Game-Labs Forum

Development plans update - Second Half of 2019

For player retention you should look to missions that award XP on top of the Battle XP, new players get stuck in a slump that is the grind. Battle XP is rewarded on DMG, assists and kills but sometimes when sailing as a group (this game is better with friends and/or clanmates and new players should find clans via a in game clan board) new players are still learning the ships and honing their in battle skill's. So maybe adding missions that players can claim to go do as a group or solo to cut the grind down a bit. This is a solution that can benefit the community as a whole. 

BTW I have 400 hours in game since release and I'm still grinding to Max LVL, I'm at 700 ATM, to be fair I'm not always in battle, trade missions to make money and craft ships takes up most of the time. 

Just a thought to consider

• Like 2

On thing that would be nice is to gain XP from getting away from a fight. I had 4 battles against the same group chasing me back to port while sailing a mortar brig vs 5 russians. They eventually caught me and sank me but not until after 2 hours of pursuit...and i got 17 experience for it.

6 hours ago, Raekur said:

On thing that would be nice is to gain XP from getting away from a fight. I had 4 battles against the same group chasing me back to port while sailing a mortar brig vs 5 russians. They eventually caught me and sank me but not until after 2 hours of pursuit...and i got 17 experience for it.

I’m sympathetic to this, and intuitively it would make sense to potentially be rewarded for eluding a superior opponent... but it would be outrageously easy to exploit. What would keep a player with an alt in a first rate from tagging himself repeatedly and running away repeatedly at literally no cost, racking up rewards without it even hitting combat news?

Automatic tow to nearest port after every battle. More emphasis on initial tags instead of repeated ones aimed at delaying for reinforcement. It's already unrealistic that after sails hundreds of km in battle you're let out in the exact same spot you were tagged in. Though from a realism standpoint tow to port doesn't quite hit the mark, its certainly more efficient from a design standpoint to get players to commit entirely on a single tag. There's already in incongruency where a ship can be faster in battle, but slower on OW which causes a lot of problems.

In my opinion there is no ideal to be reached, this iteration of Naval Action cannot be made to work to a degree that is satisfactory because the engine wasn't designed
with Over World initially in mind. NA was designed as an Arena game first and foremost and it shows with how incompatible the two instances are. Lots to learn for the successors to not make the same mistake, but as for MMO's this has been one of the better ones despite it's flaws.

Don't consider me writing anything off, but know that all good things come to an end.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 2

On 11/1/2019 at 8:05 AM, Slim McSauce said:

Automatic tow to nearest port after every battle. More emphasis on initial tags instead of repeated ones aimed at delaying for reinforcement. It's already unrealistic that after sails hundreds of km in battle you're let out in the exact same spot you were tagged in. Though from a realism standpoint tow to port doesn't quite hit the mark, its certainly more efficient from a design standpoint to get players to commit entirely on a single tag. There's already in incongruency where a ship can be faster in battle, but slower on OW which causes a lot of problems.

In my opinion there is no ideal to be reached, this iteration of Naval Action cannot be made to work to a degree that is satisfactory because the engine wasn't designed
with Over World initially in mind. NA was designed as an Arena game first and foremost and it shows with how incompatible the two instances are. Lots to learn for the successors to not make the same mistake, but as for MMO's this has been one of the better ones despite it's flaws.

Don't consider me writing anything off, but know that all good things come to an end.

This is a great idea. Not realistic for sure,  but players should not be forced to play for endless hours just cause some other felt like tagging them over and over and over, in consecutive battles. One single battle can be more long enough for a gaming session for most players, plus the time it took to reach said battle in the first place. And as you said, the current system lacks realism too. 

I would add we should have a feature to tow a captured ship to the nearest port with an Outpost, for a price. Instead of having to waste a bunch of time sailing back with each ship you capture if you wanted to cap some NPC ships, for example. Or if you capped another player's ship but wanted to keep hunting in the area, specially if you had to sail for over 1 hour or more to get where you are from your nearest Outpost. 

