Game-Labs Forum

Player exploit to join my battle

I was fighting a surprise solo in my Hercules. I noticed a pirate called Ed Rose from Black clan joined the battle on my team. I then noticed his clan mate joining my battle on opposing team. I believe ED Rose joined my team to exploit my battle and raise my 'teams' BR so that his friend in a bigger ship that would otherwise not have been able to join on the enemy side could join to easily kill me. As I was already under BR of the fight.

Attached screenshot below of the two players in battle just after they joined.104723776_NavalActionExploitCheating.thumb.png.359a10cc8ba974b3002b7161d555fde7.png

• Like 1

You have to state whether or not they both fought for their joined side as intended.  If the guy who joined your side fought with you and the guy who joined the other side fought with the other side, then technically they didn't break any rules.  However if he joined your side for as you say to raise BR and never fought, then he broke the rules.  But you never stated.

1 hour ago, Liang Dao Ming said:

It's obviously not working as intended.

Its Working as Intended.

I made a similar clear case one month ago when a player used an alt to interfere with the battle. can't say i have heard any statement or if any action was taken.

But i think most players would agree that for this shit, there should be a severe punishment

1 minute ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Damned pirates.  It's allowed and encouraged by the game mechanics.  This should be a suggestion for a change...not a tribunal.

But joining one side PURELY to open the other side for entry is an abuse of mechanics to get around another intended mechanic and surely tribunal worthy?

1 minute ago, H982 FKL said:

But joining one side PURELY to open the other side for entry is an abuse of mechanics to get around another intended mechanic and surely tribunal worthy?

An interesting point.  Because only Pirates can do this, it could be that this is an intended result of this mechanic.  I guess we need a ruling (good luck).  Btw, there is at least one loot stealing, kill stealing prick of a pirate that I would be happy to find on the opposing side. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

An interesting point.  Because only Pirates can do this, it could be that this is an intended result of this mechanic.  I guess we need a ruling (good luck).  Btw, there is at least one loot stealing, kill stealing prick of a pirate that I would be happy to find on the opposing side. 

I'll admit, both being pirates makes this a more complicated case, but there have been many examples of people using alts to achieve the same thing. So I'd say it is the reinforcement mechanic that needs looking at again, more than the "outlaw" stuff

Edited by H982 FKL

Just now, H982 FKL said:

I'll admit, both being pirates in makes this a more complicated case, but there have been many examples of people using alts to achieve the same thing. So I'd say it is the reinforcement mechanic that needs looking at again, more than the "outlaw" stuff

Concur.  It's the 20 minute timer that will continue to cause this kind of problem.  Not a tribunal issue IMO.

The rules also clearly state that if you join a battle you are expected to fight for your side in that battle.  

So: 

NOT punishable if you actually fought

VERY punishable if you just joined and did nothing.  

Hopefully there’s proof of one or the other.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

The rules also clearly state that if you join a battle you are expected to fight for your side in that battle.  

So: 

well you can join a battle to loot. you can also be told not to loot and be sunk by allies iirc.

2 hours ago, Vernon Merrill said:

So: 

"There, i shot a broadside... Too bad i cant aim and it hit the waves"

Seen that before too

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Damned pirates.  It's allowed and encouraged by the game mechanics.  This should be a suggestion for a change...not a tribunal.

pointed out 5000 times, but the devs ignore it

4 hours ago, Vernon Merrill said:

So: 

stupid thing is, if you "miss" all your shots, fire chain instead of ball from 500m, does that categorize as fighting or not fighting? we had the same thing in a hostility the other day ( not that it changed anything), but the pirate players joined both defending side and our side, adding one more defending ship while just running away

And yet no comments from the accused regarding their actions. 

This suggests that the action taken by the pirates is deemed malicious intent. While I understand stumbling upon an exploitable aspect of a program, but to willfully use said exploit is worthy of a tribunal judgement. Pirates have since the beginning had more options available to them then the nations. This is one thing that makes no sense to me considering the mechanics of the game as a whole. The pirates for a while were constantly complaining that they wanted the same abilities as nations (during the alliance phase of the game). On the same note nations have complained that they wanted the pirates ability to attack their own nation due to rogue elements or alts causing grief for the purpose of undermining nation activities.

So an easy fix for this is to convert the pirates into a single "nation" so that they do not have any ability that is not shared with every other playable side in the game. The only other option would be to introduce some penalty to the pirates as a whole to balance out the unique ability they have (perhaps limit them to nothing larger than 5th rates).

I think it is an acceptable bet that if they have been around long enough to know they can join both sides, they would know about the forum.

I think that the aspect of in order to become a pirate you had to start off in a nation and then attack an AI of that nation should have remained though I would have added 1 additional step in that once you attack the AI your flagged as a traitor, then if you attack another AI of your nation then you become Pirate.

Pirates used to represent the upper echelon of pvp players, too bad that now since it is so easy to join the pirates the group has been reduced down to being (for the most part) the worst characteristics of the player base in the game. While there are some pirates that are noble players who just like to walk on the dark side, there are a lot of others that prefer to use cheats and exploits in a any mean possible way to play the game. The whole attitude of "because I can" really needs to be curbed - Hard.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Routan said:

I am not saying they dont know abouth the forum. Saying not everybody reads it. Play with plenty of guys thst never go to there forum.

So you're saying that players should be excused from consequences for questionable actions because of ignorance?

Last time I checked, if a player wants to avoid punishment they need to stay informed of changes in the game. Unless they have a mutant ability to read minds from a great distance, they need to read the forums. Ignorance is not a defense and since there has been no communication from the accused, there is no proof that they did not know exactly what they were doing.

One of them responded in this thread....There will be no punishment for this because it is acceptable game play.  It actually happens by accident quite often when someone joins a battle, decides for a multitude of reasons that he doesn't want to fight and then leaves.  This skews the BR differential so that other unwelcome guests can come in.  The mechanic is not flawless, but there is nothing tribunal-worthy here (I've been on the wrong side of this several times).  Agitate to change the ROE mechanic if you wish and good luck to you.  Devs already stated that this will not change.

• Like 1