Game-Labs Forum

I can't help but to notice at night that you can hardly pass by a port without full Indiamen crashed into the shore under the protective guns of their respective forts, happily fishing away in the bay.

This seems troublesome for a few reasons:

1.  This is a risk-free, reward-plenty setup.  In the past, you could run a mortar brig up and destroy a fort, however, due to the buffs, this is no longer a practical option.
2.  This takes people who could be on the open world effectively out of the calculus of targets.
3.  Logically, one cannot help but to wonder where all these fish, in highly traveled waters right outside of port, are coming from.  How are they all getting caught?

The solution here is a simple one - there is already a mechanism in place to prevent fishing around Capital Zones.  This should be duplicated to a 10km exclusion zone around all ports, to force people who want to fish the night away to either:  A.  Pay attention, or B.  Find an out of the way place to do so.  This provides the opportunity for individuals to explore out of the way places in the hope of finding a fisherman toiling away.

In a nutshell, instead of giving people things for no effort with zero risk, I propose instead giving people things for minimal effort and minimal risk.

• Like 15

Agree 100%

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

I can't help but to notice at night that you can hardly pass by a port without full Indiamen crashed into the shore under the protective guns of their respective forts, happily fishing away in the bay.

1.  This is a risk-free, reward-plenty setup.  In the past, you could run a mortar brig up and destroy a fort, however, due to the buffs, this is no longer a practical option.
2.  This takes people who could be on the open world effectively out of the calculus of targets.
3.  Logically, one cannot help but to wonder where all these fish, in highly traveled waters right outside of port, are coming from.  How are they all getting caught?

The solution here is a simple one - there is already a mechanism in place to prevent fishing around Capital Zones.  This should be duplicated to a 10km exclusion zone around all ports, to force people who want to fish the night away to either:  A.  Pay attention, or B.  Find an out of the way place to do so.  This provides the opportunity for individuals to explore out of the way places in the hope of finding a fisherman toiling away.

In a nutshell, instead of giving people things for no effort with zero risk, I propose instead giving people things for minimal effort and minimal risk.

Your exclusion zone will hurt also the players that sail between close ports and like to fish a sealed bottle from time to time.

If people does that is because of the GRIND and a quite static environment which ends being boring. I played other mmos and havent seen so much afk like in NA. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

fishing is just a shitty feature and shipcrafting shouldn't even require provisions because this is just another low value ingredient, which adds nothing but tedium and annoyingness to the game, it also makes your ship's hold a mess when you're hoping for a bottle while you're searching for prey in ow

it would be the best if it was just deleted from the game tbh!

and you make ships out of wood not provisions so it doesn't even make sense!

Edited by Captain2Strong

1 hour ago, Captain2Strong said:

fishing is just a shitty feature and shipcrafting shouldn't even require provisions because this is just another low value ingredient, which adds nothing but tedium and annoyingness to the game, it also makes your ship's hold a mess when you're hoping for a bottle while you're searching for prey in ow

it would be the best if it was just deleted from the game tbh!

and you make ships out of wood not provisions so it doesn't even make sense!

and get rid of salt as well - pain in the neck and a useless commodity.

• Like 5

I enjoy fishing.  I've fished near ports in the past, but haven't done so since long before the last wipe.  The volume is much higher out on open water.  Tuna and Dorado yield higher tons per hour.   I like to fish while sailing between ports and often adjust my speed so the hold is close to full when I arrive.  I can make a good amount of reals from fishing and have sold provisions for as high as 300 reals a ton.  I've seen them for sale at 400 reals per ton.  Sold a thousand tons like that recently.

There may be other players like me that like to fish and sell provisions.  It would be very sad if the Devs removed fishing from the game and eliminated the business of selling provisions.

Please be considerate when you think of removing game mechanics.  I'm not sure how players, who don't like easy fishing and using provisions to build ships, will benefit from removing these mechanics.  Those players that don't like fishing near a port, or AFK, don't have to do so.  Allowing players easy fishing doesn't hurt anyone.  If you hate fishing just buy the provisions, put up a contract.   If you hate AFK fishing then don't do it.  AFK players really have very little impact on players who are not AFK.

If the Devs remove easy fishing and the market for selling provisions it won't necessarily force players to play the game differently, but it will very likely push them to quit.  Often it is the little things that make the game interesting.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Macjimm said:

I enjoy fishing.  I've fished near ports in the past, but haven't done so since long before the last wipe.  The volume is much higher out on open water.  Tuna and Dorado yield higher tons per hour.   I like to fish while sailing between ports and often adjust my speed so the hold is close to full when I arrive.  I can make a good amount of reals from fishing and have sold provisions for as high as 300 reals a ton.  I've seen them for sale at 400 reals per ton.  Sold a thousand tons like that recently.

There may be other players like me that like to fish and sell provisions.  It would be very sad if the Devs removed fishing from the game and eliminated the business of selling provisions.

