Game-Labs Forum

Bow figures should be the most important upgrade

But at present they’re the most useless upgrades.

Bow figureheads should define the ship character, its battle trait, its purpose, as it was in the age of sail for the morale of the ship, placing the bow figure should be a defining moment of that ship life and one upgrade that you would not necessary remove again.

But they’re so useless now that they get replaced as soon as a better upgrades is available and is now only consider as a secondary low grade upgrade (my opinion obviously). 

So I suggest that these bow figureheads be given a boost to suit their importance but also to keep balance, all other corresponding upgrades and there stats to be reduced in value.

e.g. Gazelle to be boosted to 3.4 but all other speed mods reduced by 0.6 (with a min stat of 1.25-1.75) , 0.6 because that’s the stat total increase or difference in increase, divided over 4 other slots.

Ditto for most other bow figureheads.

Edited by Guest

I'm not a fan of the current mod system. I think officers should come back and replace books. It should work like commanders do in Total War, or even Gamelabs RTS games where the generals gain ancillaries for their actions based on certain aspects. Like an gunnery officer with a "keen eye" ancillary gains 3% horizontal accuracy to his crew. Helmsman with "Strong arm" ancillary grants rudder turn speed +0.05. One officer for each aspect of the ship including carpenter and marines. Assigned when the ship is built,  you always have 5 officers. Each officer has a potential of 5 ancillaries gained through experience. The ancillaries/traits could be completely RNG and it would a blast only having to do a handful of battles to see your officers improve and gain interesting traits. Much better than grinding for months for knowledge slots, that are permanent, the officers traits would last until he dies which would be in certain situations where you take a lot of damage and are close to sinking. An injured officer would have higher chance of getting killed in a battle, so that would make people think is it worth it pushing my luck and risk losing my favorite men? Surrendering would ensure the safety of all remaining officers, which would automatically go back to your nearest outpost (but most be fully healed before returning to service) and being able to be assigned to a new ship (only of the same type). Something like that.

• Like 3

@Slim McSauce your "officers" is a fantastic idea but only if Admin stays on project for years to come.

Back to today world! I kinda think that bow figureheads where an easy target for Admin to strip of stats for balance but I think they should have kept there viability.

Edited by Guest

i would even say that each book or upgrade should have its specific BR that counts atop of the "Basic" BR of the ship.

Say you have the basics on 0 BR, Commons 2 BR, Rares 4, Epics 8, Legendary 15.

Option 1) Gold Wasa 400BR 5/5

You slap on 5 Legendary Upgrades and use 5 Legendary/ High tier books. This increases to total BR by 200

So you will now have a Wasa worth 550BR

Option 2) Blue Wasa 400BR 3/5

Slap on 1 Legendary upgrade, 2 Rares, 2 Legendary books, 2 Epic books, 1 Basic.

So the Wasa has a total BR worth 465BR.

Almost 100 BR beneath the other wasa because maybe the player doesent have yet the best items available ingame, or that it suits the ship better for a player using alot of maybe basic and common repair mods/books because he wants to focus on repairing, while the other guy on 550BR has the best books/mods in all slots.

I believe this is fair and would even balance the mods out.

Yes Bow Figures should define the ship and they should be the only upgrade other than the woods used!

As more people are using port bonus ships the quality and fun in PVP is diminishing fast not only their performance but in the speed they can rep. Battles seem more like the kind of ridiculous fantasy pew pew in ED now rather than anything that reflects age of sail. 

Edited by Mad Dog Morgan
  • Like 4