Game-Labs Forum

DLC ships and port bonuses

I for one also praise the implementation of p2w mechanics in my retail priced games.
I'm glad the cosmetic paint DLC is still half unfinished despite being months since eta.
I'm OK with being able to pay for the advantage. I like the option to bypass the ship economy.
I have little time for MMOs. Don't ask me why I play them.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

I for one also praise the implementation of p2w mechanics in my retail priced games.
I'm glad the cosmetic paint DLC is still half unfinished despite being months since eta.
I'm OK with being able to pay for the advantage. I like the option to bypass the open world MMO part of the game.

The sarcasm is Real. Love it

6 hours ago, Barbarosa said:

So developers admit that the game is gear based instead of skill based now?

You can't sell skill, you can sell gear.

I bet the game will be free to play soon with p2w shop. Started to believe that they intentionally create imbalances to open gaps for current and possible DLC sales.
Soon we will understand what happened to Santa Cecilia and Diana

Almost everybody complain about ridiculous port bonuses and instead of fixing it, they break the game even more...

The game (like most MMOs) has always been gear based since it left Sea Trials and entered OW, there really isn't anything they need to 'admit now'. The ships had different stats from day 1 in OW.

It feels like you also seem to misjudge the strength of the DLC ships. Hercules could use a nerf, or better have a crafted counterpart added, but how about I gift you the Hermione to your Steam account and see how much p2w that is? (I really mean it).
So far the DLC lineup is: Hercules: slightly op (mostly due to a lack of other shallow water vessels with 32pd nades), Hermione: total dog, and more importantly because its a two decke 4th rater: Rattvisan: well balanced, Agamemnon is slightly better overall. This is a far cry from pay to win.

• Like 2

No one really said p2w in stats, (even if you forgot le Requin) 

But p2w as paying $ for unlimited free acces to "rare woods" trim and now ports bonus + bypass the shipyard & productions costs..

When people having paid full price for the game have to face increased building costs, + rely on rng for now hidden permits for quite a number of ships + broken eco + admin telling oak oak ships are viable as the game is not gear based.

• Like 2

real p2w is buying ALT account, having  more than 5 building slots, more than 3k labour hours, more than 30 docks slots, mor than 15 vic mark a week....many player have 4-5 ALT

this is the real p2w, even if a main account buy the admiralty DLC...the labour cap is still 3k hours and with a single ALT you have 6k and 60 ships slots....i know there are player (now in russian nation) with more than 10 ALT...

how can you think a DLC ship can be a p2w???????

5 hours ago, Snoopy said:

The game (like most MMOs) has always been gear based since it left Sea Trials and entered OW, there really isn't anything they need to 'admit now'. The ships had different stats from day 1 in OW.

It feels like you also seem to misjudge the strength of the DLC ships. Hercules could use a nerf, or better have a crafted counterpart added, but how about I gift you the Hermione to your Steam account and see how much p2w that is? (I really mean it).
So far the DLC lineup is: Hercules: slightly op (mostly due to a lack of other shallow water vessels with 32pd nades), Hermione: total dog, and more importantly because its a two decke 4th rater: Rattvisan: well balanced, Agamemnon is slightly better overall. This is a far cry from pay to win.

The mere fact you can pay for infinitely redeemable ships (up to 4 a day) is pay2win. 
It's bypassing the economic flow of the game in favor of casual play. It also gets in the way of the MMO aspect because the ships take over almost half the the demand for ships, reducing demand for crafted ships by half, lessening the ship economy...by half. That's not a joke, that's a huge hit to any potential shipping business can have.
There's a good reason why smart developers don't sell the "essence" of their games for cash, and stick only to cosmetics and vanity items.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

There's a good reason why smart developers don't sell the "essence" of their games for cash

You can dry-hump the the eco-leg all you want and I won't bat an eye, but proclaiming eco as "the essence of NA" makes me want to go full retard with reckless abandon.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jodgi said:

You can dry-hump the the eco-leg all you want and I won't bat an eye, but proclaiming eco as "the essence of NA" makes me want to go full retard with reckless abandon.

It is, if it wasn't then we'd still be playing NA:L.
If economy really wasn't what was holding everything together.
Abandon the economy and you really have no justification for the open world.

• Like 2

I think there is a disconnect in terminology: Yes DLC ships bypass some aspects (perhaps 1/3 of it - crafting of ships - you still need cannons and modules) of the economy and lessen the grind to an extent. This is time sink vs money - quite a few games have xp boosts, powerlevel, premium account whatever you want to call it.

If their balancing is as it should be (like the Rattvisan) DLC ships give you 0 advantage in combat, and this is the most important part imho.

