random port bonuses which means in theory it should be NO MATCH for a crafted ship with full port bonuses, but..

If I sink or get captured, i know for the fact that;

1. i will keep my ship, even though its an AI specked one.
  2. my upgrades worth 10 times more then the ship wont be lost.
  3. the only thing i have to reequip are my repairs and cannons.
  4. I can just undock and go at it again.

To stop an exploit  of maybe printing free upgrades, decent ai ships or doubloons i wouldnt let them be capturable from one player to another, they should also drop alot less doubloons then usual, and i wouldnt let them drop upgrades, but i would let them count for the pvp missions so it wouldnt be a total waste of time for the player that MIGHT be harassed by them, atleast then it wont be for nothing. And as it is today people can already exploit the pvp missions with alts and ai ships if they wanted to.

I think this in overall would make a good change to the game where players would be encouraged to go out of their comfort zone without the risk of losing everything for nothing

27 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

I wouldn't mind provided there was a 24 hour cooldown. Last thing anyone wants is to be fighting the same person constantly.

??? 

the reason to have this is because people dont want to risk their ships/upgrades, if you kill the same player again over and over again thats a good thing for you because you get to finish your pvp mission redicilously fast, let alone that the player sunk has to sail from the port  which mean you will have time to get away from that area if you dont want to fight him again

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Wyy said:

??? 

the reason to have this is because people dont want to risk their ships, if you kill the same player again over and over again thats a good thing for you because you get to finish your pvp mission redicilously fast, let alone that the player sunk has to sail from the port  which mean you will have time to get away from that area if you dont want to fight him again

What I mean is often I've found, with DLC ships in particular. That if you kill someone on a pandora outside a port where they have an outpost, they'll then come out in a hercules, requin or hermione and will keep coming out and wasting my time by dying. It's not fun for me to not get rewarded.

You only get rewards for killing them once per mission. So I won't complete my mission, all I'll do is waste time.

Edited by Gregory Rainsborough
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Why dont you propose something that reduce the price of those upgrades?

It is ridiculous that a upgrade costs more than the ship with cannons.

If the AI spawn way more quantity every day of those ressources, contracts will be filled way faster and players wont need to place higher bids to get them in a reasonable time, getting them also way cheaper.

The rarity of the upgrades is what rises their prices, make them more common and they wont reach absurd prices in the market.

Same thing could be done with chests. 

no they wont, because people dont sail out an capture ai today, i see plenty of 5th rates sailing around, if durability on ships would be readded to crafted ships even then the upgrades would last longer = would lead to cheaper upgrades and ship prices would go above them.

I never kill players sailing ships with refit, its either a crafted one with port bonuses, ships with strange build from elite notes, noted ships in general, or dlc ships. The only times i see crew space ships are when i see an guy trading cargo for the cargo mission in his store bought/captured traders brig

Edited by Guest

38 minutes ago, Lancelot Teggin said:

Or simple remove ship upgrades and books and keep everything vanilla only with the wood stats besides this nothing else so no grinding needed for "special upgrades" for pvp

To be fair, upgrades and stuff also gives incentive to play and gather and craft stuff, also a bit of diversity, otherwise the game would get very stale and boring, there is already not much to do in this game

3 hours ago, Wyy said:

no they wont, because people dont sail out an capture ai today, i see plenty of 5th rates sailing around, if durability on ships would be readded to crafted ships even then the upgrades would last longer = would lead to cheaper upgrades and ship prices would go above them.

I never kill players sailing ships with refit, its either a crafted one with port bonuses, ships with strange build from elite notes, noted ships in general, or dlc ships. The only times i see crew space ships are when i see an guy trading cargo for the cargo mission in his store bought/captured traders brig

You clearly have never fought me, or if you have you have never beaten me.  This is EXACTLY what I do in the PVP 1v1 zone, every day.  I spam Global my exact location and issue challenges.  Ask anyone who has sunk me, AI capped random ship, maybe basic mods only.  Watch Global chat, I spam it enough!

READ THE DAMN THREAD MAN

Edited by Atreides

42 minutes ago, Atreides said:

You clearly have never fought me, or if you have you have never beaten me.  This is EXACTLY what I do in the PVP 1v1 zone, every day.  I spam Global my exact location and issue challenges.  Ask anyone who has sunk me, AI capped random ship, maybe basic mods only.  Watch Global chat, I spam it enough!

READ THE DAMN THREAD MAN

killed you tons of times in the shallow waters in your snow ;) atm im just lurking on the forums getting ready for classic wow because i cba spending more time ingame, just waiting for competent devs to do something

46 minutes ago, Wyy said:

killed you tons of times in the shallow waters in your snow ;) atm im just lurking on the forums getting ready for classic wow because i cba spending more time ingame, just waiting for competent devs to do something

I will be in the 1v1 zone in an hour or so, either in a store bought ship or an AI cap boat, come kill me big boy, i will announce on global.  However, if you are not even playing the game, you have no ground to stand on.

I don't know about everyone else but I don't mind losing ships and am not afraid to take mine out. What I don't like is losing them in unfair fights. I've played at least 200 hours since release and can count on 2 hands the amount of fair fights I've been in  I advocate a PvP Arena that teams or solo players can go to, group up and engage in a fairly equal fight against another team (mods and port bonuses will still be a thing). Solo-players will be group together or can be picked-up by teams missing a player or 2. Set the battle limit at 1000 and then see what groups bring in. Lots of strategy could be employed. A team of 2 Wasas and 1 Belle Poulle vs a team of 4 in Trincs? that would be a good fight. 

I've read a lot of posts and steam reviews and one of the most constant things I've seen new players complain about is how most fights they engage in are unfair. I don't think anyone ever rage quit after an evenly matched but losing fight. 

MOBAs like Overwatch and DotA have a lot of strategy and can provide continuous fun. Some aspect of what they bring could do very well in NA; kind of like a mini-Naval Action: Legends in the OW. Set battles where you know the enemy will have a similar BR as you.