Game-Labs Forum

"Backer Build One" feedback

22 hours ago, CajunNavy said:

CAPT E, I discovered that if you use the QWES keys, you can move the view around the battle space.  It really helps, and I think it may resolve my issues with the orientation of the two maps.  More play will tell.

Ah hah!  Yes, that does it.  Thanks much CajunNavy!

BTW, from my play it does appear that crews can repair a damaged rudder underway, although I cannot confirm whether it can be done while delivering and/or receiving cannon fire.

17 minutes ago, CAPT E. said:

Ah hah!  Yes, that does it.  Thanks much CajunNavy!

BTW, from my play it does appear that crews can repair a damaged rudder underway, although I cannot confirm whether it can be done while delivering and/or receiving cannon fire.

Sailors were allocated to fix rudder. There is task system, repairing has top priority as water pump and fire fight. If ship doesn't have enough crew for repairing then sailors will be taken from guns and rigging what will affect their performance. Different tasks drain condition differently.

Red rudder is broken rudder, repaired rudder has yellow color, it has decreased characteristics.

sterner, excellent fun.  Many thanks to you and the team.  One of the things I think could be added is double shotted guns.  That might give my poor frigates some help with those 68's.

Again, thank you guys. 

CajunNavy

Hi Guys,

I love the update.  Excellent work, thank you all so much!

However, I don't see a sign in for my Admiral's Edition.  Is it included in the update or did I make an error?

Thanks,

CajunNavy

2 hours ago, CajunNavy said:

Hi Guys,

I love the update.  Excellent work, thank you all so much!

However, I don't see a sign in for my Admiral's Edition.  Is it included in the update or did I make an error?

Thanks,

CajunNavy

Please send me your registered email  in private message to check. It is a new system and issues can exist.

Love

1. I love attention to detail when ships become close to an enemy ship, the mucketmen will begin to fire at them. I also love that you can see the crew walking around the ship and loading the cannons. Keep adding small details like this, really adds to the immersion of the game.

2. love how you get the option to ether control all your ships, or set the ships to AI.

3. I love the graphics and the way ships react to the wind physics in relation to the wind direction. but would love to see more foliage on land and ground detail as it currently looks a bit empty.     

Would like to see added 

1. Fort battles to accompany the land battles, similar to Empire Total War. This would allow for an even better game play experiences, where all the enemies goods could be inside the forts walls, so your going to need to fight your way into capture the fort and take the goods. Forts could also be constructed for a tactical advantage for a high coat and upkeep, however, if the enemy attack you and you loss the fort. The enemy can use it to there own tactical advantage, so you will need to capture it back again.

2. Would like to see further micromanagement with ship crew and land crew, to make the game play more immersive and challenging.

3. improved foliage and ground details on land and sea. 

What I Hate

I dont really hate anything, your doing an amazing job :) 

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody,

After a few battles, I can describe what I like and don't like in this game.

So i like very much the details of the game. On my own, the ships are very beatifull. On top of that, I really appreciate the flags with the companies of soldiers (it is one of my regrets of not watching them in UG : Gettyburg and UG : Civil War.

How fun is to see holes bullets and destructions on the enemies ships (how sad is to see on my own ... bouhouhou).

By the way, the flags, during naval battles are statics, they don't run with the changing wind direction.

What about the opportunity to charge differents ammo in the both sides ships ? for exemple, long range in the right side of my frigate and anti-crew in the left side.

Very good idea to give us opprtunity to capture moving canons ! It can become a "little" strategy in the "big" strategy battle. Can we be able to chose how many men we want to deal with canons and supplies and how much we want to keep as rifflemen ?

One thing that I don't like is are the landing operations and battles. Enemies soldiers disapear so quickly in the jungle, even if they are very close to my soldiers. It's give a very strange felling, they disapear like by magic. In one second, they are not in line of sight.

Combats are quicker that in UG : G and UG : CV. Errors will be payed very fast. I prefer the rythm of the two other last games. It give me more time to check all the battlefield and react before an annihilation of my troops.

When will you give us others words to read than Horatio Nelson ? is he the only knew admiral ?

I have a lot of hope with the strategic part of this game. I hope that it will something similar as the Total War games. A strategic and a development part of game and a tactic part with naval and land battles.

Reading my text, we can think that I don't like this game beacause they are much things that I don't like but no ! I really enjoy UA : Age of Sails and I hope that I will give some interesting informations for developers.

(sorry for the mistakes, my english is not really rich).

