Game-Labs Forum
Atreides

PVP WILD FUN For ALL WITH MINIMAL COST

It's not a bad idea but it would be a lot to implement. I'm sure the devs have other things they'd rather work on and honestly I feel like there are a lot of things that take more precedent besides this. PvP Zone isn't perfect, but it provides some fun fights. I

'd actually much prefer a zone that acts as a mini-NA:Legends but using whatever ship you bring in. It simply divides everyone that joins it into two equal teams. I prefer sailing to a queue location over random OW engagements, which are almost always one-sided due to RoE and the large amount of ships.

Maybe even better, group "pick-up" games. I think they would be fun and work thusly. A team of 3/5/10 or whatever number the devs think it should be against another equal size team of equivalent BR.   If you win the round, you get a point. If you lose, you go grab another ship and try again or go do something else. At server reset, the group with the most victorious rounds for that day gets special prizes. I think this could work in very interesting ways. Solo players can simply sail out to the zone and join the list of "pick-up" players. Groups that may be 1 or 2 players short can grab some of these pick-up players or when there are enough pick-up players they are automatically put together More than 1 of these fights can occur at once. There would be a lot of strategy, team composition, etc in this type of set-up. if the BR limit is 1000, do you bring a a 3rd rate, 2 5ths and 2 6ths? maybe 4 5ths? Lots of combinations and strategies, which is always fun!

it's the start of an idea and requires some fleshing out, but I think it would be great to be able to go somewhere on the map and be guaranteed at least a somewhat balance fight. Even PvP zone is rarely balanced outside of 1v1, and 1v1 can be very unbalanced due to individual skill, like Hachi pointed out. 5v5 may erase a little of a new players mistakes and may tone down a very advanced player's skill. Sure, the best players will likely rule the zone, but at least it wouldn't be a gank fest. people like the PvP leaderboards and bragging about how good their clan/nation is. This would give another, more tangible way to see a clan's skill in a fair fight and not their skill in seal clubbing. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Atreides said:

I don't take it personal, I take it on face value, you flitter in like a bird and take a shit on an idea someone has, this time its me, because as the past shows anybody is a good target for your charming approach at persuasion.  You spend time and energy posting on a forum on a game you say you abandoned and don't play anymore.

So if I am reading all that correctly, you think the ideas I present MIGHT work? if super mods and super ships were removed?  Or are you saying it won't work because of differential experience.  Using that logic one would think the only time to buy an MMO is at release, if you didn't do it then...why bother others will be better than you.  That is asinine and you well know it.

This is a business to the devs, you do not run a business on "Certain Elites" You run it on the market, you tweak and adjust based on what customers want, not friends.  If you work on the developing the first group, that is business acumen for a successful company, if you disregard the first group to high five the second, you have a hobby and are pissing away potential financial gains and market share.  My focus on this entire topic is NOT limited to what I want, it is what is healthy for the population of the game, new players, having people race out in boats whenever the call comes, working together, having fun fights, reducing the salt and the bile.  I want to do what I can to help this game survive, that requires money which comes from catering to the market as a whole, and not the opinions of a few "Masters of all they see"

You have said you are bored with this game and don't play anymore, you say that people are trash, it's not worth your time, you can't be bothered anymore and on etc etc...

And yet you come into this carefully thought out proposal and say " You can think of 1000 ideas on how to improve the game for new players and I promise you all 1000 will not work"  You then offer counter suggestions, but then say they won't work.  So therefore you think all is lost, nothing will work, and you are done with this game...  So why are you even on these forums anymore, because the only thing I see is a witty guy that likes to take the piss out of anyone he sees, spending time here to shit on any effort someone is making.  I may well be naive, and your studies of human-social interactions within a competitive framework may be deeper than mine.  But in speaking with you in the past, I sort of doubt it. The framework I approach this with has a positive effect on newer players, whom bring with them other new players and so on (read sales and $)

If you think that something else WOULD work, then post it and we can talk about YOUR ideas, but thus far you have added NOTHING OF VALUE to these ideas and have simply swooped in to shit on something, on a forum, of a game, you say you don't care about or play anymore.  If you truly believe the devs will not waver in their " They like the videos of reverse seal clubbing 20 newbs with his 5 clan mates with meta ships, mods and 4000 hours more experience." At the expense of their game's financial survival, why the hell are you even still posting on these boards?  Serious question because when I leave something behind I don't go back and write a tart letter every so often just to remind people I USED to be there and I'm still bitter. and that last snipe at the devs...  " The UI is also a disaster imo. Its far to complex kinda like the roe, mods and game in general. "   LOL, classic Hachi. Dude, you checked out of this game, move one with your life. I will continue to do what I can to help in any way I am able to help make this game viable long term with lots and lots of men willing to get "stuck in" and fight tooth and nail against any opponent, and get their friends to pay money to join them.  I wanted to fully address you this time, but unless you have something to actually ADD to the conversation or propose things yourself for intelligent discussion. I will simply wear a hat from to protect from the bird droppings, and maybe, I will answer your snipes and jabs back in kind.  I am finished with piss takers and really don't care if you think this game is trash and the devs are shit an all that yapping.

