Game-Labs Forum
DreadPirateBob

Russia captures Roseau: the devs have to act aggressively to deal with the population balance

27 minutes ago, admin said:

wind shadows

Cool! I'd be more comfortable with calling it turbulence but I can keep the OCD in check. :P

mountain_eddies.png

Depending on the mountain in question it can extend quite a way out:

rotor_cloud.png

5 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Fair point.

Except ships are not hard to get. That's why we have full docks. If they were hard to get we wouldn't have full docks within a month of release. ( this is by playing an average of 2 hours a day in a daily basis. )

Seriously, one clan crafter at rank 7 can pump out enough big ships for a small squadron in a daily basis and we all still have time to spare to sail them after we ferry the resources ( which we don't need to do as the WH is already full of whatever the crafter needs to 1--click summon ships that don't need any permits )

Mods are easy to replace as well. Admiralty shop. That's what the Combat Medals are for.

But you present a valid point - how to surmount the feeling of loss even if the ships were for free ? Players will avoid pvp like the plague no matter what for some reason. Trials had no loss and devs even had to implement circle of death to limit running away ( like if running would give them a win... )

PB lower BR releases more ships to screening fleets. So by having more chances of filling a PB we'll have to face greater opposition in the OW.

I think an issue was both the want (by the devs) to have higher BR port battles while also making line ships harder to obtain/craft (both by increasing costs like Doubs and putting them all behind permits). Now you have a situation where these 1st rates (and 2nd rates) are both harder to make, AND required to fill the max BR of the port battle. Was the goal to just have the 20K BR battles filled by Wasas? Because it didn't work...

The ships aren't "hard" to get, but because they are "harder" to get than previously, it makes people not want to lose them just like people didn't want to use and lose their gold ships before a bunch of ships were hidden behind a permit wall.

Edited by Spikes
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, admin said:

regarding close range brawls
wind shadows and getting stuck with rigging is under consideration.

That would be fantastic.

But I think there should be methods of RVR not involving taking or sacking Ports

1 minute ago, jodgi said:

Oh, I thought we were talking about wind shadows from another vessel

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Oh, I thought we were talking about wind shadows from another vessel

It could be that.

It was dismissed earlier because of the "green on green" deliberate wind-stealing griefing potential.

And to be perfectly clear, stealing wind  from another ship is placing the victim in the turbulent airflow under the lee of your rigging.

Edited by jodgi
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jodgi said:

It could be that.

It was dismissed earlier because of the "green on green" deliberate wind-stealing griefing potential.

That potential is high...as is the potential for allies to accidentally "steal your wind".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Angus MacDuff said:

That potential is high...as is the potential for allies to accidentally "steal your wind".

I still want it though :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Fighting Sails ( battle sails ).

5 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Trials had no loss and devs even had to implement circle of death to limit running away ( like if running would give them a win... )

Sure, but if you were to guesstimate a ratio of runners in Sea Trials compared to runners in OW?

10 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Fighting Sails ( battle sails ).

?

2 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Sure, but if you were to guesstimate a ratio of runners in Sea Trials compared to runners in OW?

i'd say we had 1 runner in battles of 12 fellas. In OW... in 12 battles there's about 3 running engagements that end in a draw, more or less.

3 minutes ago, jodgi said:

?

can't be stolen your wind if you go battle sails. There's barely any shadow.

6 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

In OW... in 12 battles there's about 3 running engagements that end in a draw, more or less.

I wouldn't present such uplifting numbers, definitely not from my subjective experience. Even back in 2016 most of my encounters were runners.

10 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

can't be stolen your wind if you go battle sails. There's barely any shadow.

It can. It's proportional; Less turbulence but also less thrust. In any case it doesn't matter much, potential griefers won't opt for the considerate battle sails setting but rather run around in max wind stealing mode.

Sigh, another thing OW taught me: I have to go full "Screwtape letters" mode. Imagine the deepest chaotic evil mindset and consider it a norm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, admin said:

Do it !

(but before, priority on alliance or any good idea for RvR)

I also can't wait your announced patch about battle sails.  

3 hours ago, Teutonic said:

Stellaris? Endless Space?

if not, please do tell - I love my Sci-Fi strategy

empires at war, and dawn of war series

On 9/4/2019 at 2:18 PM, admin said:

And he got that by doing what? ? Are you suggesting he got the port bonuses and 5/5 ships by alt farming?

By doing game 'work', something that only few no-lifers will do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raf Van Boom said:

By doing game 'work', something that only few no-lifers will do.

He admires too much those no-lifers to realize that his creation catters only this type of players, hence the loss of population (-700 pop since release, only 10 weeks ago).

