Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
Jagsdomain

Better to have small or large army?

Recommended Posts

I finally beat Shilo and getting ose to Malvern Hill. I am playing of newby mode. But wondering if investing in the size os the army was a great idea.

I have my organazation up so the next level would 2500 men per regiment. It seems that no matter how big my unit size is the enemy still has 300 plus more than I do.

Now I am finding that I don't have the guns and or money to kit or re-kit out an corp let alone make a new corp eve though Gen Grant is waiting.

Would better strat have been to leave yhe army small and have another corp or to up grade the guns of a smaller army before going big? Or is it a matter of the date as to making a bigger army.

Another words waiting till after 7 days battle to get a bigger army?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been a while since I played, but you don't want to grow to fast to big.  Remember some battles  you will just always be out number cause that was how it was.  Really wish some of the effects you do in battles before effective the enemy more.   I have had some battles I barely meet the objective and others I wiped the field clean.  That and really wish some one would make more battles and campaign for the game as it was fun but needs more content.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big or small can both work. A decent rule is to try to bring the recommended number of brigades to every battle. If you have the men and weapons to make larger units as well you can give it a try and see if you like the outcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pandakraut said:

Big or small can both work. A decent rule is to try to bring the recommended number of brigades to every battle. If you have the men and weapons to make larger units as well you can give it a try and see if you like the outcome.

cool. Experament!

Shilo was vicious. Lost half my army

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2019 at 7:24 PM, Jagsdomain said:

I finally beat Shilo and getting ose to Malvern Hill. I am playing of newby mode. But wondering if investing in the size os the army was a great idea.

I have my organazation up so the next level would 2500 men per regiment. It seems that no matter how big my unit size is the enemy still has 300 plus more than I do.

Now I am finding that I don't have the guns and or money to kit or re-kit out an corp let alone make a new corp eve though Gen Grant is waiting.

Would better strat have been to leave yhe army small and have another corp or to up grade the guns of a smaller army before going big? Or is it a matter of the date as to making a bigger army.

Another words waiting till after 7 days battle to get a bigger army?

Hi,

I tend to limit my Brigades to a maximum of 2000. I often field only 1500 strong Brigades.

I find it better to field the number of brigades permitted.

This gives me better mobility and better options for moving troops to an area if a crisis occurs.

When I see an enemy Brigade of 2500. It’s but like a red rag to a bull. I concentrate on reducing the size of it.

I always find it easy to outflank large Brigades.

Best wishes 

Edited by contact
Error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jagsdomain,

During the first 2-3 big battles as the South, I will go for 2,000 troops per brigade.  After that, I generally go for 1800-man brigades with 24-gun artillery battalions and a few 750 troop cavalry units.  The 1800 man units, at least for me and my style of play, work very well at having strong units in sufficient numbers to take on the Yank troops. 

In most battles I find an opportunity to capture or eliminate large parts of or a whole army of Yanks.  Once you do this on a semi-constant basis, your army will be equivalent in size and then becoming larger than the opposing Federal army in the later battles.

For numbers leading up to 2nd Manassas / 2nd Bull Run, search for "Gael", for examples of numbers of troops I have accumulated by that time, but also other perspectives and insights that I have written about.  (I used to live in Manassas, VA, by the battlefields of 1st and 2nd Manassas, and near Bristoe Station, Thoroughfare Gap, Chantilly, Winchester, Fredericksburg, Antietam, Chancellorsville,  Gettysburg, Spotsylvania, Brandy Station, and Wilderness, along with Washington, DC, and I was one of the 4,000 re-enactors for the TNT movie "Gettysburg".)  If they don't strike a chord with you, that's OK, this is the beauty of the game and this forum.

      -- Gael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Gael said:

During the first 2-3 big battles as the South, I will go for 2,000 troops per brigade.  After that, I generally go for 1800-man brigades with 24-gun artillery battalions and a few 750 troop cavalry units.  The 1800 man units, at least for me and my style of play, work very well at having strong units in sufficient numbers to take on the Yank troops. 

Just a note that in the unmodded game, you will be taking damage penalties if certain units types get to large. This is most important for artillery and snipers where there are severe damage penalties for going over 14 guns or ~375 men skirmisher units(applies to dismounted cavalry as well).

See this post for supporting data: https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/26142-hidden-mechanics-and-weapon-damage-degradation/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...