Game-Labs Forum

HMS Ajax (British Frigate with plans)

Ned Loe

HMS Ajax

The HMS Ajax was a British Frigate, built in 1765 and refitted in 1805 to serve in Admiral Horatio Nelson's fleet. Ajax was 135 feet long and had a crew of 250. She carried 18 24-pounders and 9 12-pounders.

Ajax.jpeg

Ajax.jpg

Plans:

eP40Fw0.jpg?1

jPdPYOx.jpg?1

• Like 2

Plans are slightly modified from the ones drawn up by chapman that were used to make the original generic frigate already in game.

If you can not give prove on this I say: Nope!

The frigate we had is a modification of the frigate "HMS Diana". She is not been seen for a year or so. She was an early prototype for the devs to work with.

We have the Trincomalee, Constitution wich are clearly not Chapman designs ;)

Please don t be so aggressiv

Please don t be so aggressiv

fair enough, I took it to be aggression for aggression- though i probably shouldve de-escalated instead. But I did not set out to start a fight, I merely wish to discourage any possibility of building a non-historical ship as such. I've generally found that plans from model kits must be viewed cautiously, some companies have a habit of seizing upon any plans they find and trying to match them to a story-or if they can't, they make up their own.

For the record, I see nothing wrong with the standard frigate Ingame, it was designed during the 18th century by an excellent shipwright, and there is every reason to believe she would've been a fine ship.

I found that same set of plans off one of the websites in the resource pinned thread.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have a hull line drawing, showing the ribs of the ship.  I have made some ship models before, and the only way to make this ship would be to substitute another ship's hull, or just make your own hull by eye and guess what it should look like.

To be honest, in that case it would actually be simpler to just make a different ship.

I found that same set of plans off one of the websites in the resource pinned thread.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have a hull line drawing, showing the ribs of the ship.  I have made some ship models before, and the only way to make this ship would be to substitute another ship's hull, or just make your own hull by eye and guess what it should look like.

To be honest, in that case it would actually be simpler to just make a different ship.

We have this ship already (currently removed from game for performance optimization and reworking).

As Captain Armstrong said, its a Chapman design (linked below) with a fictitious backstory and British style stern gallery.

• Like 1

We have this ship already (currently removed from game for performance optimization and reworking).

As Captain Armstrong said, its a Chapman design (linked below) with a fictitious backstory and British style stern gallery.

Ok, but the point of my post wasn't about this ship specifically.  I was hoping to let people know that when it comes to making 3D models of a ship the main thing a guy would need are the engineering style blueprints of the hull ribs and side view (also know as a line drawing), and then a yardarm/mast plan views are the primary thing I look for.

Too often I see enthusiastic people post a metric ton of pictures of a model ship, probably under the belief that is all a 3D art guy would need.  I end up feeling bad for the guy who went to that effort.  I assume the guy probably thinks he did well, but the reality is that line drawings are what count most.

• Like 2