Game-Labs Forum

Development plans update - Second Half of 2019

17 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

You think you can trust this AI to do anything competently? i cant wait for this to land and laugh my tits off, unfortunately this natural progression will seem like an infuriating regression.

Belongs in a single player game.

• Like 4

NPC Aggression (both in the world and in RVR)

how about a trader brig attacked by a mercury or a navy brig 10 times in one run (in vp  waters - i suddenly see the use of it ) 

if the noobies are not killed by players the AI will take care of it.

i just don't see the point of having this 

what must i say to my new noobs..... just sail out in a trader brig, earn some money for a start ...... and get a ....surprise  ?

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thonys said:

NPC Aggression (both in the world and in RVR)

how about a trader brig attacked by a mercury or a navy brig 10 times in one run (in vp  waters - i suddenly see the use of it ) 

if the noobies are not killed by players the AI will take care of it.

When has trading ever involved sailing through enemy territory? You do deliver missions to and from your own ports.
And here's an idea, when in enemy territory, don't sail blindly into the enemy?
In other MMO's if you pull 10 mobs, you're the idiot.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Koveras said:

If people want their homewaters safe - they should go out and make them safe. If ppl want to do PvE - go to the PvE server.

It's not either/or. We have AI ships. If this was a pure PVP server there would be no AI at all. Other MMO's, their AI have aggressive behavior. It's interesting and plays into the dynamic. I would argue if you wanted another nations home waters to be vulnerable to attack, go there and destroy the AI defenders surround it.

Edited by Slim McSauce

17 minutes ago, Koveras said:

What happened was that ppl stopped leaving ports because they didn't want to fight the dumb ai. The devs can't make an effective ai so rather than doing it right, they give it magic buffs. PvP on a PvP server has to be possible without having to deal with AI, As things stand u have the option to do PvE on the PvP server, but you're not forced to do so.

What is hostility? PVE has always been a big part of the experience. This is an upgrade to the AI. You don't want dumb AI anymore? This is the update that makes AI semi-smart and player-like. What's next? Combat model update. So don't go thinking all is the same as it was 3 years ago.

Edited by Slim McSauce

15 hours ago, H982 FKL said:

nope, it could make the already large clans even more powerful with the ability to pool ships

Limit it to 5 ships to allow crafters to stock for players that aren't online when they are.  Really lets be honest before wipe I had over 120 ships on my chars so your not going to stop big clans from having pools of ships,  About a dozen of those ships where 1st rates.  I had no shortage of ships.  Even now I don't have shortage just limits on crew and what I currently can craft, but I can still crap load ships stocked up and that just me one player with alts.

15 hours ago, Koveras said:

Why force PvE in a PvP server? Why not just keep the reinforcementzones and see the pop drop?

Because you are not on a PvP only server, you are on a PvE server with elements of PvP allowed.  

15 hours ago, Quiet Assassin said:

The trading system is broken. There's no reason to buy/sell goods, when you can just pick up a mission load for free (no risk) in a junk T. Brig (no risk) and deliver it for far more than the profit on trade goods/resources. Why would anyone ever trade goods now?

It's not broken, just that one is more profitable cause you loose nothing doesn't mean the other isn't.  I make 50% profits every time I fill my ships with goods cause I have extra cargo space and no delivery missions to fill it up.   That is still a dang good profit and that is short trips not longer ones where I can make even more profits.

2 minutes ago, Mrgoldstein said:

This is not an updatr that makes the AI smarter, its still the same dumb buffed AI..

It will only make the game more annoying, you are out of playing time and want to leave? Oi wait here is an AI surprise that decides to start chasing you, you are waiting in the zone for some pvp? Oh wait you got tagged by a AI bellona..yeah so much fun

If that was a player you still won't leave, so maybe don't be in enemy waters and maybe be more aware of your surroundings.  War server is not a PvP only server.   The only thing is it allows us to have PvP with other players while Peace server is a PvE only server.  Ya'll need to get it out of your head that the War server is a PvP only server cause it is not and never has been one.  Very few folks actually level up by nothing but PvP, most of us have to do some sort of PvE grinding, a lot of us have to do mostly only PvE grinding to level up.  The game is about the majority, not the minority few.  You don't want to get hit by an agresive AI than don't go hunting in those waters they might be in or make sure you leave plenty early to not be tagged by AI.

Any news on a new boarding system or wind strengths? I wonder if this is included in battle sail mechanics?

I like all the changes otherwise. As long as the AI is more of a defensive ai around capitals. Perhaps ports could be upgraded by nations eith ai fleets where port bonuses are. But certainly most of the map cannot be ai controlled. But very good to see that the ai fleet should give pause to seal clubbers around capitals.

Also with regard to port bonuses. Small clans should also be able to get bonuses I think. My only worry about individuals getting bonuses would be spies farming them and trading them to other nations? Or am I being paranoid. I guess thats why currently only the port capturer and his 15 clan friends list can benefit. On second thought are the bonuses that game changing or is it that large clans need them to fight other large clans?

