Game-Labs Forum

Confederacy, should I finish Shiloh at day 1, or 2?

Percon

Are there any advantages to play day 2? Other than to farm kills, which Im after, and capture more armament.

Did a test run on major general, 28k vs 11k. It was I think almost a year ago, since I last played, need to remind myself a lot. 

More runs will be made, which will mean more casulties inflicted, and less suffered, but I need to know whats better, do the 1st run, or 2nd, because that will mean some things are going to change during the play through. 

2nd day adds more union units and will allow officers wounded on the first day to heal. If you're looking for kills it is strictly better, but in practice it really depends on if you can keep the casualties to your own units down. Also, finishing off the Union on day 2 will mean more time spent getting fired at by the gunboats. It's not that dangerous but it does add up.

I'm assuming you won't be going into Shiloh with any spare money, but if you do you will be charged to refill your wagons on day 2.

Oh, hi there pandakraut, I just happen to watch your YT videos about Shiloh today :D. nice to see you here. 

This is my save pre Shiloh, and I think this is what I went to battle with, I didnt play from this moment, but some in progress 1st part, left flank. The only thing that I can think of that could change is my supply, other than that, everything is the same as on the screen.

ps.jpg

Edited by Percon
  • Like 1

Doable, but with the results close to what I was expecting +10k casulties inflicted, +10k casulties suffered. I was on the landing, already captured it, +/- 10 seconds and I would've won. 

Now, need to decide, if i want to do it the 1st day, or the 2nd. Out of all casulties sustained 9460 are from my army.

That was 2nd test fast run, on max speed.

121k $ after draw, 12k recruits, 3k left after unit replenishment.  

ns.jpg

Edited by Percon

Percon & PandaKraut,

You may wish to try using 3 to 4 24-gun artillery battalions placed on the hill by the river (near the end of the defense line) plus 1-2 skirmisher units.  I usually make a quick job of both gun boats - sinking them on the first day.  Then, use the artillery against the 3 newly-landed Yankee brigades that show up in the upper right part of the map.

I usually smash the Yank army during the first day, surrounding big chunks as kill-sacks, and then on the second day when the armies are relocated on the map for you(?), it is solely a race for each of my 4 corps to go to a separate valued-flag location.  Generally there are not enough Yank units remaining to make a fight on the 2nd day.

--Gael

27 minutes ago, Gael said:

You may wish to try using 3 to 4 24-gun artillery battalions placed on the hill by the river (near the end of the defense line) plus 1-2 skirmisher units.  I usually make a quick job of both gun boats - sinking them on the first day.  Then, use the artillery against the 3 newly-landed Yankee brigades that show up in the upper right part of the map.

Unless you are using one of the mods you really don't want to be using 24 gun units. They'll only be doing about as much damage as a 4 gun unit. 12 or 14(for a slight boost) is as large as you want to make artillery units.

For myself, I've generally found that it's not worth the trouble of getting vision on the gunboats to try and sink them. Though I'm usually going up the middle left of the map so I'm nowhere near them anyways.

I'm currently here, trying to as always find the best method possible to dominate. 

1. Top area red marker. 

2 inf units, 1 artillery.

At 01:54 +2 infantry units appears, +1 artillery unit.

At 01:27 +3 infantry units appear, +1 artillery unit.

Which means I have 00:27 whatever that is, to use the advantage in my favor and attack with 6 infantry units +2 artillery units. It's impossible to break anything in such a short amount of time, I might only lower their numbers. That's the 1st option, attack, and fall back to take cover, or 2nd just full attack, attack to the end of the right flank part. 

2. Middle area red marker, that bother's me, but there's nothing I can do about it because focusing on this part, means the whole top is impossible to be done the way I want, the way it's best to be done, pushing from left to right. I've already started surrounding the left flank, that creates some sort of wedge in between the Union Armies, which prevents them from getting together, running in these directions. Left flank is meant to be reinforcements, right flight does it's part, and later stays in position. Left flank moves in and creates a horseshoe, which leads to victory at day 2. That's the plan, now all I want is to do it the best possible way.

I didn't bother with the gunboat even once, during any play through on Shiloh, it's not worth it, though cannon placement surely is important, as well places guns can get XXX numbers.

That's my raport from the battlefield. I'm not afraid about the 2nd part of the left flank, because I already did that and I know that Union will evaporate, it's the 1st part of the right flank, and 2nd part of the right flank, that's troublesome.  

cs.jpg

Update, that's what I want to achieve, but better, surround them, and lower their numbers.

cs.jpg

Edited by Percon

Done, but not exactly. I'm close to finish, just need to arrange the last part even better, so I played just to win, and take a screen, check the stats, see how it went. That's day 1, the very first thing I wanted to achieve, I still might do the 2nd day, especially since I can farm Union now.

sd.jpg

From today, better results.

vs2.jpg

That's it. I'm calling it a victory, and heading out to camp. 

vsb.jpg

Edited by Percon