Game-Labs Forum

the effect of bad karma seems to be tribes not wanting to join your cause. i guess there's some hidden random factor too since i tend to run with full bad karma and they still join me, which is fine (unless that's a bug?). 

so the point of the karma system seems to be to up the difficulty of the game if you choose the more expeditive and ruthless approach. while this is fine in principle there seem to be a few problems which i won't address until i can really test how tribe warfare really works. however, for now i would like to suggest that karma could actually play a far more engaging and interesting role with a few changes, e.g.

what if bad karma made your warriors better at fighting, but worse at gathering/following orders?
or, make them more agressive and damage dealing, but more vulnerable?
or, settlers could be more fearful (less agressive) against bad karma players/warriors?

or on a borader sense, tribes could have their own generated karma at start, either good or bad or inbetween, and their attitude towards the player would depend not on his karma being good, but aligned to theirs. the player would have to find out what 'society' he has to deal with, then decide on the best strategy to get them going, gain favor and go for it. maybe even if the progress is good, this could trigger smalls changes in the attitude of the rest of the tribes towards the winning karma option, be it good or bad.

in short, more than karma setting just a difficulty level, simple changes like these could add a lot of variety and nuance to the gameplay, and allow the player to create his own story.

afaik, now karma is just a way of coercing the player into doing intimidation instead of killing, which is actually a bit cheap of a mechanic, specially if you consider that you can wipe bad karma with skillpoints (with doesn't actually make much sense either: so you clean you conscience with the skill points you gained precisely doing stuff that's wrong for your conscience. sounds like ultracatholic reasoning to me :D).

finally, one simple request: I WANT TO COLLECT SCALPS!!! how in earth is this not in the game?? :D
this should give ample satisfaction, good reputation and huge bad karma and instill fear into the rotten hearts of our white foe!

On the whole the kharma system does seem a bit petty. Some interesting ideas. 

1 thing that sprung to mind with the scalping.  

How about if you had the option to do it, It would instil fear in the enemy, but at a huge kharma cost. So if you do it, then the enemy would not enter your lands for a few days, or they won`t send patrols out. Or maybe slow progression. Maybe  enemies will have less accuracy, or a chance to run in fear. Maybe less enemies in camps.

Maybe it could make your warriors more powerful and do more damage for a time, as they are emboldened by their chief.

This could also be an outcome of kharma, if no scalping.

Edited by dragonsblade71uk
  • Like 1

On the topic of scalping, I suggest it being a double-edged sword. It may result in less enemies in camps, but those who are there are individually stronger as a military presence is sent out? On the flipside, it can scare off nearby enemies with an aura of intimidation (rather than intimidating each individually) with a huge karma hit.

• Like 2

I really do hope that they change the karma system. It just really doesn't make sense (Human logic) at this point. Here we have the settlers killing you and your people on sight and taking your land, but no you mustn't kill them, you must use one basic mechanic (sneak, knock out, intimidate)over and over again. If you don't your own people wont help you???? So as it is it really needs to be changed to Make logical sense (to some degree) and be fun. This will get boring really quick and also forces a very punishing result to people wanting to RP, in many different ways. I also like znôrt's ideas on this.

• Like 1

totally agree with you wolfplank.
Especially since the balancing is foolish. Lose 60 karma points per kill and earn 120 (memory) for cleaning a fort or patrol.
Loss of points whether you are an aggressor or an assaulted.

Having a good karma can only help to rally friendly tribes , because the trade with the French trappers is anecdotal .