Game-Labs Forum
admin

Forthcoming Seasonal Update Information - NSFW Leopards and NPC Port battles on the Peace Server

22 hours ago, Karvala said:

I would go further than this and say that not only do the proposed changes not give anything to single/solo players (who seem to form the majority of players on PvE), but it actually goes a long way towards killing the game for themÔĽŅ (or I should say us, since I'm one).

The biggest problem is the lack of organizers amongst solo's, casuals and the 1.5 hour man, NPC PBs (better known as "NPC assault fleet" ūüėä) will act like a player organizer, once inbound captains should have the urge to join the group battle. The same thing happen pre-patch 27 around KPR, when 4th rate NPCs approached, players swarmed to do battle (something 6-7th elite hasn't achieve, oh and why would you have elites in a beginners zone anyway?).¬†

I like it since PBs will give the peace server an "end game", more than the sum of single combat. And i would say that most players will try pve PBs before dismissing it.

My prediction is that it won't increase pop, pop will fluctuate but no influx (pop relevant to the success of PBs). The only thing that will is if the Dev's remove hardcore from the description, free-up and safe guard the beginners game, remove the heavy costs of the shipyard and forge, make 90% of 5th rates available to level 1 shipyard and return consistent profitable combat missions. You know, get players involve and gaming before you open them up to the horrors of the grind.

22 hours ago, Karvala said:

1.  I will no longer be able to build the best ships; that privilege will now be exclusively held by clan members who own ports and can invest to give their ships port bonuses.  No doubt they will sell some of those ships on the open market, so I might as well give up building ships and just start buying theirs instead.  One part of the game has now been closed off to me.

Yes no port bonuses and I don't like it either but this part of the game will be exactly as you(we) are playing now, by design.

Edited by Guest

On 8/15/2019 at 6:58 AM, El Patron said:

I hope thats a joke. War server is pvp server.  Most guys dont like pve 

We have two servers and both of them involved PvE.  This game has never been a pure PvP game and prob never will.  Closes was teh NA:L but even that had AI.  

Peace: PvE only

War:  PvE with PvP/RvR elements  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Karvala said:

I would go further than this and say that not only do the proposed changes not give anything to single/solo players (who seem to form the majority of players on PvE), but it actually goes a long way towards killing the game for them (or I should say us, since I'm one).

At the moment you can be self-sufficient as a single player and at no fundamental disadvantage.  Sure, it will take longer to acquire resources and XP etc., but there is no glass ceiling.  I have a top level shipyard, forge, academy, workshop and switch other resources around as needed.  I can build my own ships which can match the best ships I can buy.  I can build the same upgrades and books.  I can fight the AI as and when I choose and the rest of the time do what I want safe in the knowledge that the resources I have spent many long hours accumulating in order to be able to build the ships of my choice are safe.

After the new changes come into effect:-

1.  I will no longer be able to build the best ships; that privilege will now be exclusively held by clan members who own ports and can invest to give their ships port bonuses.  No doubt they will sell some of those ships on the open market, so I might as well give up building ships and just start buying theirs instead.  One part of the game has now been closed off to me.

2.  If players resources, e.g. workshops, academies etc. will be appropriated by the NPCs who have captured a port (aka destroyed), then all of those resources I have worked hard to accumulate are no longer safe, and even worse, their safety depends not on me as a solo player but on whichever clan owns the port and is responsible for its security.  I appreciate @admin hasn't yet stated/decided what will happen here, and I am hoping they will be sensible, but on the other hand, if the resources are not lost, then what's the reason for defending the port?

The latter point highlights why this whole idea is flawed; there is a fundamental tension between solo players and clans.  An uneven playing field will see the solo players, i.e. the majority of players on PvE, simply leaving.  We're solo players for a reason; we can't be coerced into joining clans.  An even playing field is not possible if some features are only available to clans or clan members.

Most importantly of all, we play on the peace server because we don't want to have to fight except at a time of our choosing against an opponent of our choosing.  NPCs attacking our resources and forcing fights at times when people don't want to fight, may not be available etc., totally undermines the whole point of the PvE server.

There are so many potential improvement on the PvE server that can and should be made, some of which have been listed elsewhere in the thread.  Why just take PvP features and impose them here instead, where they fit so badly?

1.  You do know you can become friends with those clans and get the same bonus too.   So no they won't have all the best ships.  Hell even better maybe get some guys to join with you into one big clan and build them yourselves or take a port......

2.  Buildings are not destroyed, but if it's another nation than you can't use them.  I assume that is how it will work for peace, but who knows, they might just leave it where every one can use every port like it is, but really why shouldn't there be limits on the map?   Why should Spanish be using GB ports?  Get your own ports to use, can't have every thing all just handed to you.

THis game was never made for SOLO players, yes you can play solo, but it's going to be harder for you to do things or take longer.  So stop thinking the game was made for you cause it never was.  IT's an MMO meant for team/group play.   Yes  you can solo just not as easy as it would be for clans or others with groups.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BuckleUpBones said:

Yes no port bonuses and I don't like it either but this part of the game will be exactly as you(we) are playing now, by design.

