Game-Labs Forum

"Balancing" content

blademage

I post my idea here, because it are SOLs that are missing.

We have lots of frigates and smaller or unrated vessels (even if not enough, you can never have enough) and a few 4th rates, but are missing some variance in the higher fleet ranks. 3rd rate became filled with frigates (U.S./Constitution) and Wasa, where we basically only have the Bellona (in two variants) as real 3rd rates now (64s are rated 4th). In the upper ranks we only have three of each rank (Thanks for the Christian).

So what i am missing are more ships of the line. I guess they are already WIP, as we already intensivley talked and voted about Téméraire-,  Wreker- and Montañés class, etc.

For the "big players" there also are (were) great proposals here. St. Ana Class, Brittania or Royal Sovereign, Indomptable,  Barfleur, Namur,  Purísima Concepción, etc. but what we are really lacking are 3rd rates from other nations. Dutch, french, spanish, italian, russian, swedish, norwegian etc. navies had a lot of very interesting vessels with 64-80 guns and the 3rd rates filled all battles.

I guess the stern galleries and bowsprit are the worst part in design-work (besides rigging), but as for most vessels there are no detailled (and realistic) plans of hull and rigging, there could be some copy/paste, stretch and scale work on existing models.

Another thing that would greatly allow to improve variance in game, would be to extend the time frame just by a few years, as many ships around the world were launched after 1820 (I'd suggest to extend the range to ~1825-1830 at cost of a few years in the past (I think Ingermanland 1715 is the oldest vessel, and thats fine for me).

And not to forget: we need more dock space (e.g. adding additional 5 per outpost^^)

• Like 1

The uss frigates should be in the "Light" section of the 4th rates because its designed as a frigate. However they are moved up to 3rd rate because of tonnage which imo is bullshit when a St.Pavel looses bow spirit to a Wappen von Hamburg etc. Realistically the connie would be smashed even by agamemnon and would have problems with the indefitgable since its being a razeed lineship, but to stay more on topic.

The permits for 2nd rate and 1st rates are redicilously accessible considering how much better they are then the 3rd rates, who in their sane mind would chose a 10 combat mark permit for wasa over 30 combat mark permit for l'ocean

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, blademage said:

[..]Another thing that would greatly allow to improve variance in game, would be to extend the time frame just by a few years, as many ships around the world were launched after 1820 (I'd suggest to extend the range to ~1825-1830 at cost of a few years in the past (I think Ingermanland 1715 is the oldest vessel, and thats fine for me).

And not to forget: we need more dock space (e.g. adding additional 5 per outpost^^)

+1 for dock space 😛

Extending the range to 1825-1830 is problematic because a massive power creep happened in RL after the Napoleonic Wars. You edge into the range of Paixhans guns and of all-deck 32pd gun layouts on first and second rates. It'll be difficult to not make older ships obsolete as they were in RL.

I couldn't agree more on the lack of 64-80, especially 74s. They need a role in the current meta, too.

Edited by Snoopy

Well, regarding the changes after the napoelonic war:

I didn't bother about any new or realistic weaponry. Just the ship models and design, as later builds seem to be better documented and the smaller nations still had their older ships finished in the later years (ottoman and greek, russian, nordic etc.).

In the loading screens we do see several ships from that time (around 1815-1830).

I wrote this a long time ago, its still relevant;

Its probably also worth pointing out that since as far as I understand it gamelabs don't have a systematic process to design ships they hand build each one from the ground up the actual modelling of the ships is such a small part of the work. Modelling is about 10-15% of the total work involved with making a ship into a playable thing, there's also a lot of texture work but the vast majority of the time and money goes into programming the ship and trying to balance it properly.

Balance is an eternal problem that if I'm honest GL rarely get right. The game just needs to accept that certain ships should have certain limits, the current roster is also somewhat random and distorted with a vast need for filling out with a lot more variety. The need to create a use for more ships and the realistic balance of the 74 being the most viable compromise between economy, firepower and sailing qualities and should be the most useful battleship in the game, while other heavier/lighter ships should also have meaningful places and be a lot rarer on the waters.

• Like 1