Game-Labs Forum

Will be great to add the possibility to name your ships when you crafted it, like we do whith the woods

How we know that it will open a dangerous way to find unreal(or worse) ship's names.

Why not do something like the ship's paints. Add a list with historical real names of the national navy's ships, and in a future will be added more names(passed a Inquisition exam).

I know that this idea was post it many times the last 2 years but...will be a good add to the game.

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, Immersive Ganking said:

And suddenly we end up with a dozen "HMS Temeraire" in a PB, no.

Maybe at the beginning will be a few same ships's called but for example in the Spanish Navy we have more than 100 ships names that we can use it, and in a future(like the devs are doing with the paints) will be added more historial names or, players proposal names that the devs admit it like no offensives

• Like 2

I could post a screenshot of my ignore list, then you add HMS in front of those names and you will see why this is bad idea.

Possibly if can choose between a list of names..., but.. not really very optimal solution either. I would just leave as it is.

Edited by Tsai Dao Ming

12 minutes ago, Tsai Dao Ming said:

Possibly if can choose between a list of names...

That is the idea.

Example for a spanish names ships(377 ship names for 7th-6th ship class )

https://www.todoavante.es/index.php?title=Categoría:Menores_1701_a_1833

Edited by D. Federico de Gravina y N

i think it would make more sense to instead of having the ship name in the scoreboard you have the class since its more ships of the same class.

Eg Bellona class, Leda-Class, Océan-Class. Then after that people could have their names, like HMS Bellona, Trincomalee, L'Océan, small detail, but can mean much

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Tsai Dao Ming said:

Possibly if can choose between a list of names...

Isn't it what is suggested ?

This could work like the paint dlc, with a list of each sister-ships names & equivalent class from other countries (like trincomalee having the names listed of all the leda-class frigates serie, + Hébé-class names, etc.) 

This would give L'Ocean 30+ possible historical names for exemple :

(Commerce de Marseille, Etats de Bourgogne, Montagne, Peuple, Océan, Dauphin Royal, Sans Culotte, Orient, Majestueux, République Française, Vengeur, Impérial, Fleurus, Quatorze Juillet, Liberté des Mers, Républicain, Austerlitz, Ville de Paris, Wagram, Montebello, Sans Pareil, Héros, Friedland, Souverain, Trocadéro, Formidable, Colosse, Roi de Rome, Inflexible, Louis XIV, Tonnant, Royal Louis).

I think the only problem about it, is if dev consider it incompatible with the already modelled names on the stern.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

Isn't it what is suggested ?

This could work like the paint dlc, with a list of each sister-ships names & equivalent class from other countries (like trincomalee having the names listed of all the leda-class frigates serie, + Hébé-class names, etc.) 

This would give L'Ocean 30+ possible historical names for exemple :

(Commerce de Marseille, Etats de Bourgogne, Montagne, Peuple, Océan, Dauphin Royal, Sans Culotte, Orient, Majestueux, République Française, Vengeur, Impérial, Fleurus, Quatorze Juillet, Liberté des Mers, Républicain, Austerlitz, Ville de Paris, Wagram, Montebello, Sans Pareil, Héros, Friedland, Souverain, Trocadéro, Formidable, Colosse, Roi de Rome, Inflexible, Louis XIV, Tonnant, Royal Louis).

I think the only problem about it, is if dev consider it incompatible with the already modelled names on the stern.

now playing around this, imagine if each name has a unique traith that gives a slight positive/negative bonus, like they have in TLIML your character get certain bonus stats out from what you call it.

15 minutes ago, Wyy said:

now playing around this, imagine if each name has a unique traith that gives a slight positive/negative bonus, like they have in TLIML your character get certain bonus stats out from what you call it.

such as... RMS Titanic ? 😉

btw most of the name of the French ships are unrelated to nautical qualities. USS Constitution or HMS Pandora are not either.

I for one am not a fan of magic in historical games.

