Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Razee

crafting and selling ships for profit is broken

It is impossible to make money crafting and selling ships, im mostly talking about 4th rates and above.

Example: an aggy costs 2600 dubloons (not even counting mats) in Kpr dubloons sell for 200 reals easy. Thats 2600x200= 520000 reals.

This is only the dubloon cost! No-one buys an aggy for 520k.. im not even adding material and lh costs.

Im better off selling my dubloons for reals than crafting andtrying to sell a ship for profit

Aggies are for sale from 200k-450k..all these crafters are making a loss. Not sure if im the only one noticing this but this should be fixed somehow.

@admin

Edited by Razee

3 minutes ago, Oli Garchy said:

People craft ships for xp and sell the basic ones, keeping the best builds for themselves

Correct but some people like to craft and make some money selling ships, this is almost impossible now, unless you craft a lucky purple or gold.

Trading is already dead, now shipbuilding and selling is almost aswell..

Youre not in a clan? Noone will buy your ships, and above is broken aswell

Edited by Razee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Razee said:

It is impossible to make money crafting and selling ships, im mostly talking about 4th rates and above.

Example: an aggy costs 2600 dubloons (not even counting mats) in Kpr dubloons sell for 200 reals easy. Thats 2600x200= 520000 reals.

This is only the dubloon cost! No-one buys an aggy for 520k.. im not even adding material and lh costs.

Im better off selling my dubloons for reals than crafting andtrying to sell a ship for profit

Aggies are for sale from 200k-450k..all these crafters are making a loss. Not sure if im the only one noticing this but this should be fixed somehow.

supply and demand :) 

1 hour ago, Razee said:

How you want to "fix" the laws of the market? Many of those ships may be captured ones and they are usually cheaper than crafted ships. Can't prevent people from selling for less than others, undercutting prices in order to sell better. That's capitalism. Much competition = lower prices.

But why on earth should i craft a aggy if i can sell the dubs for much more profit..there are no reasons to craft ships that cost dubs other than sail m yourself or hope for a purple/gold and sell the regular ones for a loss

Edited by Razee

Well as someone pointed out it comes down to supply and demand. If everyone sold their doubloons then the price of doubloons would come down and as no one was crafting Aggies the price of them would go up. When you add into the mix that some people just craft them and only keep the high quality ones, they have to get rid of the surplus basic ones and they do this cheap to get rid of them quickly. Remember if you craft a gold one with the right wood and trim you could sell it for millions offsetting the loss you make on standard ones.

The availability of cheap ships is not a bad thing, you just have to decide if crafting is for you and realize that it is not something you will make a lot of money from unless you are lucky and craft lots of gold ships. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Razee said:

@admin

Why are you buying DBLs when passenger missions and some npc traders give you so many?

23 minutes ago, van der Clam said:

Why are you buying DBLs when passenger missions and some npc traders give you so many?

Im not  im selling them

In my opinion you can not use the market prize in that case. Profit is the difference between prize and costs for you. If you take doubs from missions, loots or pvp, cost is zero.

Most Players didnt notice,that with the new currency the exchange was what 25old too 1Real. Now you take the price of 400k×25=10milions in old currency. That is more than 10times what you woud have payed befor the exchange.

Or make it the other away around. If u have payed befor the exchange 800k for a Aggi it shoud be now divided with 25 now we have a price of 32k for a Aggi.

So in the end the prices for Ship are too expansive.

It is the same for Battle rewards in Reals you have to Muliply these with 25.

And the prices for dubs are Player created. But i think from my point of view they are not more than 10 Reals the pice worth. 

In the end a Aggi shoud go for 52k if u want you can add now your LH.

Edit: 

Do you have lost a crafted Ship in the last time then you see what the devs think a Ship is worth. From the view of the Devs.

Edited by Jim Beamreach

I have never built a ship.  I've owned lots of ships, and lost many of them to the enemy.  I given away quite a few to new players, and received even more.  I use only the cheapest upgrades, or no upgrades at all.

Ships are part of the game.  They are not the WHOLE game.  Ships are meant to be sailed and I expect all of mine will be sink.  I can't imagine owning a ship that is expensive.  I would be scared to use it.  The ships are important, but it is what we use them for that matters more.

Large ships might be best used in a group.  The smaller, faster, friendlies can screen and protect the big vessels. But I am ignorant about combat.

Rather than venturing forth with heavily upgraded, expensive ships perhaps a chap should cap a ship and press on boldly, ready to lose what cost very little.  And after defeat, cap another and start again.    Or do an econ mission and buy a cheap ship from the Admiralty.

Cheap ships mean more PvP for daring lads eager to get gud.   Cheap ships mean I will run the gauntlet on trade deliveries to blockaded ports. (Or sink trying).

Cheap ships are good for NA.  Don't risk what you are not prepared to lose.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Macjimm said:

I have never built a ship.  I've owned lots of ships, and lost many of them to the enemy.  I given away quite a few to new players, and received even more.  I use only the cheapest upgrades, or no upgrades at all.

Ships are part of the game.  They are not the WHOLE game.  Ships are meant to be sailed and I expect all of mine will be sink.  I can't imagine owning a ship that is expensive.  I would be scared to use it.  The ships are important, but it is what we use them for that matters more.

Large ships might be best used in a group.  The smaller, faster, friendlies can screen and protect the big vessels. But I am ignorant about combat.

Rather than venturing forth with heavily upgraded, expensive ships perhaps a chap should cap a ship and press on boldly, ready to lose what cost very little.  And after defeat, cap another and start again.    Or do an econ mission and buy a cheap ship from the Admiralty.

Cheap ships mean more PvP for daring lads eager to get gud.   Cheap ships mean I will run the gauntlet on trade deliveries to blockaded ports. (Or sink trying).

Cheap ships are good for NA.  Don't risk what you are not prepared to lose.

Agreed, but thats not the point, the point is why would i craft an aggy and try to sell it when i can only sell it for a loss..

Only dubloon wise an aggy costst 520.000 reals. I can never sell it for that.

So its impossible to make a living crafting and selling ships..(the permit ones it possible caus they are rare)

Ship building is just for the convenience of being able to craft exactly what you want; you certainly can't make a profit on it in most locations, compared to the cost of the materials (or the price you can get for the materials).  As more people level up, become richer and build all the ships they want themselves (and flood the market with others that they have built to get crafting experience or that just didn't quite work out as they hoped), that situation is only going to get worse.

For reasons nobody seems to know, the devs decided at some point that cargo and passenger missions were essential and that everyone must do them, at least until they're of a very high rank and have a full set of ships.  To achieve this, they:-

(1) Removed any benefit to open market trading of goods by making them all unprofitable.

(2) Introduced doubloon costs for ship building of fourth rates and up, and nerfed the doubloon rewards available from hunting so they were less frequently available.

(3) Made rare woods available for yet more doubloons from the Admiralty.

(4) Ensured that rewards for 5th rate and above missions were in CMs only and not doubloons, and offered no exchange facility or way to sell CMs for doubloons.

(5) Paid only token reals for kills on the open sea.

The effect is that you can't make money (reals) or gold (doubloons) from open trading, or from hunting, or from crafting upgrades, or from ship building.  Your one and only option is to do the cargo and passenger missions, and anyone who isn't just handed everything they need to play by their clan is forced to spend a lot of time sailing around doing those missions.

I have absolutely no idea WHY they want people to do this - they can't possibly think it's actually fun for most people - and I've never seen any plausible explanation, but it's abundantly clear that this is their intention.  Ship building is just one of the victims of this obsession.

Edited by Karvala
  • Like 1