Game-Labs Forum
DreadPirateBob

Russia captures Roseau: the devs have to act aggressively to deal with the population balance

On 9/4/2019 at 9:33 AM, admin said:

nice idea
1,000,000 DB cost to switch to OP nation, 0 to small nation
Its like buying a passport. Some nations will have a free passport (if you sneak in) and some nations will have it very expensive due to strict immigration policy.

Additional idea to naturally control expansions is to have national manpower.
Crew right now comes from air. And i think it should not.

More manpower = more cost and food required to maintain
If your nation has 50% of players only ship you can get (due to lack of free manpower) is the frigate or you have to ask someone to lend you 800 sailors (who each eat 1 ton of provision per game month and needs 1 gold db salary per month).
To provide some protection 100 crew is free for all, but all crew above comes from national manpower

• if you nation has 10 players and 10000 manpower they can sail 10 first rates
  • If you nation has 500 players - you have bigger manpower - but not 50 bigger. Enough Field 10-20 first rates the rest will have to sail in frigates. Crew becomes a resource like guns (but will be expendable) making large countries vulnerable in case of fast manpower loss.

This will also give incentives for  skilled players to move to smaller nations because large nations will lose more manpower in general due to wide variety of skill levels.

This could become a natural balancing force.

+1

On 9/4/2019 at 9:33 AM, admin said:

nice idea
1,000,000 DB cost to switch to OP nation, 0 to small nation
Its like buying a passport. Some nations will have a free passport (if you sneak in) and some nations will have it very expensive due to strict immigration policy.

Additional idea to naturally control expansions is to have national manpower.
Crew right now comes from air. And i think it should not.

More manpower = more cost and food required to maintain
If your nation has 50% of players only ship you can get (due to lack of free manpower) is the frigate or you have to ask someone to lend you 800 sailors (who each eat 1 ton of provision per game month and needs 1 gold db salary per month).
To provide some protection 100 crew is free for all, but all crew above comes from national manpower

• if you nation has 10 players and 10000 manpower they can sail 10 first rates
  • If you nation has 500 players - you have bigger manpower - but not 50 bigger. Enough Field 10-20 first rates the rest will have to sail in frigates. Crew becomes a resource like guns (but will be expendable) making large countries vulnerable in case of fast manpower loss.

This will also give incentives for  skilled players to move to smaller nations because large nations will lose more manpower in general due to wide variety of skill levels.

This could become a natural balancing force.

totally disagree, please stop making experiments like this. This idea will never balance the game because as long as RvR exists, the game cannot be balanced because there will always be a powerful faction than the rest. Ideas like that for new players are not nice, because they will not to be able to join factions where there are more veterans players, and will have to accumulate in another different faction, and that will unbalance the game again. Everything that is said by many players to rebalance the game is really just to warm the Russian faction, not for rebalancing.

If you want to rebalance the game a simple way is to make the RvR as something secondary, generating capital areas for all factions with an unconquerable port of 55 points for each. An idea for this would be to return to pvp rewards as combat medals, only obtainable in pvp and patrols and some missions. These medals could be used to activate the crafting points of the capital port every time you make a ship. For example, crafting a 6-7th needs 1CM for every 5 points, a 5-4 would need 2.5 CM for every 5 points and a 1-3th would need 1CM for every point. Do you want a first rate with the 55 port points? You have to spend on it 55 combat medals. do you want a niagara with 55 port points bonuses, you need to spend 11CM on it

With a system like this there is no possible imbalance, no matter what ports each faction has. To make the RvR interesting, distribute resources for upgrades in neutral ports, and grant rewards for having lord protectors, turning victory marks into something useful, for example allowing them to be used in boat crafting instead of CM, to access port bonuses.

Edited by Despe
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Despe said:

totally disagree, please stop making experiments like this. This idea will never balance the game because as long as RvR exists, the game cannot be balanced because there will always be a powerful faction than the rest. Ideas like that for new players are not nice, because they will not to be able to join factions where there are more veterans players, and will have to accumulate in another different faction, and that will unbalance the game again. Everything that is said by many players to rebalance the game is really just to warm the Russian faction, not for rebalancing.

