Game-Labs Forum

How to Mount Guns

Oregon Redleg

Question

As a complete newb captain, I must be four kinds of stupid but I can't seem to mount cannon on any new ship I purchase...  I recently ground out five passenger transports with my basic cutter on the PvE server.  Those long hauls gave enough in reals to buy the Le Gros Ventre at the Kingston/Port Royal ship auction figuring I would become a trader extraordinaire.  I then looked to outfit the ship with cannon and that's when the frustrations started.  When I opened up the ship, the graphics told me the ship would hold 20 guns on the lower deck, either 4-9 lb guns or 12-24 lb carronades (Guns: 20, g: 4-9lb, c:12-24 lb).  Off to the store to buy 6 lb medium guns.  After purchasing, I again open the ship and try to select them from the warehouse.  They remain greyed out and unselectable.  I then buy 9 lb long guns.  Same issue.  9 lb medium guns, nope.  12 lb carronades, nada.  24 lb carronades, non.  Thinking it might be the ship itself, I bought the Hercules from the Steam store and bought some 18 lb guns for the lower deck.  While some of the 6 lb medium guns would install on the upper deck, the bow and the stern, I could not place any guns on the middle or lower decks.  Now I am out of money with a warehouse full of guns that won't install onto the ship(s).

What the heck am I doing wrong?  About ready to uninstall and eat the $50 I've spent up to this point...  M'aider, SVP!!!

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

The easiest way to mount guns on a ship is to hit N to bring up your list of ships. Click on the gear icon and that will bring up a small window that lists the gun layout of the ship. Click on the box where it has the details of the gun. This should spawn another small window that will list the available guns for that slot. To mount guns you need the full compliment of guns. So if you have at least 20 9p guns it should be available in this window.

20190801154051_1.jpg

If your gun deck takes 24 guys you MUST have all 24 guns, you can't just  put 12 guns on instead. You also must stick to the calibers that it allows. Just drag and drop into the slot and it will automatically take the guns it needs.

2 hours ago, Farrago said:

I don't recall... Can you mount guns if the particular ship is not set to "Main"?

While in port, hit N to bring up the ship list, click on the ship you want to arm or change weapons on. Click on the gold gear. From that same list you can also access the ship hold to add repairs and cargo as well. A ship can being either Docked, Main, or Fleet.

Step 1, Make sure you have your equip window up before selecting cannons in warehouse. Your equip icon should look like a golden mechanical gear... select it and pop that window up if you haven't already!

Step 2, Make sure your cannons are the correct quantity and rank.

Step 3, Click and drag guns and release cursor over the slot that you would like to equip said cannons to... or... try double clicking the cannons in your warehouse while your ship equipment window is up.

If this doesn't work... try to message the Admin. in the forum and explain your difficulty, they have been very helpful for me in the past.

Good luck out there and sail safe.

P.S. Try to sell the extra guns in contracts after doing some fishing … turn your fish into provisions and sell the provisions in order to regain the economy required to post your guns for sale... also make sure to post the guns at a busy port... do your research and ask around where the trade hubs are. Be careful though as pirates ravage the shore lines adjacent to these ports of commerce.

Edited by LIONOFWALES