Edited by Never
  • Like 2

I agree some of the changes are bad for the game as a whole.   I do see that there are trade goods that if you take the time to find them can make you money from port to port since reals got nerfed on the cargo and passenger missions.  In one case I found a 40 percent profit on a short run with goods but there were not enough in the ai stock to make the run worthwhile.

As for the reals and dub nerf for the cargo missions, you( the devs) forgot to take into consideration the distance traveled even with wind buffs.  

Being paid 7k to 50k reals to run 20 to 60 min into hostile enemy territory for a delivery is absurd.   Some sort of scale or distance runs needs to be in effect. The time even with buffs is not worth the 800 dubs to make the run.  Yes if you lose the ship and cargo it is a minor loss but time id worth much more to many players of the game.

So I suggest these changes.

Increase the amount of ai generated goods in ports to encourage real trade runs again that will increase profits and pvp.

Make long runs worthwhile again by scaling the reals and perhaps the dubs to higher amounts.

Reduce the clan missions resource stocks  from 50 to 100k max. If the mission is for 2k items make it 50k. if it is 5k items make it 100k.

If the population was much higher it would not matter but with such a low population the clan missions have not been depleted and moved to other ports as was intended.

The missions that I know about are still over half full of resources and have not moved since release.  Give other clans and people a chance to access these missions and fight for them.  At the moment 1 or 2 clans have had control over the most strategic clan missions for most of the post release game.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ferrus Pugnum said:

I agree some of the changes are bad for the game as a whole.   I do see that there are trade goods that if you take the time to find them can make you money from port to port since reals got nerfed on the cargo and passenger missions.  In one case I found a 40 percent profit on a short run with goods but there were not enough in the ai stock to make the run worthwhile.

As for the reals and dub nerf for the cargo missions, you( the devs) forgot to take into consideration the distance traveled even with wind buffs.  

Being paid 7k to 50k reals to run 20 to 60 min into hostile enemy territory for a delivery is absurd.   Some sort of scale or distance runs needs to be in effect. The time even with buffs is not worth the 800 dubs to make the run.  Yes if you lose the ship and cargo it is a minor loss but time id worth much more to many players of the game.

So I suggest these changes.

Increase the amount of ai generated goods in ports to encourage real trade runs again that will increase profits and pvp.

Make long runs worthwhile again by scaling the reals and perhaps the dubs to higher amounts.

Reduce the clan missions resource stocks  from 50 to 100k max. If the mission is for 2k items make it 50k. if it is 5k items make it 100k.

If the population was much higher it would not matter but with such a low population the clan missions have not been depleted and moved to other ports as was intended.

The missions that I know about are still over half full of resources and have not moved since release.  Give other clans and people a chance to access these missions and fight for them.  At the moment 1 or 2 clans have had control over the most strategic clan missions for most of the post release game.

It's funny players have to ask to change trade back to how it used to be and was actually working well during testing. Which for some reason was changed into something that doesn't work well at all and was never simply reverted back to how it was when it worked. 

I think the cargo missions are fine, they are meant for people that can't afford to do real trade. It's just that the actual trade system was changed and it never worked well again so 99% of players don't use it at all. 

Edited by Never
  • Like 2

I repeat myself, for the sake of crafters, and this includes the pvpers of the server, with the lowered dubs and reals in game currently, it is making the game a fulltime grind, eg:-shipyard lvl 3 3 mill real and 50k dubs, for traders and mid range pvpers, a near impossible task to build the buildings sufficient to supply 1st-3rd rate ships for the bigger battles, and for those of the pvp saying get gud, try it, try pvp against a 1st rate in a fifth and see how long you last solo.

the wind gust thing I don't have any problems with, just if you lower the rewards then plz consider lowering the building cost also to make it fair, or place the missions to how they were in the first instance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Knocking the weight of commodities down to 1/3 - 1/4 of what it is right now would do the trick. IMO that would fix everything all at once.

Can't fit enough stuff on your boat for it to make sense to trade goods, and the wind gusts don't help when you're doing short hop trade runs.

