Game-Labs Forum
DreadPirateBob

Russia captures Roseau: the devs have to act aggressively to deal with the population balance

Anyone who has played MMOs with a heavy PvP element whether it does or does not have official factions, knows that players will switch to the easier, higher-pop faction or player alliance given sufficient harassment - and that harassment doesn't have to be heavy.  Just feeling like you're never going to compete is enough to quit.

Having official factions actually makes things worse.  In a game like Eve Online, switching alliances is just a matter of taking as much gear as you can and hauling yourself to the new one.  But in WoW world PvP servers back in the day, one faction almost inevitably got an advantage and the other one simply ended up moving servers at quite the personal cost.  People would literally pay money to get away from a country like Russia.

But even in Eve, the times when there was a single, dominant faction has hurt gameplay.  There's less content, less action, less to do.  Other games with player alliances ended up dying completely because there was nothing to do.  I don't know if anyone played Shadowbane, but within a year of launch, there was only one main alliance and since it was a PvP-oriented MMO, there was almost no other content to do.

There are a large variety of gameplay mechanisms that can be used to discourage blobbing, but they all involve punitive measures towards the blob factions.  Whether you simply give buffs to everyone else, for example by increasing crafting hours and resource output, or you directly nerf Russian productivity, the end result is the same.  But something has to be done to discourage blobbing, because eventually the map will be painted one colour.

And for everyone suggesting that some players for Russia will get bored and switch, I ask you how many doubloons you'd want to farm again to build your crafting, all the while knowing that you might end up being farmed by the Russian faction.  Being bored is a lot more fun than being farmed.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, DreadPirateBob said:

Being bored is a lot more fun than being farmed.

tenor.gif

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
Just now, Beeekonda said:

tenor.gif

Oh yeah?  Then go form a new alliance near Imperium or PH territory in Eve Online, see how many players you manage to sign up.

Or go take a port off the Russians and see how long you last.

Or hell, just try to do missions and trade exclusively in the KPR area.

Edited by DreadPirateBob
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DreadPirateBob said:

Oh yeah?  Then go form a new alliance near Imperium or PH territory in Eve Online, see how many players you manage to sign up.

Or go take a port off the Russians and see how long you last.

Or hell, just try to do missions and trade exclusively in the KPR area.

Eve Online is for old dudes who cant play anything beside cookie clicker type of games. Get real

• Like 4

My icon is just as trolly as your attempts to compare this game to that other game and think thats exactly how things should be done

• Like 4

DreadPirateBob is right, balance has to come or it will kill the game. 

"Eve Online is for old dudes who cant play anything beside cookie clicker type of games. Get real" 

This really just shows how deluded you are.

• Like 2

No need to tie the whole nation here. This was done only by the BF clan. I will repeat my question:
1. During these 2 days a very large number of people wrote on the forum and on my stream. Why didn’t these people get together and drown our 25 ships + 5 ships without a group? Sweden + Denmark + Poland + France + Holland does not have enough players?
2. Why when the NN clan pumped up Roseu and wanted to capture it. All nations united and defended the city?
3. So what's the matter?

Let me try to answer, and you say it is true or not?
You are all afraid of the BF clan. So afraid that you do not even want to try to fight. It’s better for you to cry and just leave your cities without a fight. And to say that we spoil the game and kill it.

But this is all nonsense and not true. If you check every nickname in today's group, you will see that 70% of the people are people who have just recently created accounts and are complete beginners. And perhaps if you tried, you would easily defeat us. And they would be heroes and just cool guys. But you chose the lighter expensive - just give up and cry.

That is why the BF has always won, wins and will win. Even when we lose, and we do it often - we win anyway. Do you know why? because we play the game and enjoy it. And do not cry.

Good luck on the battlefield. We will continue to fight further, and you continue to cry further

• Like 21

1 minute ago, Captain Reverse said:

So afraid that you do not even want to try to fight.

^ this

Even when BRs were low enough to give any nation chance to fight a PB people would just wont show up or show up on small ships to troll around.

23 minutes ago, LucioMaximo said:

"Eve Online is for old dudes who cant play anything beside cookie clicker type of games. Get real" 

Once you are done with your PVE  stuff in NA care to prove me Im wrong? That game sucks and dead.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/20/2019 at 11:11 AM, RKY said:

it is up to the players to be active in pvp and rvr. it is unfortunate but the game cannot force people into this.

People join pvp server, but all they really want is pve. blame yourself.

On 8/16/2019 at 9:57 AM, Meraun said:

But we need moar RvR.... We shoud drop the Gloves and go for Craftingport, so the other Nations wake up 🙂

On 8/16/2019 at 10:12 AM, Potemkin said:

No they would no show, then bitch on the forums about not having a chance.

But no its all admins fault. Lets all just put massive hours into the game, buy dlc, and then refuse to play. That'll show the devs!

Edited by Potemkin
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Potemkin said:

But no its all admins fault. Lets all just put massive hours into the game, buy dlc, and then refuse to play. That'll show the devs!

