Game-Labs Forum
SlightlyOff

new building - Recon Outpost

In my current game, I have a little over 20% of the land freed. I've tried to put one village in every territory so that I'll have vision of it even when I'm not in that area. But now my village list is huge and becoming not fun to deal with. Many of those villages exist just for vision even though I upgrade them to 15 pop or so to prevent overall warrior over-population. Besides my main five villages that work on gathering things, I have a few forward bases placed to block road traffic, etc. I actually stopped talking with villages in enemy territory because I don't want to make that list any longer. But it really is a pain going through a list of villages which most have no meaning to me. It's turning a fun guerilla warfare game into a village management slog for me. I know that everyone will have a different way to have fun, but I think I have a solution that I really, really hope you devs will seriously think about.

Recon Outpost building:

1. 10 rope, 20 wood, 3 warriors, 3 hunting bows, 21 arrows (or something like that to represent how you are getting the recon)
  2. can only be placed in territory/province that is completely cleared of occupied enemy outposts (liberated)
  3. gives vision for that territory/province just like if you had a village there
  4. does not show up on the village list (different icon, can't interact with it like the villages)
  5. destroyed if enemy expands it's borders into that territory?

Somethings like this would be amazing for a person like me. It would make it so I can have vision without having that huge village list. Ugh.. I think with my current game, I think I'll just start disbanding villages because I already quit out of frustration earlier today.... hmm, maybe just kill every non-30 base that isn't front line. Anyway, please give it serious consideration.

complicated topic. imo the village list interface is just too simple for many camps and would need a rework.

e.g., a use case: you need to inspect your camps sequentially (looking for some resource, looking to upgrade, etc). so you have your camp list on the far right, and camp details on the far left.

you select the a camp in the list. the map shows it centered, and the icon on the list is highlighted, now you can operate with the camp on the panel on the left. so far so good.

but the moment you do anything in the left panel, the selected icon in the list on the right stops being highlighted. meaning that when you're done there is no visual clue as to where you left off and which the 'next' camp in the list is. so you have to check the name of the current camp on the panel (far left) then visually find it on the list (far right) which is not ordered alphabetically besides being gibberish names. if you also have a wide screen monitor (which i absolutely recommend for this game) and the font type is small, this is really a poor interface.

some 'fixes' to this would be:

• always highlight the selected camp on the list on the right, no matter what, unless you select a different camp
  • add 'next/prev' camp buttons on the camp info panel on the left.

but that's still not an optimal system for a high number of camps. your solution is good but limited, rather than a new specific type of outpost i would prefer to be able to tag my camps (gather-x/border/outpost/attack/etc) and then have them grouped or filtered by tag. anyway some interface would be necessary to quickly find camps of a specific type, color coding of tags on the map would be just brilliant. actually, the list could be gone and the whole thing could be done exclusively on the map, the only problem of that is that the map would need visual clues and moving and zooming should be a bit more responsive. zooming sometimes even stops working for a while.

I personally think the whole camp management system needs redesigning or at the very least optimizing to make actions reliably instant rather than what is current where you click a button or some other action and nothing happens so you have to click it several times, also buttons and functions disappear and reappear seemingly at random?

I'm sure I've read somewhere here on the forum that the devs are aware of this and said they are going to fix it but, for me personally, this is one of the biggest issues if not the biggest issue with this game right now.... I hope it is being fixed as a priority? :)

11 hours ago, znôrt said:

your solution is good but limited, rather than a new specific type of outpost i would prefer to be able to tag my camps (gather-x/border/outpost/attack/etc) and then have them grouped or filtered by tag. anyway some interface would be necessary to quickly find camps of a specific type, color coding of tags on the map would be just brilliant. actually, the list could be gone and the whole thing could be done exclusively on the map, the only problem of that is that the map would need visual clues and moving and zooming should be a bit more responsive. zooming sometimes even stops working for a while.

You are coming from the viewpoint of reworking the village management system. That needs done and I know that the devs will work on that at some point, but that isn't what this post is about really.

Solutions focused on solving one particular issue well are very often limited in scope. It's not meant to be a replacement for the village system, but to augment a very specific desire of having vision of the territory while adding absolutely nothing to village management. It's a tightly focused solution for getting vision of liberated territories for people that want to play a minimalist style regarding village management.