Game-Labs Forum

PVP WILD FUN For ALL WITH MINIMAL COST

Thank you for your opinions. 

I will continue to try to HELP with positive input into the game mechanics, player base growth and improvement of newer player experience in regards to working toward decreasing the experience gap between them and vets, because every vet started as a noob.  You clearly have written the future of this game off, and think the devs don't care to try to make new sales from new customers.  So I hope you enjoy whatever game you actually play, and wish you well Hachi, I will miss sailing with you, your angry Irish braying over teamspeak, the sharp, biting jokes.  Take care, glad you popped in to see the place where you used to be a part of the community.

Edited by Atreides

Personally I never liked the idea of the patrol zones, though I think the shallow one could be considered a "success" if any of them could.  Patrols seem anathema to the idea of an OW sandbox game.  The appeal of said sandbox is that PVP (or anything) can happen anywhere/anytime.  Patrols go against this philosophy.  Now if we had sectors on the map where PVP was restricted or limited, like most successful open world MMOs have, a zone where pure PVP happens would be a good idea.  

I'm not sure ANY adjustment to PVP overall with have an impact in the game's health long term.  Far too many flaws.  I think the biggest "change" that could happen would be to make the zones FFA and group dependent.  Especially the shallows.  

Your suggestion would be better placed in a lobby system honestly

Lobby system would require a lot of coding and front end work that is beyond what I think reasonable.  My suggestions AFAIK, would mean tweaking a few lines of code, such as changing >>TUMBADO Bermuda frigates available [8] change to [999]<<  This has to be attractive for the devs time as well, because they are busy with other things, and having them adding this to their list of work has to be considerate of that as well.

1v1 battles fighting an opponent in the same ship is as equal a fight as you can have, your skill or luck is the deciding factor on the outcome.  Like a game of pool, or table tennis, or darts.  The thing is, you have to factor human will to fight vs fear of loss.  My suggestion almost negates that, the player has some skin in the game, he paid the entrance fee for a ship, the rest is up to him.  Win/lose he will learn, and he will have fun, and he will earn combat marks, so his efforts will be rewarded.  And he weill want to become better.  That is the psychology behind successful competitive sports, and games in general.

Edited by Atreides
  • Like 1

A lot of good points on boths sides here.  If you could take the best parts of everybody's suggestions it would be an improvement.  But I agree with Hachi the underlying problems have been there for a long time and the developers are not going to make the necessary changes.  I genuinely believe some people will never learn and a lot never do because they never taker a risk.  The best players have learned by fighting the best and losing.  I agree mods are limited help again a top player but the willingness to ask them how they beat you and learn from it is more priceless then the best upgrades in the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roadkill said:

A lot of good points on boths sides here.  If you could take the best parts of everybody's suggestions it would be an improvement.  But I agree with Hachi the underlying problems have been there for a long time and the developers are not going to make the necessary changes.  I genuinely believe some people will never learn and a lot never do because they never taker a risk.  The best players have learned by fighting the best and losing.  I agree mods are limited help again a top player but the willingness to ask them how they beat you and learn from it is more priceless then the best upgrades in the game.

I do not agree with the bold part, The developers LOVE this game more than I do, this game is their labour of love for far more years than I have been around.  I am sure if given the right suggestions, that take into consideration their effort and hard work, along with a rational and well reasoned set of changes, they would engage my ideas and work them over in developer discussions.  The amount of abuse, mockery and general ungrateful attitudes they have suffered from the toxic elements of this community has hardened their hearts to our suggestions.  I seek to move above all that bullshit and address them as one adult to another adult, with respect.  The developer and I BOTH want this game to be the jewel; it CAN be, and I am willing to do whatever I can to help.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Atreides said:

I do not agree with the bold part, The developers LOVE this game more than I do, this game is their labour of love for far more years than I have been around.  I am sure if given the right suggestions, that take into consideration their effort and hard work, along with a rational and well reasoned set of changes, they would engage my ideas and work them over in developer discussions.  The amount of abuse, mockery and general ungrateful attitudes they have suffered from the toxic elements of this community has hardened their hearts to our suggestions.  I seek to move above all that bullshit and address them as one adult to another adult, with respect.  The developer and I BOTH want this game to be the jewel; it CAN be, and I am willing to do whatever I can to help.