It won't be exactly the same, because at the moment nobody else has PBs either.  Under the proposed plan, clan members will have PBs so this removes the level playing field.  That's a very different situation to now.

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

1.  You do know you can become friends with those clans and get the same bonus too.   So no they won't have all the best ships.  Hell even better maybe get some guys to join with you into one big clan and build them yourselves or take a port......

2.  Buildings are not destroyed, but if it's another nation than you can't use them.  I assume that is how it will work for peace, but who knows, they might just leave it where every one can use every port like it is, but really why shouldn't there be limits on the map?   Why should Spanish be using GB ports?  Get your own ports to use, can't have every thing all just handed to you.

THis game was never made for SOLO players, yes you can play solo, but it's going to be harder for you to do things or take longer.  So stop thinking the game was made for you cause it never was.  IT's an MMO meant for team/group play.   Yes  you can solo just not as easy as it would be for clans or others with groups.

1.  Solo players, by definition, don't want to be part of a clan.  That's what's meant by solo, so telling people to form a clan is no solution at all.  That's exactly what people fear; that this is a clear attempt to force them to join clans which they don't want to do.  QED.

2.  Why shouldn't there by limits?  I explained that in my original post.  As a solo player I don't own the port and I cannot defend a port against an NPC attack, so the situation is entirely beyond my control.  To severely penalise players by removing access to facilities they've spent hours developing through something entirely beyond their control would be a very bad design decision.

Solo players don't mind things being harder or taking longer and that's the case now. What they object to is things being completely unavailable to them.  Just saying "the game was never made for you" is no excuse at all.  It works fine as it is now and solo players paid for it the same as you, so please stop claiming that your way of playing is THE way of playing.  All players should be considered when changing a game post-release, not just a subset who happen to play a in certain way regarded as the "proper" way to play.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BuckleUpBones said:

The biggest problem is the lack of organizers amongst solo's, casuals and the 1.5 hour man, NPC PBs (better known as "NPC assault fleet" ūüėä) will act like a player organizer, once inbound captains should have the urge to join the group battle. The same thing happen pre-patch 27 around KPR, when 4th rate NPCs approached, players swarmed to do battle (something 6-7th elite hasn't achieve, oh and why would you have elites in a beginners zone anyway?).¬†

Raids will do that too. Many times your nation organizes with nothing to do. Raids will be quick, everyday content that doesn't take much planning or set up, you do right away when you log in and hopefully do it repeatedly in a day and get good rewards to it. Like it should be some mainline pvp content, in real terms it's probably going to overshadow PB's at some point.

PvE Peace Server:

For encouraging participation in an internationally organized PB, called to arms by either player as defender or conqueror of a port, let's switch that PB to a sort of 'patrol-zone-like' event where the same rules apply concerning combat medals earned by doing damage to NPC fleet involved.

That spurns volunteers following our call and does not leave to us the task to "pay" them for their engagement, what I think would be expected otherwise.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

It was sarcasm.

I get that devs need money to keep working on NA. Paints DLC is the best selling DLC, they could have added an ingame store so they dont have to pay steam 30% and separate the skins. So people can buy single skins for like 5 euro each or a season pass where you unlock a lot of them after certain challenges. It works in other games, why not here? They could also keep adding stuff like sail colors or whatever.

Instead they add more and more P2W DLC ships which breaks the whole economy which is an essential part of the game. And that in a fking 40‚ā¨ game...

Also they ironically compared it to Apex Legends, a F2P game where there is a massive shitstorm for their prices and availability for free users for their new cosmetics (zero ingame advantage btw).

Sorry friend, I honestly didn't catch the sarcasm haha. Yes I definitely agree. Maybe the success of the paint dlc will show them that this game can be profitable and that cosmetics are what people want. I honestly havent pulled out even in a single one of my dlc ships in the past week because I have easy access to great ships now all over the map. Cosmetics will keep people paying. I would've spent $5 each just for some of the flags (I pretty much bought the flag pack just for the Serapis and "Appeal to Heaven" flags). and I'd definitely pay $5 for a custom "Whistlin' Dixie" bell for my ship to use when I hit "J" or $10 for a pack of sea shantys for my guys to sing while they sail across OW.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 10:40 AM, Spikes said:

I hope that the NPC port battles will give something back to the players more than just "keeping the port". A gold+silver chest at the least, it's a small bit of compensation for the time spent, especially if the AI will field a full fleet (1 to 1 style like hostility missions?).

It would be nice if Port battles gave out a chest every one instead of just your weekly VM.   That would get more folks to want to fight them for the rewards, even if it's a simple paint chest (for those that don't have paint DLC) or some other reward.