I find it somewhat frightening (please don't take offense, everyone can play the game as they like) that you think the eco part 'is the game' rather than the combat part. Under that logic, I can now understand why you think it's p2w. To me eco is just means to an end not the actual thing. If combat isn't the goal but the economy - why craft ships at all?

On 7/17/2019 at 11:21 AM, huliotkd said:

real p2w is buying ALT account, having  more than 5 building slots, more than 3k labour hours, more than 30 docks slots, mor than 15 vic mark a week....many player have 4-5 ALT

this is the real p2w, even if a main account buy the admiralty DLC...the labour cap is still 3k hours and with a single ALT you have 6k and 60 ships slots....i know there are player (now in russian nation) with more than 10 ALT...

how can you think a DLC ship can be a p2w???????

Mate enjoy your redeemed 4-4-4-4 purple or golden Le Requin (we all know you will redeem it one day) , just keep farming noobs with your cancer but do not try to justify what has happened. 

I would support DLC permit and dlc ship to be crafted with port bonus at shipyard, I would support your stupid lrq with 4-4-4-4 port bonus, in which you can do endless farming, but NOT THIS SHIT, it is pay to win as hell. 

Of course I do agree with ALT shit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snoopy said:

If combat isn't the goal but the economy - why craft ships at all?

If combat is the goal - why craft ship at all ?

You can't say buy my ow mmo sandbox game, and years later, oh, anyway, if you just want to fight the other buyers without effort & risks, buy this dlc (imagine an mmorpg dlc  for unlimited access to a lvl 50 paladin able to revive every 24h "cause combat is the goal" ofc) "hey it's not the best paladin in game stats wise so it's fair and not p2w".  

I'm not even angry about dlc ships to be honest, just sad the efforts seems to be oriented toward while them and removing content for the rest "hidden rng permits", "increased prices" etc.. instead of creating a balanced and coherent game where everything works together as it should.

On 7/17/2019 at 3:32 PM, Snoopy said:

What are you talking about? Shallow water ships with 32pder carros also are: Cerberus, Surprise, Renommee, Niagara, Le Requin. Hercules is overpowered due to her too high base-speed combined with high agility and number of chasers.

Le 09/07/2019 à 17h11, Raekur a déclaré:

1. Les navires DLC ne vont pas manquer de bonus de port.

2. Les navires DLC sont également les plus faibles de leur classe.

3. Le seul avantage des navires est ce qu'ils peuvent être échangés n'importe où.

Et ...

4. Les navires en DLC gratuit peuvent être utilisés toutes les 24 heures GRATUITEMENT et à l'INFINI. 

Edited by Marquis de la Fayette

My take on the topic, and related suggestions.

I show in two examples - including a screenshot of latest stats from the API - how DLC ships are fitting the definition of Pay 2 Win in Naval Action.

If you have a different definition of P2W, please post the counter argument.

Edited by Tenet

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 8:36 AM, Vernon Merrill said:

18 pounders on a shallow ship is the real problem here...   was a poor choice from the get-go....

Yeah... I agree here... I believe that the 32 pound carros are ok... but I think the Hercules shoudlnt have cannons larger than 9 pounds. But in the end... the ship is relaly only as good as her Captain. I have talked to players that disliked them for fragility and/or more difficult handling. The Le Hermoine is very well balanced yes? Lets make the DLC deep water ships only... except for Le Requin… just make her have smaller guns... then all she does is boarding... but then we are talking about a nerf... and nerfs are bad for business.

Edited by LIONOFWALES

On 7/12/2019 at 1:17 AM, Slim McSauce said:

Constitution is a frigate, it does not belong under 3rd rate classification.

I agree entirely here... should be a 4th rate in game.... at least in my opinion... after all, it is the British that complained about it being called a frigate in the 1800's anyway. Lets just face it... we do everything bigger in the USA. Its what we are used to... our frigates are bigger and the Line ships... though only a few were built... were monsters... made L'Ocean look a bit smaller. Good thing we never had to use them really... if we did, we would have been fighting a war the young USA did not want.

The main reason I think they put it under 3rd rate is for the higher crafting requirement. While the current Connie is good it doesn't fill any roll, it's wholly outclassed in it's line up being only armed with 24's on it's main deck while it's so-called contemporaries are sporting 32's, as well as just having more firepower and armor in general.

The problem in my eyes with sorting the ships class by tonnage is Constitution historically was made up of the heaviest woods available at the time, LO/WO. So on paper it is a lot heavier than the other large frigates which were made of lighter woods. Constitution being punished for being a historically heavy ship, it really does belong with the 4ths.