Game-Labs Forum

RVR Diplomacy and war declaration

Poryv

na4.thumb.png.aff9c175167f007bcafec256ac34dcdb.png

Open Forum Diplomacy needs to come back as part of RVR!

Both RVR sides should communicate to each other about their gaols, what they intend, what is the impact etc etc in a declaration of war. And this is how it goes:

Before or while attacking a region, someone on behalf of attacking clans do a formal war declaration here in forums. The info should include, what Clans and Nations will take part,

and most important, what goals do the attacker have, for example:

•  We take region A, B, C
  •  We demand you to stop reinforcing enemy screen fleet elsewhere
  •  We demand tribute
  •  We deman you to open/close certain ports
  •  Total anihilation: we will attack as long as we like

The attacker should mention what happens after the goals are achieved e.g. how long the RVR cease fire will be, etc.

Someone on behalf of attacked clans responds immediately or later during the war:

• taking region C will threaten the population of our nation e.g. because of main crafting port area
  • we will defend/not defend region A, B, C (avoiding empty port battles)
  • we will use/not use the legal mechanic of changing timers
  • we will take region A, B, C from the attacker
  • we will demand reparations

In the same Thread other clans could state, if they will help to any side.

As it is of course hard to foresee how battles will impact on the participants, both sides, inform each other in the same thread about changes, ability to attack and defend. They can use their first Post, so it dont get lost because a lot of other people will comment with bullshit. I also will request elsewhere, that Thread creators should get the ability to open and close their threads, so a thread stays clear of trolling

Why should someone do it anyway?

• if one side dont communicate, it leads to speculations

Advantages for both sides:

• no unfounded "A want destroy B" accusations
  • less empty portbattles and boredom
  • statements of participiants don´t get lost in other forum threads
  • less players leave game/nation to early or at all, because they think they are doomed
  • bigger propability that a loosing nation can recover
  • more clearity about who is with whom
  • clarity about everything and less forum drama and bullshit

Disadvantages:

Please tell me, what should be added and i eventually will add stuff by marking it in another colour.

Edited by Poryv
  • Like 6

A classic declaration of war throughout the grand age of sail can be summed in game terms:

(...) "to subdue, seize and make prize of all vessels, goods and effects belonging to the (enemy nation), or his subjects...and to cause to be done all such other acts of precaution or hostility as the state of war will justify, and may, in his opinion, require. The (nation council) also has the authority to grant special commissions to private armed vessels of the (smaller clans in nation) to permit them to lawfully subdue and seize "any (enemy nation) vessel, goods or effects with the same authority as (the major clans in nation) (...)

There was never a distinction between warships and trade vessels.

And yes, more RP needed. I miss the periodic "newspapers" many used to publish.

• Like 2

We discussed in swedish council wether we make war declarations if we attack ports of other nations.

The decision was very clear:  We will not use a formaly and official declaration of war. We were attacked in the past without such declarations, so we will do our actions suitably to the target we have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hethwill said:

I miss the periodic "newspapers" many used to publish.

It was either Admin or Ink who said they were considering having some form of National Newspapers section included in the Forum. This would be where all battle news and port battle news would be posted for each Nation. 

In other words, each Nation would have a National Newspaper on the Forum that would reflect the spirit of the times.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Spikes said:

Why would anyone want to share that information?

•  no unfounded "Nation A want destroy Nation B" accusations
  • less empty portbattles and boredom
  • statements of participiants don´t get lost in other forum threads
  • less players leave game/nation to early or at all, because they think they are doomed
  • bigger propability that a loosing nation can recover
  • more clearity about who is with whom
  • clarity about everything and less forum drama and bullshit
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Poryv said:

clarity about everything and less forum drama and bullshit

While I really appreciate your honorable attempt to moderate, I am very sceptical about this one. You might achieve the exact opposite of what you plan.