Game-Labs Forum
znôrt

stun arrows

stun arrows are far too op. while an excellent tactical option they are so effective it's just full terminator. it is trivial to jump into any bunch of enemies and drop them all down without even being seen. the same action with a regular bow would alert everyone and you wouldn't get past the third guy.

on top of that they can be mass produced by tribesmen. in comparison iron arrows are very hard to get by and just give some extra damage, while stun arrows are a complete game changer. but while artificial scarcity could be a mitigation, i think it would be way better to reign in stun arrows to be the extra tactical option they were meant to be.

a suggestion:

• only stun on head shot
  • marginal damage anywhere else (plus maybe alerting sound?)

also, the animations of folks just dropping dead are kind of anti climatic. specially when falling from a horse! when you get a stone to the head you don't just faint and blackout, there's quite some kinetic energy transfer visibly going on. the animations used for regular arrows would be just fine.

Edited by znôrt
  • Like 2

Good point mate...
I've not actually experienced using the stun-arrows yet but have seen them in operation in player videos, and they are what I'd call a typical arcade type feature that really shouldn't be in a game like this? Or at the very least dumbed down so as to not make it so easy. 

I agree stun should only happen on head shot.

But not anymore so easy at higher level. I recently was on a camp of 15 or 20 guys (don't know) plus a roaming group of 10 or 15 more. I launched a single headshot on a guy 100m away from the camp : everybody quickly ran to the stunned corpse to see what was happening, searching for me ... and quickly finding me :-P 

I started stunning everyone, but couldn't hold it, guys going out of stun before I could stun all the others. I started to kill everyone, ran out of arrows, and had to run away as fast as I could :-))

I'm at around 250 warriors, 25% of the land, and I feel it starts to be a bit trickier. Was it just a single hard camp, or will it be the case for more of them now ? Don't know ... I hope it's really becoming harder, that would be a very good thing that fighting becomes harder as you get yourself stronger, with an AI becoming more aggressive.

Edited by Astrée

Please don't give the devs any ideas about changing how the stun arrow works. Not all of us are marksman shots, and its pretty hard for me to hit an enemy anywhere on his body if he's moving, never mind if i was going for head shots. Please Ink, keep the stun arrow as it is, especially for players like me who don't have the best aim in the world

Yeah, it is op against small groups especially when you are well hidden. But as soon as the numbers of enemies rise up or you miss a head shot (alerting the enemy to your whereabouts), it can become very ugly for you very quickly. And more enemies means more people waking up the people you have stunned. And the longer the battle, the more people that will wake up naturally. I've had some fierce battles that went to long and even with max intimidate skill, I'll still have some of them start waking up. Sometimes they will get a shot in on me.

I've gotten pretty skilled using stun arrows and honestly, that's pretty much all I use. I have 4 camps working on making 200 each so I can carry around 150 to 200 on my person normally. Well.. "skilled"... it's more that I have good production so I can use lots of the stun arrows and not worry about running out. But even on the edge of enemy territory, I've been caught not paying attention and had a patrol roll up and had to run. So far, I've been pretty lucky being able to draw that patrol away from the outpost and whittle it down. I've had to retreat quite a few times.

But I know I'm near the limit for stun arrows for this playthrough. Starting to limit and eat into the enemy territory where I'm getting 3 to 5 patrols around. It makes it fun as I have to try to take out a few patrols first.

Honestly, I think eventually I'll have to switch to what I think may be a more powerful method of using toxic arrows to support warriors attacking. Putting enemies to sleep while your warriors are attacking them sounds like it's going to be a winner.... Well at least it feels like it might be a powerful "karma-neutral" method.

i tend to use sneak behind, if it gets hairy a few quick stun arrows can calm down things instantly in an area if it doesn't get too messy. if the whole settlement (and possibly some patrol) turns on me i dash away, switch to regular arrows and use any cover to kill a few off to thin the numbers and get some distance, then revert back to stealth and flank them and either pick off groups left isolated, or return to the settlement and start sneaking on backs again. on big groups a small killing spree speeds things up quite a bit and the final intimidations bring usually karma back to "employee of the month" level.

stunning them with predators around is nice too :D

but the king of skills for me is concentration. it's very cool to use and gives a huge edge, even makes it possible to fight a group in full gallop which is quite thrilling ... until your horse drops dead, that is. :D 

• Like 1