19 minutes ago, LeBoiteux said:

such as... RMS Titanic ? 😉

btw most of the name of the French ships are unrelated to nautical qualities. USS Constitution or HMS Pandora are not either.

I for one am not a fan of magic in historical games.

dont speak about magical names, leda class ships had trincomalee, shannon etc so maybe if you call it trincomalee +1% speed and heel in storm, or shannon +10 morale fighting US ships (since she beat the USS Chesapeake). Or maybe calling the Victory class Victory |+5 morale to closest 5 friendly ships|

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, Wyy said:

dont speak about magical names, leda class ships had trincomalee, shannon etc so maybe if you call it trincomalee +1% speed and heel in storm, or shannon +10 morale fighting US ships (since she beat the USS Chesapeake). Or maybe calling the Victory class Victory |+5 morale to closest 5 friendly ships|

magical traits...

3 hours ago, Immersive Ganking said:

Also leaving people to freely pick a name for their ship, outside of historical names, would probably end up with retards choosing names like "USS Ni**erhunter" and other racist or homophobic bullshit. iIt's good we can't choose names for our ships.

Easy to avoid with names needed to be aproved by moderator/admiralty

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LeBoiteux said:

magical traits...

well we can already grow our own forests around the caribbean aswell as just starting up coal mines etc, so these are one of the least "magical" traits that could be added, they wouldnt do much but give the ships some personality, and yet again try to not make this game any shallower then it already is.

35 minutes ago, Wyy said:

Magical traits.. for me too

I'd much rather it be as suggested above, with each ship refered to by its class instead of the name of one ship of such class.

The only way I see names not being annoying is if they are purely cosmetic and only shown when hailing a friendly player or in the ship equipment/stat card. I don't like the idea of "name bonuses".

On 8/1/2019 at 4:17 AM, Pablo Montoya said:

a solution could be that the names could only be seen by the owner of the ship. a client side thing.
so no one sees bizarre ship names

This seem the best way.  Also friends could be able see the name of each other's ship.

Or perhaps just have an ignore feature that blocks chat, mail, etc,  AND the player's ship name.

Edited by Macjimm

On 8/1/2019 at 3:54 AM, Immersive Ganking said:

Also leaving people to freely pick a name for their ship, outside of historical names, would probably end up with retards choosing names like "USS Ni**erhunter" and other racist or homophobic bullshit. iIt's good we can't choose names for our ships.

You already have that with 3rd rate, bellona, victory etc.....................

Edited by Jean LaPointe

On 8/1/2019 at 2:54 AM, Immersive Ganking said:

Do you really think that with 100s of names to choose from, the odds of a port battle fleet being 25 x “the same name” is probable? Already it’s 25 x L’Ocean or whatever.

The idea is it will make captains feel more personably connected with their ships. More engagement is a good thing. 

Edited by Farrago
  • Like 1

If the developers are not willing to leave the choice on the player's hand to choose their own names, perhaps a name generator would solve that? Something like randomize name until you get a fitting one for your liking, that would indeed be more precisely to the time being, since captains didn't choose their ships nor names, they were simply assigned to them whenever they needed a captain, so I don't think giving that choice to the player would be wise, most of the players are naval officers, perhaps the pirates would've been different, but having in mind that they don't even have custom flags, why would gamelabs give them the choice of naming their ships.

I'm all forward for this idea, but knowing gamelabs history of throwing a thumb to the playerbase, I don't see this system coming to us at all, it would be satisfying us too much for gamelabs to accept.

• Like 2

The randomisation of ship names is a much more appealing idea in contrast to leaving the players on their own with something potentially 'deadly'. - For instance, what has been recommended multiple times, the ''random name generator'' is perfectly feasible. There is no real connection to ones own ship, especially when their are five of the same name'd 4th rates in the same battle.

I would not mind seeing five of the sames ships named differently as it adds flavour and variety to an otherwise dull naming experience. 

Edited by George Burton
  • Like 3