Game-Labs Forum
Sir "The Lorax" John

US Brig Niagara

Hello all

Today I mean to humbly present a few pictures i have taken aboard Niagara this past week (and those I will take in the coming week) for any who might enjoy them.  I found Niagara on this forum thanks to a post from someone who had completed the same program I am now taking part in - I therefore hope to inspire more people to take to the sea as I was inspired.  I will attempt to keep my descriptions as brief as possible...

Also, after watching Surcouf's splendid Hermione thread for so long, I couldn't help myself 😀

If anyone finds these pictures useful, just shoot me a message and I'll send you a higher-res copy - I'm fine with anyone using these, just let me know :)

-   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -      -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   BUFFALO   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -      -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   

DSC07642.JPG 

Pride of Baltimore, docked astern of Niagara for the Buffalo tallships festival

-   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -      -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   JULY 10   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -      -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   

DSC07705.JPG

At anchor off Buffalo, early the morning of the 10th

DSC07723.JPG

DSC07716.JPG 

From the fore crosstrees, around 5 bells in the forenoon, en route to Cleveland

DJI_0112.jpg

DJI_0126.jpg 

Becalmed en route to Cleveland OH late in the afternoon of July 10th (ran into some technical difficulties uploading these ones, they may be a bit green now :))

DSC07744.JPG

Late that day, Pride of Baltimore (our 'prize') hull-down from just beneath the fore crosstrees

-   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -      -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   JULY 11   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -      -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   

DSC07831.JPG 

DSC07820.JPG?width=933&height=525 

Calm weather led to extraordinarily clear stargazing - I had the middle watch the morning of the 11th

DSC07836.JPG 

Wind returned back before I regained the deck in the afternoon

DSC07842.JPG 

Taken at the same time as the previous image, Pride (our 'prize') was now hull-down from the deck, but flying away to windward

DSC07879.JPG

The day progresses and the storm foretold by our barometer and the day's calm approaches...

DSC07883.JPG 

DSC07940.JPG 

Wonderful views of Pride as we approach the storm

DSC07975.JPG 

Almost upon us...

-   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -      -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   JULY 12   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -      -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   

The morning of the 12th brought experiences I will never forget... I made my first passage around the futtock shrouds (as opposed to passing through the lubber's hole) with lightning flashing off both beams and seas rapidly increasing... climbing to take in the main topgallant to ride out the storm

None of my pictures of this incredible experience came out, so I will keep them private until I try to coax something out using photoshop back at home.  

DSC08026.JPG 

Niagara flying along during the Cleveland parade of sail, some hours after the storm had passed to the north

-   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -      -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   CLEVELAND   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -      -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   

DSC08060.JPG 

Pride in the foreground - then Empire Sandy, Fair Jeanne, Picton Castle, Bluenose, and Niagara.  HMCS Oriole is just behind the buildings.

Tomorrow in the am we will leave Cleveland and begin racing towards Bay City (actually racing the other tall ships part of the way,) having tuned the royal masts and the flying jibboom in preparation these past few days.

In any case, I hope some have enjoyed my pictures from the last week aboard Niagara :) thanks for scrolling through

• Like 27

As a sailor in the middle of Europe this makes me jealous.:P Thx for the pics, looks great.

• Like 1

These are tremendous shots Sir John.

I do enjoy immensely the "eyes on the horizon" ones. 

• Like 1

Your pictures are beautiful!!!!! Are you a sailor on this brig?

Thank you so much for sharing these, you'll have to tell me all about it on the discord sometime.

Awesome shots! I always wanted to sail on the Niagara. I have been onboard and years ago took some photos from our maintop (Kalmar Nyckel) in a parade of sail though NY harbor. 

On 7/15/2019 at 6:36 AM, Pada said:

As a sailor in the middle of Europe this makes me jealous.:P Thx for the pics, looks great.

On 7/15/2019 at 6:58 AM, Hethwill said:

These are tremendous shots Sir John.

I do enjoy immensely the "eyes on the horizon" ones. 

On 7/15/2019 at 7:31 AM, Slim McSauce said:

Living the dream you are, good sir.

Thank you gents for the love!

On 7/15/2019 at 7:41 AM, Surcouf said:

Your pictures are beautiful!!!!! Are you a sailor on this brig?

Thank you!  I am not a member of the professional crew - this is my first voyage aboard Niagara.  I am aboard as an apprentice, learning more about tall-ship sailing :) perhaps someday...

On 7/15/2019 at 11:06 AM, Fluffy Fishy said:

Thank you so much for sharing these, you'll have to tell me all about it on the discord sometime.

Certainly!

9 hours ago, DeRuyter said:

Awesome shots! I always wanted to sail on the Niagara. I have been onboard and years ago took some photos from our maintop (Kalmar Nyckel) in a parade of sail though NY harbor. 

Thank you!  Kalmar Nyckel looks like a beautiful ship.  I would love to sign up for a day sail, if I'm ever over your way!

Last batch of July pictures incoming now that we are tucked into Bay City...

• Like 1