Seems like the wind icons + trade barrel nerf is all building up to a return of a profitable commodity trading update though... can't come soon enough.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 1:51 PM, admin said:

content update 2: Unfinished business (continuous updates)

• Combat model update and improvements (including proper battle sails mechanics)

Does it include the xebec and her lateen yards put horizontally (at Broad reach/Running) ?

pJFZhL9.jpg

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2019 at 5:51 AM, Capitalism said:

I’m sympathetic to this, and intuitively it would make sense to potentially be rewarded for eluding a superior opponent... but it would be outrageously easy to exploit. What would keep a player with an alt in a first rate from tagging himself repeatedly and running away repeatedly at literally no cost, racking up rewards without it even hitting combat news?

I wasnt thinking of a large amount but 1 xp per min would be nice reward for evading 5 to 1 odds. And considering how difficult it is now to even rank up a mortar brig every little bit helps. As far as someone in a SOL rate doing this, (i only have data for the first box for a Christian as a reference) the first box of a christian would take over 35 hours to open using this method.

On 7/18/2019 at 12:06 AM, H982 FKL said:

This NEEDS to be done right, it can really screw a lot of people over, especially solo hunters.

Do you also have plans to update the storm mechanics. Yesterday there was a storm at almost every free port at the same time. It meant sitting in port for 45 minutes waiting for it to pass to be able to hunt. Not fun

Sounds like a fantastic time to go trading

• Like 1

I wonder if developers can introduce more craftable and tradeable items to the game ?, old system was very good,or  at least introduce gold and silver mines to melt raw ore with coal and maybe iron to make reals and doublons? For example silver mine can produce ore worth100k-200k reals, and gold mine level 3 maybe 1000-2000 doublons worth gold ore?Then you will be able to hunt down silver or gold fleet of indiamans!

On 10/12/2019 at 4:32 PM, admin said:

Chinese invasion is under consideration.

We need to add the forum though for china on another software. as our and most western forum providers has blank bans in China .

Is discord banned in china?

Hello, administrator, I am the representative from the British DF clan. We are a clan composed entirely of Chinese. All the Chinese clans and we are very interested in adding china as a nation. We have a few questions to ask: First, Whether adding China to the game has been decided? Second, If it has been determined, what do we need to do to achieve it? Third, does China have a Capital? Thank you. Please reply.

• Like 3

not sure this is correct threat , but  can we have a 

Warehouse master ( DLC )

How to be a better warehouse leader is a great goal to have. As you may have guessed, leadership skills are highly prized in the workplace. This is especially true for those charged with managing or supervising warehouse workers, which can be a challenge even for experienced leaders.

adding :

15* selling slot contracts

15* buying slot contracts

5 port slots

3 ship slots (3 traderbrig in fleet for example)

reason :

.to make the most of the warehouse issues per port .

.overcome alts buying, and login alts issues at the same time. (especially the older guys  boys / girls with no boxie app)

.we have so much things to sell  to trade or to make a upgrade or building a ship  that game only give a fraction of those products

.to have access to the buyer (because of slot shortage, no trade possible )

.more trade fun.

.keep the trade industry going. 

* why 15 

instead of another number,   that is simple..... a alt is 10, 

it is cheaper to buy a warehouse master than  a alt

ps.... i want to buy 2 of those......  :)

it seems it is in the wrong section can iot be moved to the correct one  pls..

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Conte D. Catellani said:

Maybe the problem could be how to give them a capital and other towns, from which nation you will take it? the owners will have a compensation? Or maybe add the south america and the pacific ocean side so they could start from there.

Make china a hardcore nation like russia prussia and poland, that is if you want it added, all non historic caribbean powers/colony holders, should be hardcore imo is the fairest way to balance history and gameplay. 

• Like 1

I think only nations in game should be those historically present in Caribbean and AI only. All players should be pirates, sailing under their own flag, national,  like British pirates or French pirates, or any other more or less custom flag. 

• Like 3