Game-Labs Forum

12 Steps That Could Fix Some Complaints About This Game

I've come up with a list of 10 changes that I think could be made to the game to greatly enhance its features and the shortcomings in areas such as economy, crafting, balance, ship usage, lack of PvP, and nation disparity. Don't tell me we're out of beta and these changes aren't possible...things are always changeable and it still feels like beta anyways. The most important thing is no more wipes.

1. Make all ship permits available at admiralty and reintroduce games excluded from game (Diana) -

2. Remove all port bonuses to ships crafted in ports - Most people hate these port bonuses. Port ownership should economic value and benefits, which trickle down to easier war effort. Main Port Bonus port lost would cripple most nations.

3. Remove all trade goods not used for crafting in the game - Make trade consist of only resources. Trading and RvR should go hand in hand. Losing a trade ship should hurt you and your nation. People will protect traders more, increasing PvP

4. Make all upgrade modules craft-able - Puts more pressure on nations to have diversity of resources produced at their ports, increase impetus for trading runs, balances fairness in fights

5. Give all Ports the ability to produce any resource (up to 5 total depending on Port points; 55=5, 45=4, 35=3, 25=2, 15=1) chosen by clan owner - Makes every port important and provides incentive for RvR without completely ruining a nation if one port falls. If Port Resource changed by invading clan, must be reinvested in from scratch. Each resource should cost sa. me as Port Bonus to completely invest in.

6. Make all ports conquerable; start all new players at Shroud Cay - Shallow waters let them never be completely outmatched in a fight and puts them all together to likely learn skills against fairer opponent. I'm a US player

7. Remove "Outposts" and allow teleport to any National or Free Port in the game, Lack of outposts limits chances players will see each other in open world and is unnecessary

8. Remove doubloons and allow current ones to be traded in for reals at 300x1 doubloon - Doubloons are necessary and force boring trade missions; just vastly increase cost of things that take doubloons now

9. Issue combat medals for PvP missions only, Increases necessity of PvP

10. Allow once per month nation switch to 3 nations with fewest ports - Fixes disparity of nation population. Sorry devs, might take money away but you could easily make it back with some more quality cosmetic DLCs

11. Destroy Pirate Nation - Allow each clan to choose a nation; ports they own will go to them. Allow players free nation switch to any nation or to remain a Pirate. Pirates cannot directly participate in RvR as a nation but can join any battle for any side

12. Change RoE to force latecomers to battle to wait in helicopter spectator mode for variable amount of time - Since openworld speed is increased (let's say doubled, I'm not sure what it actually is) then someone joining a battle 10 minutes late would have to wait 20 minutes before being allowed to actually join. Would stop the random pop-ins from happening 19 minutes into an AI mission but also stop annoyance of barely missing 2-min timer of a team fight because your ship was slow and you had the wind against you.

Feel free to discuss these ideas with me; I honestly think they would make things a lot better with minimal impact on how the RvR situation is right now and would slowly balance out the RvR situation. I know some of these ideas had been implemented or tested in the past, but some changes to this game have only made it worse. Maybe it would be good to go backwards in some aspects.

• Like 3

Alot of these are actually really good. Combining the idea of free nation switch to smaller nations with the idea of elimination of pirates for RvR could allow the return of something fun like Green v Green forcing the player to turn pirate. I also like the RoE change, except I would say the forced wait time should at most be equal the amount of time into the battle. I would even do something like a maximum 10 minute wait for a joiner (if the battle is joined 10 or more minutes after starting), with a spot placed on the map where the new player(s) will join. The player(s) already fighting then have the option to attempt to flee or stay and fight, knowing where the new player will spawn and how long until the spawn happens. I think opening the teleport feature to all national or free ports will increase pvp, and it wouldn't be too hard to have an EVE system of assets so you know which ports your ships/repairs/resources are in.

Some of the other points are good too, though starting all players at Shroud would create a giant mess. Would be worse than being a brand new player starting in KPR about a year ago. Felt sorry for those guys, getting constantly sunk by experienced players who just sat there and picked them apart day after day after day. Probably lost many a new player to this game that way.

This thread is on the wrong side of game development.  If you wanted to clone a pig instead of a sheep, you would've had to change that when the DNA was first introduced, i.e. before release while the game was under development.

i.e. scope of thread alters the entire game, it isn't going to happen.

However, I would love some of these to be true in NA.

Edited by Papillon
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CrustyJohnson said:

6. Make all ports conquerable; start all new players at Shroud Cay - Shallow waters let them never be completely outmatched in a fight and puts them all together to likely learn skills against fairer opponent. I'm a US player

thats a very interesting proposal for the war server. It could have been proposed before but we missed it due to tunnel vision. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, CrustyJohnson said:

8. Remove doubloons and allow current ones to be traded in for reals at 300x1 doubloon - Doubloons are necessary and force boring trade missions; just vastly increase cost of things that take doubloons now

I agree with this entirely and most of your post... its good logic I think... 

Trade missions should be centered around delivering useful goods to ports that lack them... or at least have a lesser amount of said good available... the goods should be picked up by a player and delivered to the said port to gain the reward(s) affiliated with said delivery mission. A reward in reals would be enough and value of the reward would be calculated according to distance of the delivery and time on the open map.

I still think that passenger missions should remain though... as they are... for newer players or just players wanting to make a little extra Reals in small ships. As you are literally just moving an individual to another location... he could be a dignitary or just a farmer... these missions don't have a big impact in game as of now... but could give newer players the reals needed to buy a slightly better ship without staying in the basic cutter too long. They will even be able to buy some repairs... or cannons after doing a couple of these passenger missions, as they are.