Just cause you want something to be good doesn't mean it's going to be good. Having an emotional attachment can make things worse sometimes. Developers more often than not do not know what their players like and dislike about their games. That's why so many sequels are bad. 

On 8/25/2019 at 4:23 PM, Atreides said:

You have nothing of value to add to this and are simply taking the piss mate.  Knock it off and go post a funny meme mocking me for trying to help improve this game, not in the mood for your acerbic wit.

Well, "nothing of value to add" except he's right. I applaud your effort, though.

This sandbox MMO teaches that gear is king so hard that the timidity you wish to alleviate won't budge. 

I have not been involved in the suggestions section in the past, I was just one of the rabble of shit talkers.  I appreciate and understand the appearance that I am just now stepping into this naive.  However, I am trying to approach this from a balanced perspective, taking the newer player's complaints and experiences.  My experiences in the PVP zone, such as being tagged before entering the 1v1 by a guy with 6 jumping in right after crashing into each other like starving monkeys being thrown a single banana. 😑

I am also considerate of what I am asking from the developers, in that they would would need to decide to put in effort for this, but I believe the effort would not be taxing, the concentric circles are already coded with the ruleset.  They would just need to be moved on the map.  The AI ship drop in port is already coded, the number would just have to be altered along with price.  The additional coding thing AFAIK would be making those PVP ADMIRALTY ships fully gunned with repairs and rum in the hold along with the inability to remove those repairs, rum and guns and limit the player to only being able to have 1 at a time and those PVP Admiralty ships can not leave the PVP zone or are locked in port on days the PVP zone is elsewhere, to prevent people trying to game the system, you also can not break up a ship if it has guns on it. 

In the last week, I have been braying and bragging on GB chat whenever a puppy killer arrives, chasing them away, doing everything to catch them,  there are now more and more pinging to KPR, Trux etc. when the call goes out.  Preying on the weak has diminished, when it starts the response has been admirable.  This is the kind of spirit all new players need to feel, having a freakin fight on even terms of gear and a very low cost to participate with rewards given even if they get owned every fight.  They still had fun, got to meet some new people, and did some pew pew pew.

Besides, what moron is going to put cartegna caulking, a naval clock, and elite french refit on a bermuda frigate?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Atreides said:

In the last week, I have been braying and bragging on GB chat whenever a puppy killer arrives, chasing them away, doing everything to catch them,  there are now more and more pinging to KPR, Trux etc. when the call goes out.  Preying on the weak has diminished, when it starts the response has been admirable.  This is the kind of spirit all new players need to feel, having a freakin fight on even terms of gear and a very low cost to participate with rewards given even if they get owned every fight.  They still had fun, got to meet some new people, and did some pew pew pew.

This is from an individual perspective the best thing you can do for new players. After all it's the communitys responsibility to create content in open world sandbox games. You're also not wrong about better access to ships in ports. It's however only a solution if the inventory gap is minimal. 

Back when free 1 duration 3rd rates were an easy way to get risk free pvp the gap between those ai 3rd rates and a 3 duration 3rd rate was about 5% give or take. The main advantage was not risking mods. Skill books removed that and that's a great thing along with 1 duration ships. I consider that the best change besides leeway in the past 2 years. If the Devs were to give us access to captured ai 3rd rates now however it would not change anything for example. A port bonus bellona is at minimum 20% stronger if you take everything into account. I would actually say just removing port bonuses might be enough since books are not that bad alone. 