Please be considerate when you think of removing game mechanics.  I'm not sure how players, who don't like easy fishing and using provisions to build ships, will benefit from removing these mechanics.  Those players that don't like fishing near a port, or AFK, don't have to do so.  Allowing players easy fishing doesn't hurt anyone.  If you hate fishing just buy the provisions, put up a contract.   If you hate AFK fishing then don't do it.  AFK players really have very little impact on players who are not AFK.

If the Devs remove easy fishing and the market for selling provisions it won't necessarily force players to play the game differently, but it will very likely push them to quit.  Often it is the little things that make the game interesting. 

... I'm not an AFK fisherman but I also fish while traveling because I need the provisions for crafting and like the gambling to get a sealed bottle.

I remember the time of the introduction of fishing in the game ... and the big afk fishing fleets in front of the ports ... and their raiders  ;)

In my opinion the fishing mechanics is ok and need no change ... but

Pleaese make salt great angain! ... that means ... salt was a important economic factor of this time period and it shouldn't be useless as now

Edited by Karpfanger
  • Like 9

10 hours ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

I found nice example that fishing near forts is not safe. Thx to @Black Mamba

Original post

• Like 4

Yes - in the example above they were at the edge of the fort's range, shadowed behind an Indiaman,  and still taking structure damage by the end of it.  Try that, in say, New Orleans ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

Yes - in the example above they were at the edge of the fort's range, shadowed behind an Indiaman,  and still taking structure damage by the end of it.  Try that, in say, New Orleans ;)

Perhaps simply require the ship to be moving for the fishing to work

• Like 3

It's not difficult to get pass the fort if you really need to. I've lost ships sinking fishermen, I've still killed a fair amount. If people want to leave their ships out of the dock overnight that's fine by me. I believe this is a non issue (concerning other areas of the game that could use refinement.)

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

This is the fishing fleet right between both forts and the round tower @ New Orleans. Bring a fleet ship preferably a DLC to distract the towers and forts and get to shooting.

https://ibb.co/rQ0S9jb

Edited by Rabman
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

Do you know which is another rewarding risk-free activity?

Ganking helpless traders far from capital zones counterganks squads.

Nuff I said. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, toblerone said:

Do you know which is another rewarding risk-free activity?

Nuff I said. 

It's red, it's dead. quitchabitchen

15 hours ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

Great, another thread creating some "problem" out of thin air.  If you don't like others fishing then sink them.

But thanks for the nice idea, I know what I want to do all day now while surfing the net.

• Like 5

These players that are fishing are probably just probing for bottles... the forts grant them good protection while in the open world... perhaps just cancel fishing around military forts... the garrison at the fort probably does not want any non-military activity around their forts anyway... :)

I'm fine with it. Most forget to reactivate fishing.

It's something like the same with labortime. People don't kill anyone for it. Labor Time only for people sitting in unarmed vessels idling at unprotected areas with all their belongings aboard:)

No. let it be as it is. If you need to blockade fishermen, get a fleet and set up a proper blockade.

• Like 3

I might have been too wordy previously.

The OP seems to be a suggestion to ruin some players fun ... for no good reason.  

• Like 2

btw

If all resources got from buildings then cost of provisions takes 34.4% of the cost of the most popular ship (Trader Brig fir/fir).

Posted (edited)
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:33 PM, Galt said:

It's red, it's dead. quitchabitchen

Aaaaand of course, all the fake PVP players around here did not pick the message, which was that when a well known "fir-fir" ganker complains on the forum about people AFKing fishing in safe spots, he is just doing that because he wants more easy kills with no actual combat. So - basically - he sounds to me as carebear as the AFK fishers he is complaning about.

Edited by toblerone
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, toblerone said:

Aaaaand of course, all the fake PVP players around here did not pick the message, which was that when a well known "fir-fir" ganker complains on the forum about people AFKing fishing in safe spots, he is just doing that because he wants more easy kills with no actual combat. So - basically - he sounds to me as carebear as the AFK fishers he is complaning about.

I see, I thought your comment was whinging about commerce raiding in general. Not really sure how someone could bitch about not being able to kill afk traders in peace. 

"How dare I not be able to kill someone without having to worry about being shot at" 

What the hello kitty kind of complaint is that?

Posted (edited)
On 8/8/2019 at 7:14 AM, toblerone said:

Its not ganking if your a pirate... the code is mare like guide lines anyway. :)

Edited by LIONOFWALES

The way I see it... if someone wants to play a game like this AFK, its fine... but they wont really be safe, there are players with specific skill sets that will learn how to break your game... that's what makes this game so much fun... its like a puzzle to them and these hunters will kill you if they can... This game is not designed to keep traders and fishermen safe... they need to invest in some kind of insurance... lets say... higher a player to stay with them while they fish that will keep them safe. The game is what you make it in the end...

Have fun hunting and trading!

• Like 2