Game-Labs Forum

No Buy Contracts for Rum

In Mortimer and probably most capitals, the price of Rum is very high. This is because players place buy contracts for the rum that drops in the port, and then sell it for many times the buy price. This tactic is harmful to new players, as they end up paying nearly 300 reals per rum, or are forced to go without. Established players can craft their own rum, and often do, so it is only the new players that are being hurt by this. Yet, it is often the established players who are placing the buy contracts, looking to make a few reals at the expense of the new players of their own nation. 

I propose that buy contracts should not be able to be placed for rum.  

5 minutes ago, Papillon said:

I disagree, mainly because limits on the market are a bad idea.  However, rum should be bountiful at all admiralty shops.  Repairs too.

Buy contracts can already not be placed on trade goods, and that seems to work well. I do trading and can always get trade goods at shop prices, where as players can't seem to help inflating prices by nearly 30x. In a functioning free market, some time or labor would have to be added to the rum in order to increase the price, i.e. sailing it to a different port or something. 

nW8jKiU.png

LTnxEq7.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, --Privateer-- said:

I propose that buy contracts should not be able to be placed for rum

awww c'mon mate... there is never enough rum to go around anyway... er whispers... are yah one of those abolitionists? Because some of us may be a bit sensitive about our boose. :)

Also should consider.. that you can choose to sell your rum at what ever price you want to... just post like 10,000 units for say... 50 reals a piece... you will sell it all very fast... then do it again... and again and again... until everyone gets mad. It will be kind of like a trade war, could be fun and annoying.

• Like 1

This excuse of "new players" that need stuff is often exaggerated.  Lots of vets will help new players and give them stuff.

Occasionally a player may complain of a "new players" need, when it is really the player himself that wants stuff.  Probably is not the case with this OP ... but it does happen.

If you don't like that the price of rum is too high, then place some sell contracts for a lower price.  Problem solved.  

If you want a little rum for a cheaper price there are lots of solutions: 1) place buy contracts of your own.  2) Craft some rum, 3) contact a trader and buy direct, 4) join a clan 5) trade with your mates. 6) ask a random player for rum.

Removing the option to place buy contacts is the worst of bad ideas in an open sandbox style game.  

• Like 1