• Like 6

And then the Beauty of the system is it WILL NOT ALLOW the shitty gameplay of a couple vets that I just had the pleasure of being griefed by.  [HAVOC] HulioTKD tagged my Wasa sailing into La Mona (about 30 seconds from dock) because I had decided to buy the Rattisvan DLC and found nothing in the PVP zone after sailing over from Aves.  I explained and asked him to disengage as a sportsman, told him I would not fire first, and asked him to let me pop into port, redeem a Rattisvan, then I would put reps on it from my Wasa and some guns and go out to 1v1 zone with him for some fun.  He said no and immediately stern raked me as [HAVOC]Bodeye in another Ratt looked on and laughed.  I was then sail shocked and rage boarded.  I sat back in shock and watched a guy I've sailed with and fought beside as he won the boarding in two shots, and sunk my intact ship while Bodye mocked me.  Really, that actually happened.  Sad to say but I'm done with the PVP zone tonight, I'll go do something else with disrespectful, griefing shit being pulled right outside La Mona. I don't even care about the ship, I just am astounded in the piss poor attitude of these two against another player.  Picture of the boat with stats:

3A03BF83C36EF5C34387BC02529B1CA9ACCF90D7

Very discouraging, its a cheap boat I saw in shop, grabbed it and put Meds on it to grind and have fun PVP, certainly not the shit that happened.  And you know, after a few housekeeping things I'm done with Naval Action tonight, and that's two less characters in the server for the next 8 hours.  And looking at BATTLE chat, and popping out in a basic cutter, they are pulling the same shit on others, not letting them into the PVP zone and tagging outside La Mona  @rediii  You have a couple guys @huliotkd and @Bodye  That are being greifing lowlifes.  SHAME if this is what your clan has become.

Edited by Atreides
  • Like 1

Yeah something should be done, i couldnt make it last time in the pvp zone at tumbado either, set sail and got tagged by 4 russians before u could enter the zone..i was like wtf..why not wait till im the zone soo everyone could get some rewards..i was clearly heading there..roe is the same now anyway no use in tagging folks outside..

Asked in chat multiple times, no response..

• Like 1

@rediii

IF you read the post you quoted you already know the answer to your own question.  IF you think that is legitimate play with the situation and actions of everyone involved.  And IF you think griefing a guy that says he is coming right back out to fight, you and you decrew, sail shock rage board and sink a 90% intact boat is anything approaching acceptable behaviour of a player.... I can't help you, you have either been hit in the head or are the very type of toxic player that should be have your account banned, hell I'll write the check for a 200% refund of your money.  Because THAT SHIT PLAY THAT YOU SEEM TO LIKE NOW is one of the biggest problems this game has.  I do not think this is the case, but those two guys were lowlife griefing jerks, lost any respect for them for those actions.  I understand acting shocked and surprised at the anger, but FFS that is not how you treat people.

Edited by Atreides
  • Like 2

On 8/31/2019 at 2:41 AM, Atreides said:

And then the Beauty of the system is it WILL NOT ALLOW the shitty gameplay of a couple vets that I just had the pleasure of being griefed by.  [HAVOC] HulioTKD tagged my Wasa sailing into La Mona (about 30 seconds from dock) because I had decided to buy the Rattisvan DLC and found nothing in the PVP zone after sailing over from Aves.  I explained and asked him to disengage as a sportsman, told him I would not fire first, and asked him to let me pop into port, redeem a Rattisvan, then I would put reps on it from my Wasa and some guns and go out to 1v1 zone with him for some fun.  He said no and immediately stern raked me as [HAVOC]Bodeye in another Ratt looked on and laughed.  I was then sail shocked and rage boarded.  I sat back in shock and watched a guy I've sailed with and fought beside as he won the boarding in two shots, and sunk my intact ship while Bodye mocked me.  Really, that actually happened.  Sad to say but I'm done with the PVP zone tonight, I'll go do something else with disrespectful, griefing shit being pulled right outside La Mona. I don't even care about the ship, I just am astounded in the piss poor attitude of these two against another player.  Picture of the boat with stats:

Very discouraging, its a cheap boat I saw in shop, grabbed it and put Meds on it to grind and have fun PVP, certainly not the shit that happened.  And you know, after a few housekeeping things I'm done with Naval Action tonight, and that's two less characters in the server for the next 8 hours.  And looking at BATTLE chat, and popping out in a basic cutter, they are pulling the same shit on others, not letting them into the PVP zone and tagging outside La Mona  @rediii  You have a couple guys @huliotkd and @Bodye  That are being greifing lowlifes.  SHAME if this is what your clan has become.

lol

On 8/31/2019 at 2:41 AM, Atreides said:

LOL, GB nation chat never changes......"Help me, im shite" .......

Do you want to loan some reals? looking a little low.....

I now have a Twitch account, and am developing it.  I stream daily for PVP.  I will embed the video of tonight's fun.  before I could get into the 1v1 zone was tagged by VCS gank fleet.  After asking reasonable and getting the HURR DURR MY XP MUST SMASH answer I picked one guys and attacked him.. Caroline Vodka, and fired on no one else, they had no reservations so my Rattisvan  focused one guy trying to angle shots surrounded.  Actually was fun although, ah nevermind, only game mechanic change can fix this.

It is the start of the video.  @admin

Edited by Atreides

On 8/24/2019 at 3:09 PM, HachiRoku said:

the problem with the 1v1 zones is that you loose your ship to a gank before you get there. The skill gap is also far to high for 1v1s anyway. The more time you invest the more mods and better ships you will have. There are far to many mods in game. By mods I include ship builds and port bonuses. Its all mods. Most online games that are skill dependant will give you all you need to be competitive at the start. Games that reward you stronger items with more play time are always very toxic to newcomers. 

Take Reverse as a player for example. He sails the best of the best most of the time. How can you be competitive against that? Yeah. By not going to the 1v1 patrol. 

Oh I would love to be able to give you 100+ Likes for that instead of only one.

• Like 1

I like the idea over all. One suggested modification to address the concern HachiRoku has would be to add a degrading BR for people that get sunk. Just spit balling here as I am not 100% on the rules in the zone. But if the supposed low skill new players repeated get killed the system could assign them a lower BR for the zone that eventually they will be able to get into fight where they can watch others, assist and probably get a win to raise low spirits.

3 hours ago, Bach said:

I like the idea over all. One suggested modification to address the concern HachiRoku has would be to add a degrading BR for people that get sunk. Just spit balling here as I am not 100% on the rules in the zone. But if the supposed low skill new players repeated get killed the system could assign them a lower BR for the zone that eventually they will be able to get into fight where they can watch others, assist and probably get a win to raise low spirits.

woah woah there Bach, you're asking for too much ;).

We did have the "recently killed" tag at one time, but it seems to have disappeared.

13 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

e did have the "recently killed" tag at one time, but it seems to have disappeared.

No need. Same player on same rank ship only counts once for any given mission for that rate. So if you kill him ten times in target rate, only counts once.

Honestly, look to missions as they would be the orders given to you dy the Amiralty or whatever - go out and engage this type of enemy vessels.

I discovered the repeat kill thing just the other day.  I have the missions running but dont bother with them until I see the banner come up.  A player who bested me told me about that rule.  So I sailed away and looked for another opponent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 10:11 PM, HachiRoku said:

You said I had nothing to add to the conversation yet I seem to have wasted alot of energy explaining you to you detail why new players will always avoid patrols and pvp. The inventory advantage is to much. EVE has the same issue. EVE does not have alot of new players if you consider how famous the game is. Everyone loves reading about it. Noone starts playing it because its a grindfest and way to difficult to become competitive. 

...just want to add: you are so true for EVE !!! Even when we speak about NA :P 

But i fear the vision of the Devs is to create an EVE in carribean waters...but falling short of everything EVE has besides non consensual combat/ganking :(