You said I had nothing to add to the conversation yet I seem to have wasted alot of energy explaining you to you detail why new players will always avoid patrols and pvp. The inventory advantage is to much. EVE has the same issue. EVE does not have alot of new players if you consider how famous the game is. Everyone loves reading about it. Noone starts playing it because its a grindfest and way to difficult to become competitive. 

You think you're the only person to have ever come up with an idea about patrol zones. People do not like them simply because the game should be an open world sandbox yet there is 0 open world content because there is actually no freeroam content. Patrols are nothing more than a pregame lobby where you sit and wait for the chance of an enemy ship to come fight you. Players that wanted an open world naval action did not want it because of patrols. They wanted it for trading, capturing traders, fighting over land the unpredictability of open world games in general. Patrol zones are exactly the opposite. 

The open world aspect of the game was far better on day 1 of steam release. Back then players actually had to sail places to get goods. Not produce them in ports. There were players that got filthy rich just from hunting traders.  All a new player had to do was buy the cheapest fir fir surprise he could find and go find traders. It was simple. The best mods and ships only required a tiny bit of work and a friend that was level 50 crafter. Blue mods were only 2% worse than yellow ones anyway. You were competitive with shitty items. 

You don't try and make a fundamentally bad mechanic good. You remove it. Nerfing mods yet adding port bonuses is not actually nerfing mods. Its adding more mods that can be stacked. 1 Simple fact about mods is that the second you need to add caps you have to many multipliers. Now you might say that has nothing to do with actual patrols zones but it has to do with the game in general and how welcoming it is for newcomers. Since you are making this topic for the good of new players I am sure you are open to the possibility that its not only the patrol zones that are at fault. You need to look at the broader picture. 

You seem to be under the illusion that the devs worry about this games financial survival. The game was already released in 2016. It sold something like 300K copies. Ever wonder why sequels existed?  95% of games released in 2016 are dead just like this.

Battlefield 1 all time peak 250K, now its 25K 

Call Of Duty WW2 all time peak 56K, now its 1,7K

Games loose 90% of their population in the first 6 months and there are certain exceptions to the rule but naval action is not one of them. 

https://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Keep a close eye on these stats. The same games have been on the top 100 postions for the last years. 99% of games die. Once month when some AAA game is released it will be in the top 10 for a day or 2 and then die. 

The devs did not wipe all assets on "release" for gameplay reasons. They did it so the playercount would stay higher for longer. Postponing the inevitable. By December the player base will be at 400 again. Maybe the will make a single player Naval action because if they did we could make content ourselves since I am sure this game is mod friendly. Unity games generally are. 

• Like 2

Thank you for your opinions. 

I will continue to try to HELP with positive input into the game mechanics, player base growth and improvement of newer player experience in regards to working toward decreasing the experience gap between them and vets, because every vet started as a noob.  You clearly have written the future of this game off, and think the devs don't care to try to make new sales from new customers.  So I hope you enjoy whatever game you actually play, and wish you well Hachi, I will miss sailing with you, your angry Irish braying over teamspeak, the sharp, biting jokes.  Take care, glad you popped in to see the place where you used to be a part of the community.

Edited by Atreides

Personally I never liked the idea of the patrol zones, though I think the shallow one could be considered a "success" if any of them could.  Patrols seem anathema to the idea of an OW sandbox game.  The appeal of said sandbox is that PVP (or anything) can happen anywhere/anytime.  Patrols go against this philosophy.  Now if we had sectors on the map where PVP was restricted or limited, like most successful open world MMOs have, a zone where pure PVP happens would be a good idea.  

I'm not sure ANY adjustment to PVP overall with have an impact in the game's health long term.  Far too many flaws.  I think the biggest "change" that could happen would be to make the zones FFA and group dependent.  Especially the shallows.  

