Game-Labs Forum
Raithmore

Boarding Combat Strategy help

Posted (edited)

Hello Captains!

I am new returning to the game after a long hiatus from playing in pre-release.  I find that I am not performing as well as I would like in some instances of boarding combat and wondered if you could volunteer some basic strategy towards approaching boarding now that we cannot really see what the opponent is going to do each turn.  I have read and am familiar with the ‘rock paper scissors’ part of boarding commands.  I also would like to limit the discussion to boarding AI opponents to simplify the discussion since i play most often on PVE server.  

When you are boarding an opponent the first turn, do you basically fire deck guns first (and every turn it is available) and then just go attack?  Since you cannot see what your opponent is choosing, how do you decide when to fire muskets or grenades?  Do you just select brace anytime your prep gets low?  Is there anything more to it or is it really just sort of guessing each turn?

If some of the more experienced captains can describe their thought process for choosing each command when you are the attacking party, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your replies

Raithmore

Edited by Raithmore
  • Like 1

Basic rules the ai will only attack with more men then you and the ai will always defend if you start the round on attack. The ai will also not change its move if you do your move within a second or so of it picking its move. So a fairly simple strategy is to pull the ai into boarding start with an attack then switch to fire deck guns/muskets/grenades at the last second. If you do not have marines do this a few times until the other ships moral is cut down to like 50 or so then you can start to add attack in. So first round you would attack then switch to a firepower move last second. Then the next round wait for the ai to pick its move you will see its prep go down it will always pick a fire power move then you attack. If the enemy ship has good deck guns you may not want to attack if it has poor deck guns then you defiantly want to attack into it if it uses deck guns. Deck guns has a 3 turn cool down so you can use that to help know when they are using deck guns the ai likes to use it.

A secondary point positing in boarding is just as if not more important then boarding mods now that you can fire broadsides in boarding. You can fire broadsides using the [ and ] keys by default. So if you pull the ai so you are both broadside to broadside you can fire your cannons into it doing a ton of extra kills (the ai will not fire back). The best pull is a raking position this is more of a PVP thing as players will also fire back at you in boarding. But if you are able to pull a enemy ship with your own ship in a T position on their bow or best case stern. You will be able to rake the enemy ship in boarding. If you have already stripped their stern armor prior to boarding you can quite literally beat a ship with double your crew as your raking grape fire will kill most of their crew. Anyway past that its all about mod stacking and ship knowledge.

• Like 3

For PVE here's how it goes. The AI, if left to it's own devices will only every pick a. grenades or b. deck guns.
It will never throw muskets unless you pick muskets or grenades or deck guns.

AI is all about managing your prep. When it throws deck guns or grenades, you attack. You can immediately attack with still 8 seconds left, as long as you do it quickly the AI will never counter you, it will stick with it's move always. So when your attack carries over to the next turn like it always does, you may wait for the enemy to throw defend and immediately throw muskets. The other option is to immediately throw brace, then wait for it's deck guns/grenades and throw a last second attack, if you have enough prep.

That's it really. The method for boarding AI is pretty much completely solved. The only thing you have to worry about is 1. the number of top deck guns on the ship, it will determine the effect of the enemies deck guns move, may forcing you to start off only attacking into grenades, and 2. the crew and if elite AI, mods/marines on the ship making boarding MUCH harder stat on stat wise.

• Like 2

I agree to all of the above but would like to add a few points (based on experience fighting NPCs):

Try to reduce opponent’s crew before boarding. Reduce amour with ball shot to about 30 percent and then shift to grape to kill off crew. It takes a little practice in aiming since grape shots have different ballistics than ball shots.

Always attack when the enemy is in shock (symbolized with a red crew icon beneath the upper right display of enemy ship). An attack on a crew in shock will almost certainly lead to immediate victory.

On 7/16/2019 at 7:08 PM, Slim McSauce said:

For PVE here's how it goes. The AI, if left to it's own devices will only every pick a. grenades or b. deck guns.
It will never throw muskets unless you pick muskets or grenades or deck guns.

AI is all about managing your prep. When it throws deck guns or grenades, you attack. You can immediately attack with still 8 seconds left, as long as you do it quickly the AI will never counter you, it will stick with it's move always. So when your attack carries over to the next turn like it always does, you may wait for the enemy to throw defend and immediately throw muskets. The other option is to immediately throw brace, then wait for it's deck guns/grenades and throw a last second attack, if you have enough prep.

That's it really. The method for boarding AI is pretty much completely solved. The only thing you have to worry about is 1. the number of top deck guns on the ship, it will determine the effect of the enemies deck guns move, may forcing you to start off only attacking into grenades, and 2. the crew and if elite AI, mods/marines on the ship making boarding MUCH harder stat on stat wise.

OK one point I would like some clarification on... So when I select attack, I notice the AI’s melee goes up (so I assume he chooses defend).  So, as soon as the cool down on choosing another command passes, I then select deck guns... but then I notice the AI firepower goes up and he changed his command to respond to mine.  How do I time it so it doesn’t react to my command changing?  Do I change my command immediately after cool down expires OR do I wait until the last possible second in the turn to change my command?  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Raithmore said:

OK one point I would like some clarification on... So when I select attack, I notice the AI’s melee goes up (so I assume he chooses defend).  So, as soon as the cool down on choosing another command passes, I then select deck guns... but then I notice the AI firepower goes up and he changed his command to respond to mine.  How do I time it so it doesn’t react to my command changing?  Do I change my command immediately after cool down expires OR do I wait until the last possible second in the turn to change my command?  

Is this when the attack carries over from the previous round? You shouldn't be throwing attack except for a reaction to what the AI throws. If the AI throws grenades and your immediately throw attack, in which case the AI won't change to defend, and that attack from that round carries over to the next, and THEN the AI responds with defend, in which you can immediately change to muskets or deck guns and the AI in most cases will not change due to prep. The time in this case to throw an attack after an AI throws his own move is around 3 seconds. If you have to wait for a timer on your attack, then you're doing something wrong. It should be immediately after the AI throws his move unless it's a carry over attack, in that very case you can either keep your attack and let the AI respond with defend, then switch, or immediately brace and let the AI throw his grenades/deck guns, to save prep.

Round 1: (player)wait...(AI)grenades/deck guns  (playerimmediate)attack....timer counts down with no AI change
Round 2:(Player)attack carries over from previous round, wait........(AI)responds with defense (player)may immediately respond with muskets/deckguns.
Alternate round 2(Player)attack carries over, immediate switch to brace (AI)will throw his usual grenade/deck gun move.

Edited by Slim McSauce