Game-Labs Forum
George Burton

Future of Naval Action?

Posted (edited)

I'm relatively new to this forum and may be somewhat behind on the latest development surrounding Naval Action. However, I could not find much in the way of Naval Action and ''The future'' - I've been a fan of Naval Action and player since 2016-2017 and have continuously followed the active development of the game. I appreciate how the developers have taken their time in regards to ship research and visuals. It definitely is the best game in its field.

However, what is the future of Naval Action going to look like? For instance:

- Expanded naval regions (Atlantic, Pacific, etc) 

- Newer Ships

These are the only two I can really think of and understandably in the games current state it makes sense for the developers to keep (at least the first) until last. Of course, also counting the size of the player base. Which, has improved to a regular 1000 players each day. 

I understand the developers have their hands full, one game I look particularly forward to is ''Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail'' - I definitely will be buying this to test the moment I have the money. However, I am concerned as to the future of Naval Action the most, it's a lovely game with brilliant naval mechanics. I hope people can clarify as to what the situation is and sorta provide a 'roadmap' if possible.

Thank you for your time. - Hewlettasha

Edited by Hewlettasha
Changing one word.
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

I believe the game is essentially as its going to be... I personally don't know their development plans and the Admin likes to make surprises once in a while. I think they may be considering implementing an aggressive NPC mechanic where if the NPC thinks it can defeat you it may try to catch you and destroy you in instance... this is going to help reduce AFK sailing... at least I think this is the purpose for this possible future interation.  Keep in mind, I am not development, nor am I affiliated with them... so all this is just hear say for now and is based off of some old news in the forums from about a month or two ago... I believe they will be perfecting a few minor details and then will probably release more info regarding plans at a later date... I think their is some kind of road map for the rest of this year that is available in the leader board section of this forum... or perhaps if you search Admin for their posts you may find the info that way as well.

Good luck Captain, three cheers for the frigates and their gallant Captains! :)

Safe sailing my friend.

I like the idea of adding more ships to the game... either in DLC or rewards... blue prints are my favorite though as we then can build the ships to gain special port bonuses. As for adding the Pacific as accessible … We should have to run around the horn of South America... this would be really cool... and with adding the Atlantic we could circumnavigate the globe and have international trade at a whole other level... why this would even open up the possibility of adding some far east ship designs as well... and I am always in for more variety. 

Edited by LIONOFWALES
agreement
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hewlettasha said:

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@LIONOFWALES @Hewlettasha caribbean IS far big enough for our playerbase of only 1k. adding pacific/atlantic would mean 10k+ considering those waters are WAY larger than the caribbean. Also imagine how much storage they would need for their servers to operate that, i would much rather fix the caribbean version and optimizing that potential before moving on other continents

Edited by Guest

This game had so much potential to become a quite popular game (IMO, a couple of years ago the gameplay was far better than now). Unfortunately the monetizazion model that devs chose to adopt turned it in a small niche game, not very appealing for the average player and that therefore is kept afloat by a small basis of aficionados spending a lot of money in alt accounts and DLCs.

For this reason I think that nothing important will ever be changed in the game. Only new DLCs will be added to get the money to keep servers up.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, toblerone said:

..nothing important will ever be changed in the game. Only new DLCs will be added..

Sadly, I think the same. (maybe except port raids)

Edited by Sven Silberbart

I have high-hopes the developers will change and create an amazing game. I hope Naval Action continues to prosper as I remember the days where the game had barely 400 players on and now it has 1000 which is a significant improvement. The DLC is also something I really wish'd they would avoid adding, but I can't really say much as I did buy the L'Hermione. 

I appreciate everybody's comments and look forward to more. 

13 hours ago, Hewlettasha said:

I have high-hopes the developers will change and create an amazing game. I hope Naval Action continues to prosper as I remember the days where the game had barely 400 players on and now it has 1000 which is a significant improvement. The DLC is also something I really wish'd they would avoid adding, but I can't really say much as I did buy the L'Hermione. 

I appreciate everybody's comments and look forward to more. 

Well, NA used to have 2500+ players in early alpha and now it has only 1000 after release, that's closer to the sad reality. Every player had hope, there's just less player hoping today.

this game could be better than EVE, but they don't want to improve nothing. just pew-pew and buy dlc

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Let's keep it civil.  Thanks.  - H. Darby

Edited by Henry d'Esterre Darby

I understand many players on this forum have a different opinion regarding the development team and the decisions they have made. It's a shame that Naval Action in the past had 2500+ players on. I have very faint memories of the game during this time so I have little to say in that regard. However, I hope people continue playing. It'd be great if the developers would develop the game more so that solo players had much more to do.

Understandably, the game is oriented towards playing as a team. Regardless, I hope this changes and Naval Action gets an update that significantly improves the playerbase. 

@Hewlettasha

It’s a good question you propose and I too asked myself the same thing. My problem is one of imagination. I love the game dynamics both combat and world building. Yes, I agree it has the potential to be on a par with EvE Online like someone said. The potential...

And yet like that amateur armchair Admiral, football coach, and General what seems obvious to me the Dev team seem blinded what I think is the obvious path. PC Game publishing is not my business and yet it frustrates me why Game-Labs fail to follow and adopt proven paths like EvE or WoWs...

https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/26423-idea-norfolk-compares-apples-to-oranges-to-avoid-a-lemon/

This link above is an old comparison I did on the three games. I point out the access to resources and the fact both CCP and W.n where both of similar size to GL when starting out. However, one thing I fail to mention is the business objective.

Game-Labs ethos (company mission statement) is to produced several different games and not be reliant on just one. This makes sense but means HR allocation in such a small business causes a problem. CCP was troubled for years with a total dependence on EvE and failed with other projects.

Look at GL with Ultimate General UG, UG Gettysburg and Naval Action. Three published games, with UA Age of Sail, UA Dreadnought and This Land is My Land in the pipeline. That’s six games excluding bolt on DLC packs. The Games industry hit or miss is a minefield so spreading the risk seems like a good strategy...

However, like the wife says Jack of all trades but master of none springs to mind. I don’t want a bland Me2 game product. A GL game I expect to be a hard learning curve with very challenging game play. The reason why we have DarthMod @Nick Thomadis in house. This they do deliver over several products.

Without being the Fanboy I am, the mass market appeal to any one of GL products is low. If @admin devoted or allocated 100% of his resources including DarthMod to Naval Action Open-World it would be a truly out of this world game. How much more inward investment would come GL way beyond todays incarnation? I guess not much more at all. It’s a small audience.

I might be wrong...

EvE Online I played for six maybe seven years hardcore. That game today was NOT the game it was years ago. Its grown, developed and got better overtime. This was done by the CCP Dev Team promising ONE update per year for the game. This was paid for by monthly subs.

Naval Action-OW I think/warrants continued GL Dev input and game upgrades. I would like to see a genuine visible statement to this effect. This is different to just releasing TOP-UP flag DLCs and the like. Like EvE the game NA-OW I want to see grow and build out over time.

How to pay for Development...

The idea I have and see is a DLC Duel Room function first. This to then build out to a stand-alone ARENA game. This if pushed and developed properly would allow funding back into the NA-OW franchise...  

To close...

For NA-OW to develop in the future then a need to understand the GL business mission is warranted. I don’t want to see NA stagnate, but in order to build it needs more funding than just the current DLCs in my opinion...

Norfolk.

• Like 1

naval action has no future

• Like 2