The admin never said new players cannot join strong faction, only that having big crews will be more difficult to  help balance against smaller nation. (strong factoin will have more captains but less crew available between them, small nations will have less captains but a bigger amount of crew available per captain. Also possible that bigger nation can have more crew but price will be a bit more expensive to pay for more conscripts )

Russian faction will loose alot of power when Chinese faction added to game so we have that to look forward to.

Edited by Chromey
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Chromey said:

The admin never said new players cannot join strong faction,

yes, but if u have limits in crew when you join in powerful factions you have less interest to do it, so probably the new player will prefer one weak faction. Is for that i think that this sistem proposed by admin it will be not effective. I insist, imho while RvR with actual rules exists, game is unbalaceable.

• Like 1

well at the other hand, whats the goal anyway?

if we balance it to death, no one ever can win Map Domination, which is the goal anyway? or not?

so if map domination is the goal Russian just is the number one and wins the game, congrats good job and and. 

if not whats the goal of this game? i am not sure anymore after i read alot in this forum! 😉 Rom wanted to conquer all, they did (almost)

13 hours ago, Dread2005 said:

well at the other hand, whats the goal anyway?

if we balance it to death, no one ever can win Map Domination, which is the goal anyway? or not?

so if map domination is the goal Russian just is the number one and wins the game, congrats good job and and. 

if not whats the goal of this game? i am not sure anymore after i read alot in this forum! 😉 Rom wanted to conquer all, they did (almost)

Do you WANT another reset comrade???

@ despe

if the devs dont do something to help balance this game then it WILL DIE.

Edited by Chromey

On 10/16/2019 at 9:36 AM, Despe said:

If you want to rebalance the game a simple way is to make the RvR as something secondary, generating capital areas for all factions with an unconquerable port of 55 points for each. An idea for this would be to return to pvp rewards as combat medals, only obtainable in pvp and patrols and some missions. These medals could be used to activate the crafting points of the capital port every time you make a ship. For example, crafting a 6-7th needs 1CM for every 5 points, a 5-4 would need 2.5 CM for every 5 points and a 1-3th would need 1CM for every point. Do you want a first rate with the 55 port points? You have to spend on it 55 combat medals. do you want a niagara with 55 port points bonuses, you need to spend 11CM on it

With a system like this there is no possible imbalance, no matter what ports each faction has. To make the RvR interesting, distribute resources for upgrades in neutral ports, and grant rewards for having lord protectors, turning victory marks into something useful, for example allowing them to be used in boat crafting instead of CM, to access port bonuses.

And this idea will further empower pvp players to be able to go after the solo, casual, and pve players like a bull in a china shop. PVP players will gain access to more powerful ships and the casual, solo, NEW players will become fodder for the accumulation of combat medals. Want a reason to increase the amount of seal clubbing? That is exactly what your idea will promote. Another VERY one sided idea that benefits a very specific group instead of the server.

17 hours ago, Despe said:

yes, but if u have limits in crew when you join in powerful factions you have less interest to do it, so probably the new player will prefer one weak faction. Is for that i think that this sistem proposed by admin it will be not effective. I insist, imho while RvR with actual rules exists, game is unbalaceable.

that is actually the point though, not only for new players, but for veterans as well to try to give a reason to choose a nation that has less player population. Your suggestion only empowers the already empowered pvp players that will further as mention earlier farm on casuals. The crew thing is equal regarding if you are a veteran or a new player therefore that decision is balanced.

with the coming of aggressive AI, just make the C Zone much bigger and fill it with friendly AIs, so that newbie Players get guarded by AI in homewaters

2 hours ago, Chromey said:

Do you WANT another reset comrade???

@ despe

if the devs dont do something to help balance this game then it WILL DIE.

no no reset, more and easy just change the Goals which earn you victory! if hunting newbies dont get you any goodies you will not

if attacking weak small nations, and dont get big goodies youll not

The more I read all the nice ideas, the more I think it shouldn´t be regulated at all. Let it balance itself and give the possibility to develope all ports to 55 points.

Empires rise and fall. Regulations might cause undesired side-effects.

On 10/17/2019 at 9:17 AM, Despe said:

What you actually typed is what the ADMIN and I are trying to preach Despe! It just seems to me that almost every russian captain wants this rule to never be implemented while almost every other nation wants it put in!

Edited by Chromey