On 8/21/2019 at 4:55 PM, LucioMaximo said:

DreadPirateBob is right, balance has to come or it will kill the game. 

"Eve Online is for old dudes who cant play anything beside cookie clicker type of games. Get real" 

This really just shows how deluded you are.

people been sayin russia been killin that game for over a year

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, RubyRose said:

This forum was always overoptimistic! ;)

Russia won't kill the game, but unbalanced features can do it. Sooner or later, another nation will takeover, but this won't change so much things. A bunch of players will move to the new dominating nation, previous players of this nation will experiment boring and the patrol zone will stop being a Russian Only Zone, switching to another flag. Nothing fundamental there. 

Edited by Aquillas

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, RubyRose said:

but actually, it's their noobiness and cowardness which is killing the game
and the grind
and the bunch of flaws
and the price of the game
russia is ok I can play for any nation I want

Edited by Captain2Strong
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 4:05 PM, jodgi said:

Cool! I'd be more comfortable with calling it turbulence but I can keep the OCD in check. :P

mountain_eddies.png

rotor_cloud.png

Ha, because you know about waves behind mountains, i guess you are a Glider Pilot in RL... :) 

On 9/5/2019 at 6:30 AM, admin said:

I thought I was a great candidate to buy this game, because as well as reading a lot of naval history from the Age of Sail, I have been an active one-design sailboat racer for over 20 years.

But the absence of wind shadow in this game really killed it for me, and I would not buy the game unless you decide to add this feature.

Since real racing sailors don't use guns 😀, and we don't want to crash into our opponents, we attack each other with different types of wind shadow all the time. 

It's an absolutely crucial tactical element of real-life sailing battles, whether they take place in 2019 or in 1776.

And yes, it can screw up "friendlies" in real life (ie. team racing) and I'm sure in the Naval Action game if implemented.  But that just means you have to become a better sailor both in real life and in game, to avoid inflicting turbulence or to avoid falling within it.

Note that when racing to an upwind objective, a sailboat can interfere with other sailboats' wind both to leeward (ie. the obvious "blanket" straight downwind) and also about a boat length to windward (the less obvious "backwind zone" that stretches to windward and aft).  This leads to a common racing tactic upwind, where a port-tack boat that cannot quite cross ahead of a starboard-tack boat, will instead tack over to starboard at the last second.  That puts them ahead but to leeward of their enemy.  That's called "lee-bowing" your enemy, and if you do it correctly you see the guy behind you and to windward start sinking downwards into your wake, and then below your wake, and then finally into your blanket zone, and... THEY'RE FLUSHED.

This would be great to incorporate into the Naval Action game.

Have a look at other sailboat racing video games, like Virtual Skipper or Virtual Regatta Inshore, to get an idea of how wind shadow can be effectively weaponized and incorporated into Naval Action.

1340331878.jpg

Another wind issue which would be nice to see in Naval Action would be the effect of wind shifts on the fleet. 

I'm not sure if that's currently present in Naval Action, but it plays a huge role in sailboat racing, and can place some boats hundreds of meters closer to an objective than others in the blink of an eye.  If you have been watching and timing the wind shifts, and you can estimate whether they are predictably oscillating or else progressive in the same direction, then you can get your boat to the favored side of the course first, relative to the rest of the fleet.  This is the concept of "leverage" and "ladder rungs", as discussed by racers.

Is the effect of wind shift modelled in Naval Action, and if not, would you consider it?

Check out this YouTube video explaining the concept of "ladder rungs" when the wind shifts on the fleet:

I think there are several other issues that should be addressed before a new aspect is added to further compound current issues.

On 9/4/2019 at 3:33 AM, admin said:

nice idea
1,000,000 DB cost to switch to OP nation, 0 to small nation
Its like buying a passport. Some nations will have a free passport (if you sneak in) and some nations will have it very expensive due to strict immigration policy.

Additional idea to naturally control expansions is to have national manpower.
Crew right now comes from air. And i think it should not.

More manpower = more cost and food required to maintain
If your nation has 50% of players only ship you can get (due to lack of free manpower) is the frigate or you have to ask someone to lend you 800 sailors (who each eat 1 ton of provision per game month and needs 1 gold db salary per month).
To provide some protection 100 crew is free for all, but all crew above comes from national manpower

• if you nation has 10 players and 10000 manpower they can sail 10 first rates
  • If you nation has 500 players - you have bigger manpower - but not 50 bigger. Enough Field 10-20 first rates the rest will have to sail in frigates. Crew becomes a resource like guns (but will be expendable) making large countries vulnerable in case of fast manpower loss.

This will also give incentives for  skilled players to move to smaller nations because large nations will lose more manpower in general due to wide variety of skill levels.

This could become a natural balancing force.

When will this happen pls??