I am looking forward to paint and crew experience systems. This is going to be grand especially if you can choose what number of what trades are on each ship.

promoting and switching officers between ships will also be really cool if that is to happen.

I also wonder if we will be able to see equipped figureheads in 3d tactical battles soon?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

What is hostility? PVE has always been a big part of the experience. This is an upgrade to the AI. You don't want dumb AI anymore? This is the update that makes AI semi-smart and player-like. What's next? Combat model update. So don't go thinking all is the same as it was 3 years ago.

Ok hands up all those that love raising hostility as a hobby?

• Like 1

npc aggression as it was at start of open world was easily bearable and made the game much more interesting, keeping players alert and checking the various ships in the vicinity to see if they had to stay clear from some ships, unless they were looking for a fight.

It came along with a npc reinforcement mechanic that was also interesting and could create entertaining changes of situation during a battle.

And as npc wouldn't target only players, but also other npc, it could create interesting battles a player could join if so inclined it was possible to enter a fight of npc SOL vs SOL with any ship, and participate or try to stay clear to observe the fight. In fact, as you could never know if a given battle involved players or only npc, there was a kind of surprise element when entering any battle not knowing what you would find inside, unless you had seen the battle start.

It made the game lively, and the loss of these features was a great disapointment. If the return of npc aggro is along the same lines, it can only make the game more interesting.

Edited by hoarmurath
  • Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:00 PM, Celtiberofrog said:

Every Maintenance the map show several circles where "hunting pirate patrols" have been spotted.

These AI's are aggressive excellent ships of all class with marines, etc... (like the one with small skull sign).

They hunt any fleet the closest in its circle zone.

If you sink one of those AI's you get very good rewards.

The more circle in the map the more it would push new captains for good fighting training and get important rewards (with low class ships too).

Hopefuly not dropped in the map too close of coastal trading routs !   

In war server this type of multiple zones, (where to find agressive AI's for lucrative good training), would be interesting.

Any "peaceful" captain will double check his rout and avoid these areas if he wants.

These "dangerous zones" will surely add difficulty for PVP and PB's but it may be interesting for global gameplay.  

• Like 1

any news on the Trade system?

or trade update ?

the reason for the Age of Sail to exist in the first place is...... TRADE., not destructive WAR 

we only have missions at them moment , but is that the final replacement for doing trade ?

many answers needs to be given before anyone sees the big picture with the new road map.  and i don't see it anymore. it's a road map on existing features.

and some small new features where we do not understand the impact of.

i still see    bleu     screens.. remnants of the past .... 

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

When has trading ever involved sailing through enemy territory? You do deliver missions to and from your own ports.
And here's an idea, when in enemy territory, don't sail blindly into the enemy?
In other MMO's if you pull 10 mobs, you're the idiot.

what do you mean exactly by " you re the idiot"

all i am saying is i am disappointed in the road what  is followed at the moment.

also we see no explanation how it will work for players.

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Thonys said:

what do you mean exactly by " you re the idiot"

all i am saying is i am disappointed in the road what  is followed at the moment.

also we see no explanation how it will work for players.

Spot on.  There has never been a vision.  Always the same, players having to constantly guess, for years now.  Just more groping in the dark.  Lazy.

Can we at least be told, what is the goal of aggressive AI?

Edited by Papillon

On 7/17/2019 at 1:51 PM, admin said:

Hello Captains

We would like to share the development plans for the second half of 2019

Content updates will be provided with less frequency as they will require more testing due to live status of the game.

content update 1: Treacherous waters - Traditional update with 2-3 patches

• Raids on ports - dangerous argument. Need a topic itself . the principles have to be that Raids cannot be an Advantage for only big clans/nation or small clan/nation neither only for attakers or defenders....the only target of Raid Mechanics should be the loot and speed of action.  clearly, attackers must have more difficulties
  • NPC Aggression (both in the world and in RVR) oh God...no please, not again as in 2015...a lot of wasted gameplay time for useless battles. it was already abused in the past and now , with changed game in the years, can be abused again with far more damages on player base
  • Massive Painter DLC and looted Paint Chest update. 
  • Final localization update including additions of some approved community translation to game client

content update 2: Unfinished business (continuous updates)

• Combat model update and improvements (including proper battle sails mechanics) STOP!!! you already changed too much the combat model. damage HP patch immediatly nerfed after 1 month on testbed server due to player complainin about their 5th rate tha cannot anymore survive a single 1st rate broadside...what a strange thing!!!!!!! and now you raised HP of ships to compensate the damages of the guns...so we are near back to pre-pacth situation.
  • reduce HP of ships...bring back the 1st damage patch of testbed server
  • improve wind power (strong wind can damage 5th rate masts meanwhile gives top speed to 1-3rd rate ships, soft wind let 5th rate go fast and 1-3rd rates go at the top speed of 3-4 kn...wind forecast in the OW bring more strategical decision by the players on which ships use to go out hunting
  • More variety in upgrades, loot and books
  • ROE update for patrols
  • BRING BACK STORM BATTLE ISTANCE- we are no more in SeaTrials where we had had to fight in Storm istance, now in OW we can choose to sail out of a storm (so , if tagged, the istance is calm sea like now) or to sail inside risking to get tagged (so storm battle istance).  if you improve also ''Wind Power'', Storm battle will become a really competitive istance due to the risk of capsize or getting demasted by wind power if sails are not properly choosen (battle sails o slow death for example). you have time to rework the code of storm istance so think about that, please