Your suggestion would be better placed in a lobby system honestly

Lobby system would require a lot of coding and front end work that is beyond what I think reasonable.  My suggestions AFAIK, would mean tweaking a few lines of code, such as changing >>TUMBADO Bermuda frigates available [8] change to [999]<<  This has to be attractive for the devs time as well, because they are busy with other things, and having them adding this to their list of work has to be considerate of that as well.

1v1 battles fighting an opponent in the same ship is as equal a fight as you can have, your skill or luck is the deciding factor on the outcome.  Like a game of pool, or table tennis, or darts.  The thing is, you have to factor human will to fight vs fear of loss.  My suggestion almost negates that, the player has some skin in the game, he paid the entrance fee for a ship, the rest is up to him.  Win/lose he will learn, and he will have fun, and he will earn combat marks, so his efforts will be rewarded.  And he weill want to become better.  That is the psychology behind successful competitive sports, and games in general.

Edited by Atreides
  • Like 1

A lot of good points on boths sides here.  If you could take the best parts of everybody's suggestions it would be an improvement.  But I agree with Hachi the underlying problems have been there for a long time and the developers are not going to make the necessary changes.  I genuinely believe some people will never learn and a lot never do because they never taker a risk.  The best players have learned by fighting the best and losing.  I agree mods are limited help again a top player but the willingness to ask them how they beat you and learn from it is more priceless then the best upgrades in the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roadkill said:

A lot of good points on boths sides here.  If you could take the best parts of everybody's suggestions it would be an improvement.  But I agree with Hachi the underlying problems have been there for a long time and the developers are not going to make the necessary changes.  I genuinely believe some people will never learn and a lot never do because they never taker a risk.  The best players have learned by fighting the best and losing.  I agree mods are limited help again a top player but the willingness to ask them how they beat you and learn from it is more priceless then the best upgrades in the game.

I do not agree with the bold part, The developers LOVE this game more than I do, this game is their labour of love for far more years than I have been around.  I am sure if given the right suggestions, that take into consideration their effort and hard work, along with a rational and well reasoned set of changes, they would engage my ideas and work them over in developer discussions.  The amount of abuse, mockery and general ungrateful attitudes they have suffered from the toxic elements of this community has hardened their hearts to our suggestions.  I seek to move above all that bullshit and address them as one adult to another adult, with respect.  The developer and I BOTH want this game to be the jewel; it CAN be, and I am willing to do whatever I can to help.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Atreides said:

I do not agree with the bold part, The developers LOVE this game more than I do, this game is their labour of love for far more years than I have been around.  I am sure if given the right suggestions, that take into consideration their effort and hard work, along with a rational and well reasoned set of changes, they would engage my ideas and work them over in developer discussions.  The amount of abuse, mockery and general ungrateful attitudes they have suffered from the toxic elements of this community has hardened their hearts to our suggestions.  I seek to move above all that bullshit and address them as one adult to another adult, with respect.  The developer and I BOTH want this game to be the jewel; it CAN be, and I am willing to do whatever I can to help.

Just cause you want something to be good doesn't mean it's going to be good. Having an emotional attachment can make things worse sometimes. Developers more often than not do not know what their players like and dislike about their games. That's why so many sequels are bad. 

On 8/25/2019 at 4:23 PM, Atreides said:

You have nothing of value to add to this and are simply taking the piss mate.  Knock it off and go post a funny meme mocking me for trying to help improve this game, not in the mood for your acerbic wit.

Well, "nothing of value to add" except he's right. I applaud your effort, though.

This sandbox MMO teaches that gear is king so hard that the timidity you wish to alleviate won't budge. 

I have not been involved in the suggestions section in the past, I was just one of the rabble of shit talkers.  I appreciate and understand the appearance that I am just now stepping into this naive.  However, I am trying to approach this from a balanced perspective, taking the newer player's complaints and experiences.  My experiences in the PVP zone, such as being tagged before entering the 1v1 by a guy with 6 jumping in right after crashing into each other like starving monkeys being thrown a single banana. 😑

I am also considerate of what I am asking from the developers, in that they would would need to decide to put in effort for this, but I believe the effort would not be taxing, the concentric circles are already coded with the ruleset.  They would just need to be moved on the map.  The AI ship drop in port is already coded, the number would just have to be altered along with price.  The additional coding thing AFAIK would be making those PVP ADMIRALTY ships fully gunned with repairs and rum in the hold along with the inability to remove those repairs, rum and guns and limit the player to only being able to have 1 at a time and those PVP Admiralty ships can not leave the PVP zone or are locked in port on days the PVP zone is elsewhere, to prevent people trying to game the system, you also can not break up a ship if it has guns on it. 