300/1 real for dabloon is too high though... most players buy them to resell at 80-110 reals... 

• Like 1

11. Destroy Pirate Nation - Allow each clan to choose a nation; ports they own will go to them. Allow players free nation switch to any nation or to remain a Pirate. Pirates cannot directly participate in RvR as a nation but can join any battle for any side

I have advocated this before and will again... I even play as a pirate on the PVE server once in a while... but I feel that PIRATE should be a branding... not really a nation.

12. Change RoE to force latecomers to battle to wait in helicopter spectator mode for variable amount of time - Since openworld speed is increased (let's say doubled, I'm not sure what it actually is) then someone joining a battle 10 minutes late would have to wait 20 minutes before being allowed to actually join. Would stop the random pop-ins from happening 19 minutes into an AI mission but also stop annoyance of barely missing 2-min timer of a team fight because your ship was slow and you had the wind against you.

yes.. this would make Capitol hunting more doable and not just a suicide attempt. Also in my simple opinion... I think that if players are to join they should appear behind and not in front of the hunted player.

On 8/19/2019 at 7:59 PM, admin said:

thats a very interesting proposal for the war server. It could have been proposed before but we missed it due to tunnel vision. 

Ok but your game should have been called Westeros naval action .....😑

Edited by Citoyen J

15 hours ago, admin said:

I doubt t will change anything, noobs wil have to get in a basic cutter and head for their countries capital right away, or they will just be farmed outside shroud all the time.. its already a gank fest outside shroud anyway.

Let alone that newbs will have to do missions and stuff outsode there? They'll be sunk by the dozens..

17 hours ago, Preserved_Killick said:

What's the purpose of getting rid of trade-goods?  Obviously if you don't like them you just don't have to trade them.  There are plenty of materials to trade that are used for crafting.  Is it just annoying getting them as loot and selling them at the closest port for little money?

The point, trading will be centered around moving materials used in RvR and not random items have zero impact in RvR. Traders will make money and nations will get supplies available in their ports. Right now, RvR and trading is completely disconnected.

Thanks for reading my suggestions and giving your input, everyone. Development is always easier said than done and I appreciate what the devs have done and are doing. Glad to see they are still actively working on the game. Not all my suggestions were spot on or feasible, but I strongly believe more sets of ideas can help the devs and is more productive than just complaining. As long as they keep putting out updates I'm going to keep putting posts up. These days, games are significantly developed and changed after release; so I hate when people say" game's out deal with it". That's untrue and not very helpful. In the end it's their game, but maybe they'll see a suggestion from someone and it gives them an idea or perspective they hadn't thought of. 

Sorry, I realized my original post had some inconsistencies and spelling errors. I'll try to proofread more effectively next time.

On 8/20/2019 at 5:15 AM, Razee said:

I doubt t will change anything, noobs wil have to get in a basic cutter and head for their countries capital right away, or they will just be farmed outside shroud all the time.. its already a gank fest outside shroud anyway.

Let alone that newbs will have to do missions and stuff outsode there? They'll be sunk by the dozens..

Sinking is learning, but at least this way there is a good chance they will be matched with a fellow noob or at least a vet in a similarly classed ship. I pay attention to what actual new players say and a main complaint isn't actually losing in fights...it's not even standing a chance.

On 8/19/2019 at 3:11 PM, RepairyMcRepairous said:

it means 12 steps that completely change the game which they wouldn't do in 6 months while in development, isn't going to happen.

I didn't post it while it was in development, sadly, just became active again after release. They are however still actively updating the game, so as long as they continue to do that I will post suggestions that I think will help. Maybe I or one of the community will have an idea that they had not thought of. It seems better than just complaining all over the Patch Notes thread.

On 8/19/2019 at 5:53 AM, meyott said:

Alot of these are actually really good. Combining the idea of free nation switch to smaller nations with the idea of elimination of pirates for RvR could allow the return of something fun like Green v Green forcing the player to turn pirate. I also like the RoE change, except I would say the forced wait time should at most be equal the amount of time into the battle. I would even do something like a maximum 10 minute wait for a joiner (if the battle is joined 10 or more minutes after starting), with a spot placed on the map where the new player(s) will join. The player(s) already fighting then have the option to attempt to flee or stay and fight, knowing where the new player will spawn and how long until the spawn happens. I think opening the teleport feature to all national or free ports will increase pvp, and it wouldn't be too hard to have an EVE system of assets so you know which ports your ships/repairs/resources are in.

Some of the other points are good too, though starting all players at Shroud would create a giant mess. Would be worse than being a brand new player starting in KPR about a year ago. Felt sorry for those guys, getting constantly sunk by experienced players who just sat there and picked them apart day after day after day. Probably lost many a new player to this game that way.

Thanks for the response. I was wrestling with how long someone joining a battle would have to wait, but because OW speed is increased, I figured there had to be an increased wait time, to kind of make up for time dilation.

All new players at Shroud Cay could be a mess...but they would always have the option to teleport to a friendly port (if they had one). But at least the battles would be slightly more even. I bet a lot of noobs at KPR were being ganked with far superior ships. The worst thing a noob could be ganked with at Shroud would be a middling 5th rate.

On 8/19/2019 at 8:53 AM, Captain2Strong said:

half of the ideas are very bad but the other half is good

WTF???

Thanks for the response, but wish you'd be a little more specific haha. Discussion could lead to discovery of good and novel ideas. As for what you quoted, I'm not sure what the issue is. Open World Speed is greatly increased from actual/in-combat speed, so I figured joining a battle needed to take this into account.