Developers are responsible for their design.

This whole "let the players decide" strategy has been tried and has failed multiple times in multiple other games.

Of course, goodness gracious, shock, gasp, horror, a Russian defending a system where his nation is the steamroller.

Since you believe players are responsible, I'm 100% certain you'll be the first to switch from Russia to France.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DreadPirateBob said:

This whole "let the players decide" strategy has been tried and has failed multiple times in multiple other games.

Of course, goodness gracious, shock, gasp, horror, a Russian defending a system where his nation is the steamroller.

Since you believe players are responsible, I'm 100% certain you'll be the first to switch from Russia to France.

You, the player, in this very topic deciding what devs should do. 

tenor.gif

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DreadPirateBob said:

Why would i want to switch to a nation that is apparently so scared of failure that they dont even try to screen? Ive questioned the current port bonus system before on this forum and honestly i think it hurt more than it helped. That being said, its not worth changing everything around again because if the players themselves dont want to fight, nothing will help. Your arguements would carry alot more weight if you had actually tried to defend yourselves. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Captain Reverse said:

We will continue to fight further, and you continue to cry further

Right, until you're outnumbered.

Then you'll be the one crying about balance.

• Like 1

Just now, DreadPirateBob said:

Right, until you're outnumbered.

Then you'll be the one crying about balance.

Please, we are begging you. Outnumber us, attack us with the hundreds of players that were so quick to screen for rediii. Just do something ffs.

• Like 5

Just now, Potemkin said:

Why would i want to switch to a nation that is apparently so scared of failure that they dont even try to screen? Ive questioned the current port bonus system before on this forum and honestly i think it hurt more than it helped. That being said, its not worth changing everything around again because if the players themselves dont want to fight, nothing will help. Your arguements would carry alot more weight if you had actually tried to defend yourselves. 

>Why would i want to switch to a nation that is apparently so scared of failure that they dont even try to screen?

And this is exactly the problem BECAUSE EVERYONE THINKS THAT WAY.  You can't go around blaming other players for not wanting to do exactly what you refuse to do.

This is the God damned problem I'm getting at.  The devs made poor assumptions about human psychology, assumptions that were proven wrong in multiple games, and now their game design is suffering.

>Your arguements would carry alot more weight if you had actually tried to defend yourselves. 

I don't play French.

Just now, Potemkin said:

Please, we are begging you. Outnumber us, attack us with the hundreds of players that were so quick to screen for rediii. Just do something ffs.

Then go switch nations if you want to be outnumbered.

Posted (edited)

what BF and reverse fails to understand is:

these small nations don't have 20 players who:

A - have a 1st rate

B - can crew a 1st rate.

so all this talk of being afraid of BF means nothing, it is simple logistics,

come back with 3rd rate fleet if you actually want a fight.

Edited by RepairyMcRepairous
  • Like 9

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, DreadPirateBob said:

He's an american playing as a russian? lmao, he clearly already got fed up of being outnumbered, a traitor AND a coward

Edited by LucioMaximo

2 minutes ago, RepairyMcRepairous said:

what BF and reverse fails to understand is:

these small nations don't have 20 players who:

A - have a 1st rate

B - can crew a 1st rate.

so all this talk of being afraid of BF means nothing, it is simple logistics,

come back with 3rd rate fleet if you actually want a fight.

Should have told them that beforehand, maybe the would have showed up on 3rd rates

• Like 2

Its the BR for ports thats broken, not the size of the nation. There will always be zerg nations, but having every port be 20k or 10k is just dumb, because the zerg nation always has the advantage. If we went back to having diverse port BR, then smaller nations like us Polish would be able to capture some area and actually be able to defend it when someone wants to take it away. 20k is usually 25 man fleets, 10k is basically 25 Wasa's. An example is back when I was in Prussia, we captured Rio Seco and defended it countless times against many different attackers, even though we usually had about 5-10 players to defend. 

I don't want to completely get rid of high BR ports, because the epic 25 vs 25 first rates should still exist, but the current mechanic needs to be tuned. 

• Like 22

4 minutes ago, DreadPirateBob said:

seems like his point was actually outnumbering the russian nation

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

People have RL and are not always available, so you need more than 25 1rst rate in a nation to regularly field full PB fleet outside of weekends.

The lack of any real alliance also hurt. Even if France had managed to muster 10 or 12 1rst rates in the middle of the week despite RL priorities, this half fleet can’t be combined with the Swedish fleet to defend the port anyway. 

And we all know how sending 10-12 1rst rates vs a full 1rst rate Pb fleet is suicidal, so why even bother showing up?

But what do I know, I’m playing during US prime time and thus have given up on RVR long ago. 

PS I can feel the pain for Reverse’s fans, 45 minutes of empty PB is bad content for streaming. Money donation must have been low today. Hopefully, Cartagena PB will change this. 

Edited by Serk
  • Like 3