In the last week, I have been braying and bragging on GB chat whenever a puppy killer arrives, chasing them away, doing everything to catch them,  there are now more and more pinging to KPR, Trux etc. when the call goes out.  Preying on the weak has diminished, when it starts the response has been admirable.  This is the kind of spirit all new players need to feel, having a freakin fight on even terms of gear and a very low cost to participate with rewards given even if they get owned every fight.  They still had fun, got to meet some new people, and did some pew pew pew.

Besides, what moron is going to put cartegna caulking, a naval clock, and elite french refit on a bermuda frigate?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Atreides said:

In the last week, I have been braying and bragging on GB chat whenever a puppy killer arrives, chasing them away, doing everything to catch them,  there are now more and more pinging to KPR, Trux etc. when the call goes out.  Preying on the weak has diminished, when it starts the response has been admirable.  This is the kind of spirit all new players need to feel, having a freakin fight on even terms of gear and a very low cost to participate with rewards given even if they get owned every fight.  They still had fun, got to meet some new people, and did some pew pew pew.

This is from an individual perspective the best thing you can do for new players. After all it's the communitys responsibility to create content in open world sandbox games. You're also not wrong about better access to ships in ports. It's however only a solution if the inventory gap is minimal. 

Back when free 1 duration 3rd rates were an easy way to get risk free pvp the gap between those ai 3rd rates and a 3 duration 3rd rate was about 5% give or take. The main advantage was not risking mods. Skill books removed that and that's a great thing along with 1 duration ships. I consider that the best change besides leeway in the past 2 years. If the Devs were to give us access to captured ai 3rd rates now however it would not change anything for example. A port bonus bellona is at minimum 20% stronger if you take everything into account. I would actually say just removing port bonuses might be enough since books are not that bad alone. 

• Like 6

And then the Beauty of the system is it WILL NOT ALLOW the shitty gameplay of a couple vets that I just had the pleasure of being griefed by.  [HAVOC] HulioTKD tagged my Wasa sailing into La Mona (about 30 seconds from dock) because I had decided to buy the Rattisvan DLC and found nothing in the PVP zone after sailing over from Aves.  I explained and asked him to disengage as a sportsman, told him I would not fire first, and asked him to let me pop into port, redeem a Rattisvan, then I would put reps on it from my Wasa and some guns and go out to 1v1 zone with him for some fun.  He said no and immediately stern raked me as [HAVOC]Bodeye in another Ratt looked on and laughed.  I was then sail shocked and rage boarded.  I sat back in shock and watched a guy I've sailed with and fought beside as he won the boarding in two shots, and sunk my intact ship while Bodye mocked me.  Really, that actually happened.  Sad to say but I'm done with the PVP zone tonight, I'll go do something else with disrespectful, griefing shit being pulled right outside La Mona. I don't even care about the ship, I just am astounded in the piss poor attitude of these two against another player.  Picture of the boat with stats:

3A03BF83C36EF5C34387BC02529B1CA9ACCF90D7

Very discouraging, its a cheap boat I saw in shop, grabbed it and put Meds on it to grind and have fun PVP, certainly not the shit that happened.  And you know, after a few housekeeping things I'm done with Naval Action tonight, and that's two less characters in the server for the next 8 hours.  And looking at BATTLE chat, and popping out in a basic cutter, they are pulling the same shit on others, not letting them into the PVP zone and tagging outside La Mona  @rediii  You have a couple guys @huliotkd and @Bodye  That are being greifing lowlifes.  SHAME if this is what your clan has become.

Edited by Atreides
  • Like 1

Yeah something should be done, i couldnt make it last time in the pvp zone at tumbado either, set sail and got tagged by 4 russians before u could enter the zone..i was like wtf..why not wait till im the zone soo everyone could get some rewards..i was clearly heading there..roe is the same now anyway no use in tagging folks outside..

Asked in chat multiple times, no response..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Atreides said:

And then the Beauty of the system is it WILL NOT ALLOW the shitty gameplay of a couple vets that I just had the pleasure of being griefed by.  [HAVOC] HulioTKD tagged my Wasa sailing into La Mona (about 30 seconds from dock) because I had decided to buy the Rattisvan DLC and found nothing in the PVP zone after sailing over from Aves.  I explained and asked him to disengage as a sportsman, told him I would not fire first, and asked him to let me pop into port, redeem a Rattisvan, then I would put reps on it from my Wasa and some guns and go out to 1v1 zone with him for some fun.  He said no and immediately stern raked me as [HAVOC]Bodeye in another Ratt looked on and laughed.  I was then sail shocked and rage boarded.  I sat back in shock and watched a guy I've sailed with and fought beside as he won the boarding in two shots, and sunk my intact ship while Bodye mocked me.  Really, that actually happened.  Sad to say but I'm done with the PVP zone tonight, I'll go do something else with disrespectful, griefing shit being pulled right outside La Mona. I don't even care about the ship, I just am astounded in the piss poor attitude of these two against another player.  Picture of the boat with stats:

Very discouraging, its a cheap boat I saw in shop, grabbed it and put Meds on it to grind and have fun PVP, certainly not the shit that happened.  And you know, after a few housekeeping things I'm done with Naval Action tonight, and that's two less characters in the server for the next 8 hours.  And looking at BATTLE chat, and popping out in a basic cutter, they are pulling the same shit on others, not letting them into the PVP zone and tagging outside La Mona  @rediii  You have a couple guys @huliotkd and @Bodye  That are being greifing lowlifes.  SHAME if this is what your clan has become.

Getting tagged outside of a freeport is griefing now? What happened to that warserver? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rediii said:

Getting tagged outside of a freeport is griefing now?

correct

just go play something else instead, playing NA is griefing

@rediii

IF you read the post you quoted you already know the answer to your own question.  IF you think that is legitimate play with the situation and actions of everyone involved.  And IF you think griefing a guy that says he is coming right back out to fight, you and you decrew, sail shock rage board and sink a 90% intact boat is anything approaching acceptable behaviour of a player.... I can't help you, you have either been hit in the head or are the very type of toxic player that should be have your account banned, hell I'll write the check for a 200% refund of your money.  Because THAT SHIT PLAY THAT YOU SEEM TO LIKE NOW is one of the biggest problems this game has.  I do not think this is the case, but those two guys were lowlife griefing jerks, lost any respect for them for those actions.  I understand acting shocked and surprised at the anger, but FFS that is not how you treat people.

Edited by Atreides
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Atreides said:

@rediii

IF you read the post you quoted you already know the answer to your own question.  IF you think that is legitimate play with the situation and actions of everyone involved.  And IF you think griefing a guy that says he is coming right back out to fight, you and you decrew, sail shock rage board and sink a 90% intact boat is anything approaching acceptable behaviour of a player.... I can't help you, you have either been hit in the head or are the very type of toxic player that should be have your account banned, hell I'll write the check for a 200% refund of your money.  Because THAT SHIT PLAY THAT YOU SEEM TO LIKE NOW is one of the biggest problems this game has.  I do not think this is the case, but those two guys were lowlife griefing jerks, lost any respect for them for those actions.  I understand acting shocked and surprised at the anger, but FFS that is not how you treat people.

You are quite a carebear but I accept your check

• Like 2

1v1 zone buddy, I'm there almost everyday advertising where I am. 

index.png

Edited by Atreides

12 minutes ago, Atreides said:

1v1 zone buddy, I'm there almost everyday advertising where I am. 

I'm not playing NA atm. But you offered to pay me to not play so I accept that :P 200% of 36,99€ is 73,98€ but I accept 73€ too.

For a 1v1 you need to tell me a date and time to be there. I only accept 18 ST though.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 2:41 AM, Atreides said:

lol

On 8/31/2019 at 2:41 AM, Atreides said:

LOL, GB nation chat never changes......"Help me, im shite" .......

Do you want to loan some reals? looking a little low.....

I now have a Twitch account, and am developing it.  I stream daily for PVP.  I will embed the video of tonight's fun.  before I could get into the 1v1 zone was tagged by VCS gank fleet.  After asking reasonable and getting the HURR DURR MY XP MUST SMASH answer I picked one guys and attacked him.. Caroline Vodka, and fired on no one else, they had no reservations so my Rattisvan  focused one guy trying to angle shots surrounded.  Actually was fun although, ah nevermind, only game mechanic change can fix this.

It is the start of the video.  @admin

Edited by Atreides

On 8/24/2019 at 3:09 PM, HachiRoku said:

the problem with the 1v1 zones is that you loose your ship to a gank before you get there. The skill gap is also far to high for 1v1s anyway. The more time you invest the more mods and better ships you will have. There are far to many mods in game. By mods I include ship builds and port bonuses. Its all mods. Most online games that are skill dependant will give you all you need to be competitive at the start. Games that reward you stronger items with more play time are always very toxic to newcomers. 

Take Reverse as a player for example. He sails the best of the best most of the time. How can you be competitive against that? Yeah. By not going to the 1v1 patrol. 

Oh I would love to be able to give you 100+ Likes for that instead of only one.

• Like 1