On 8/15/2019 at 1:18 PM, Louis Garneray said:

zerg? WO had at the most 20 active players on a good night. That's no zerg :D:D

I do remember it was Russia, GB, Pirates and than Dutch, so we weren't even a zerg as pirates had more than we did at first or close to the same numbers.  They did what they always do in a nation when they get beat, they run to another nation.

• Like 1

I think the largest factions with the most powerful fleets and ships get hit by the AI RAIDS hardest to prevent them taking the whole map. This would provide an incentive for factions not to go too bananas with expanding. Not sure if my interpretation of the mechanic is correct though. I am sure the AI will lay off after a faction has too few ports left.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Destraex said:

I think the largest factions with the most powerful fleets and ships get hit by the AI RAIDS hardest to prevent them taking the whole map. This would provide an incentive for factions not to go too bananas with expanding. Not sure if my interpretation of the mechanic is correct though. I am sure the AI will lay off after a faction has too few ports left.

That would make sense. In my eyes it would be better to work with an economic penalty (as empires that grow will gain corruption and administration cost) but it would be a start. 

• Like 2

Just now, Sir Loorkon said:

That would make sense. In my eyes it would be better to work with an economic penalty (as empires that grow will gain corruption and administration cost) but it would be a start. 

I'd probably agree with that. But it is "naval action" rather than "economic action". ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Destraex said:

Correct.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Destraex said:

59 minutes ago, admin said:

Correct.

*Laughs in Polish*

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wyy said:

*Laughs in Polish*

Well, if they were able to be attacked by AI they wouldn't have 20 people to fill the PB. :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, admin said:

Correct.

Will AI abide by the frontline system? Or will they be able to randomly attack any port?

2 hours ago, admin said:
6 hours ago, Destraex said:

Correct.

This is an interesting idea. It could also serve to refresh the port map periodically by attacking ports owned by dead clans. If no-one defends, the nation can take it back easily (as long as the AI and reconquering the port doesn't degrade the investments).

2 hours ago, admin said:

Correct.

This would go a ways towards reducing the main danger to the game - the fact that there is no negative feedback loop on clan size, which can only end up with one clan ruling all (because statistics).  I doubt it is strong enough, AI being what it is.  But it is the very first time I've heard the Devs even recognize that this is a threat to the game.  I'm heartened.

41 minutes ago, El Patron said:

AI will attack players and ports...lol...its time to deinstall the game

Well you could always play on the "peace" server.¬† Oh, hang on....ūüôĄ

On 8/16/2019 at 6:13 PM, Karvala said:

IBLAH BLAH BLAH, SOLO THIS AND SOLO THAT.................

i'm going to make this very simple for you, "THE GAME WAS NEVER DESIGNED FOR SOLO PLAY."  Yes you can do it and it is harder and takes longer, but it was designed for group play and action.   Just cause that isn't your style of game doesn't mean they have to change things for you, cause it's not your game, it's the Devs game and they are making it the way they want.

If you wish to play solo than some things will be left out of the game for you unless you pay some one else to craft such things for you.  So your not truely being keep from all parts of the game, you just have to go about another means to gather certain things.

23 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

i'm going to make this very simple for you, "THE GAME WAS NEVER DESIGNED FOR SOLO PLAY

Most retarded thing i ever heardūü§™

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

i'm going to make this very simple for you, "THE GAME WAS NEVER DESIGNED FOR SOLO PLAY."  Yes you can do it and it is harder and takes longer, but it was designed for group play and action.   Just cause that isn't your style of game doesn't mean they have to change things for you, cause it's not your game, it's the Devs game and they are making it the way they want.

If you wish to play solo than some things will be left out of the game for you unless you pay some one else to craft such things for you.  So your not truely being keep from all parts of the game, you just have to go about another means to gather certain things.

You still seem to be struggling to understand a few things:-

1.  I'm not asking the devs to change the game to favour solo players.  In fact, I'm not asking them to change it at all.  Quite the contrary, I'm asking NOT to change it.  You're the one who is asking for changes to the detriment of a large group of players.

2. Who the game was initially designed for in 2014 is irrelevant anyway; it is who the players are now, how they play and what the current rules of the game are, which are relevant.

3. To say it's the Dev's game and they can make it however they want is begging the question.  Sure, they can introduce nuclear weapons on ships if they want, and make the top speed of every ship 2 knots.  Just don't expect any players to remain.  We're supposed to be having an intelligent discussion on what the changes should be, not just saying "it's up to the Devs so shut up".

To just dismiss a large group of players because they don't play like you, and claim that the game isn't for them and they should be disregarded when it comes to design decisions, is self-centred and arrogant in the extreme.

Edited by Karvala
  • Like 5

Texas is just trying to justify buying and levelling all his alts ... which he seems to need to be able to play the game, because his clanmates don't do any work and he has to do it all alone. He thinks that everybody should be an idiot and buy alts, like he did, to be able to play 'solo'¬† ūüėõ¬†¬† Next he will be crying again about how the US is soooo disadvantaged ... too bad they joined servers so i/we have to read is crap in chat again.

• Like 1