Have a nice day !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i dont know.. i dont like the fact Devs are not implementing 18.century combat with this game, but opting for some Civil War setup with just recolored uniforms for soldiers.... Formations are way too loose,  in reality soldiers were supposed to stand shoulder to shoulder.. and British were particularly precise in this.. distance between ranks in British infantry was 0.63m. French Infantry stood closer (0.325m), Austrian infantry farther (1.3m)

Oh and of course, while watching Bunker Hill, one thing punched me instantly - there were 2nd Company Grenadiers running around.... thing is, Grenadiers were ALWAYS 1st Company and there was only single company of Grenadiers in every single Line infantry regiment... besides, Grenadiers were technically not named 1st Company, 1st up to 8th were Line Infantry companies, Grenadier company and Light Infantry company were elite companies of the regiment and therefore unnumbered.

http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/British_infantry_the_redcoats.htm#_organization_and_tactics

Naval battles looks great in this game, but Land combat so far is quite terrible im affraid...

12 hours ago, JaM said:

i dont know.. i dont like the fact Devs are not implementing 18.century combat with this game, but opting for some Civil War setup with just recolored uniforms for soldiers.... Formations are way too loose,  in reality soldiers were supposed to stand shoulder to shoulder.. and British were particularly precise in this..

Thank you for feedback.

12 hours ago, JaM said:

Oh and of course, while watching Bunker Hill, one thing punched me instantly - there were 2nd Company Grenadiers running around.... thing is, Grenadiers were ALWAYS 1st Company and there was only single company of Grenadiers in every single Line infantry regiment... besides, Grenadiers were technically not named 1st Company, 1st up to 8th were Line Infantry companies, Grenadier company and Light Infantry company were elite companies of the regiment and therefore unnumbered.

I think you are confusing historical movies with historical games. Sorry 
In games player has full control over outcomes. 
If a general is silly and wants to try to make up his army all from artillery - he can do so and will lose most battles. Same with grenadiers. You are not watching a movie. You can build your armies to historical compositions and for example have 1 grenadier if you wish so. But other players should be able to recruit more grenadiers if they want to.. Its their army. Not yours.  

• Like 3

Grenadiers in British Line infantry regiments were elite unit composed of best men in the regiment that fulfilled the requirements for Grenadiers.. they got better uniforms, extra pay  etc... there were 2 companies in every single regiment of British army with Elite status... Grenadier Company and Light Infantry Company. Not a single Regiment in British army had more than one Grenadier company... Even Guard Regiments, which were quite special didnt had more Grenadier companies... Grenadier company place was the farther right wing, when Regiment was deployed as a line. Light infantry place was on far left wing. When Regiment was marching in column, Grenadier Company was at the front, Lights at the rear..

And sometimes, Line Regiments didnt even have Grenadier company... because it was common practice to create a special adhoc force and take all Grenadier companies and form them into independent Grenadier battalion.. so if anything, player should be allowed to take away Grenadier company of parent regiment and create Grenadier battalion, but should not be allowed to have two Grenadier companies within Line Infantry regiment.

And its really great you wanna give Player option to customize his army, but player is playing the game from position of a General/Commander, therefore he should not be able to do things Generals were not allowed to do in reality... as they were not allowed to go and change the composition of British army.. Only King could do it, and there was no King in Europe who would pay soldiers more money than he had to (because Grenadiers had double pay)... Yes, there were exceptions, like Prussian Leib Grenadier units, but even then, there were just 2 regiments of them, and they were tasked to protect the king...

and similarly, in British army, there was 1st Guard Regiment, that was actually renamed to Grenadier Regiment of Foot Guards, but that happened in 1815 after battle of Waterloo, which is a bit too soon for American War of Independence..

Besides, isnt Bunker Hill a scenario based on real events??? If so, then having 2nd company Grenadiers is illogical and inaccurate. If you wanna have custom units, thats fine, but If you have historical battles, then they should have historical unit composition...

Also, want to add:  Companies usually had around 90-100 soldiers plus about 10-15 officers and another noncombat stuff. Yet in game you have 200-300 men large companies, which is quite unrealistic..   it was not uncommon for a company to be a half strength, so 200-250men would be better to represent under-strength Battalion..

Also, as I mentioned before Typical British Infantry Regiment was 10 companies, 8 Line Infantry companies, Grenadier company and Light Infantry company. If Grenadiers and Lights were detached, those 8 Line companies were called a Battalion, which typically was 4-8 companies big. Detached Grenadiers and Lights usually formed Grenadier Battalion, which typically was formed from all Grenadier companies from a Division (4 regiments), so technically, if Player wants to use Grenadier Battalion, he has to have a 4 Regiments of Foot from which he could detach Grenadier companies.