content update 3: Welcome to the Caribbean - Seasonal update

• New player experience missions and improvements
  • Low cost limited content edition (a-la wow lvl 20 trial)

content update 4: Chatham Chest - Seasonal update

• New progression system (including for crew)
  • Veteran ranks
  • Perk system revamp and improvements
  • Update to knowledge and book systems

Content update 1 will be delivered first.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

It's not broken, just that one is more profitable cause you loose nothing doesn't mean the other isn't.  I make 50% profits every time I fill my ships with goods cause I have extra cargo space and no delivery missions to fill it up.   That is still a dang good profit and that is short trips not longer ones where I can make even more profits.

I do agree with you mostly but this, no way. 

It is plain stupid to spend 1 million reals for hauling cargo for a profit of 500k reals. On that trip you may lose your 1 million plus your indiaman-s

Instead you haul stupid cargo missions with stupid tbrigs, you make 500k reals, only risk losing 10k worth tbrigs, and you also earn dubloons. 

Yes you can make indiaman runs, with 4 million spent, for 2 million profit, but the risk, and more time is spent on that cargo run, increasing the risk. 

• Like 2

If we are getting aggressive AI... can something at least be done about their overpowered damage and HP bonuses? Could they actually have the stats of the ship they actually are sailing? Give them skill books according to the rank of their captain, modules according to their ship class and let them fight with their real stats same as any player. Same in boarding, and please make AI have to manage crew. Marines should be on some AI, randomly, and they should have the penalties for having them as well as the benefits like any player would too. There's no need for every AI ship to behave like a floating woody terminator, please. We already have elites for extreme PVE challenge, and those need to be toned down too, give elites, the best of everything. Best wood, best modules, best books, max port bonuses but no magic powers please. 

• Like 2

Guys,

you know that aggressive AI will kill the rest of the trading System (Trade and Transport missions). You normally need small traders to sneak into foreign ports.

If that will come you maybe outmanouvering enemy players but then you will surely fail to evade aggressive AI-ships!

All single players, members of weak Clans/weak nations need this source of income….

I again wondering, why their are so few critical posts to that plan. The most are shout hurrah. Are only members of big clans and of strong nations present, who are not interested in a healthy player Population ????

51 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

I do agree with you mostly but this, no way. 

It is plain stupid to spend 1 million reals for hauling cargo for a profit of 500k reals. On that trip you may lose your 1 million plus your indiaman-s

Instead you haul stupid cargo missions with stupid tbrigs, you make 500k reals, only risk losing 10k worth tbrigs, and you also earn dubloons. 

Yes you can make indiaman runs, with 4 million spent, for 2 million profit, but the risk, and more time is spent on that cargo run, increasing the risk. 

This is why I want these Cargo Delivery Missions to be tied to the ports we capture, and be required to keep these ports. The changes I propose are:

• First, make ports have a level of demand for Cargo Delivery Missions
    • Say Regional Capitals would demand 5-10 CDMs per week be delivered to them or they revolt
    • Say smaller ports would demand 2-5 CDMs per week or they revolt
    • The number of CDMs would be based on the number of Investments at that port (i.e. Forts, Towers, Production Buildings, Clan Warehouses, etc.)
    • The Port Owner is the one responsible for fulfilling these CDMs, but based on Clan Friend List those clans can help
  • On making Cargo Delivery Missions required to keep captured ports
    • Make availability of each CDM last for only 5 days or 1 week...something short, but if not taken, then it resets for the next week (kind of like the Weekly Challenges reset)
    • If too many CDMs are ignored and not delivered (say 45% or so for that week), then those ports could revolt and return to Neutral by virtue of an open-to-all-nations PB
  • Weekly required CDMs from Nation's Capital to Regional Capitals
    • For nations that don't have a National Capital, they must find Cargo Missions in Free Ports or Raid for them (stealing CDMs from other ports)
  • CDMs from Regional Capitals to smaller ports (if that smaller port is captured already)

These listed above would be required to keep these ports; below are the profitable ones

• Have Cargo Delivery Missions from smaller ports back to Regional Capital and to Nation Capital
    • These CDMs would be available ONLY if the port has been receiving supply shipments regularly
    • These CDMs would also be demanded by the Regional Capitals and could revolt
    • These CDMs would be loaded with what the port naturally produces
    • And lastly, these CDMs would have the option to deliver them to other Nation ports from a list of ports wanting these items..these would be the most profitable CDMs
  • Like 2