Game-Labs Forum

Player-selected ships 2015 - Final poll

Barberouge

Final poll  

856 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your favorite ship

• Rattlesnake (1780, American 20-gun corvette)
    • Amazon-class (1773, British 32-gun frigate)
    • Hermione (1779, French 32-gun frigate)
    • Amsterdam (1748, Dutch 42-gun Indiaman)
    • USS Bonhomme Richard (1765, American 42-gun Indiaman)
    • HMS Indefatigable (1784, British 44-gun razeed frigate)
    • USS Independence (1814, American 54-gun razeed ship)
    • Wasa (1778, Swedish 60-gun ship)
    • HMS Agamemnon (1781, British 64-gun ship)
    • Téméraire-class (1784, French 74-gun ship)
    • Christian VII (1767, Dano-Norwegian 90-gun ship)
    • Océan-class (1788, French 118-gun ship)

If we build Amsterdam we will build it with Chapman drawings.. and will ask you for refs on rigging. So it will be just an Indiaman.

Hmm...may have to change vote again. :)

Any chance a plain Indiaman version of Bonhomme Richard might also be made (if selected)?

Another word on the Amsterdam:

I've visited it too and indeed I wouldn't be surprised if the decks are a little more spacious to give the tourists a tad more headroom. How much difference that actually makes is debatable. For my 6 feet 4 inches/194cm it was still pretty damn cramped.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's a static replica, not a sailing one. I very much doubt it has engines or safety features or complete rigging. It's also unladen which adds to it looking funny. The proportions are a bit off but it's not *that* bad. It doesn't even matter if the devs are using different, better plans :) 

If we build Amsterdam we will build it with Chapman drawings.. and will ask you for refs on rigging. So it will be just an Indiaman.

Which is more or less what i was after. Not necessarily Amsterdam per se, but somthing large and well armed for a merchant. Most Indiamen I'd been looking through were between 20-30 guns, and were only outfitted with more after they'd been purchased and converted to warships by the navy (i.e. Earl of Abergavenny, Cumberland). I was looking for something from the mid 18th century already well armed for merchant service and I landed at the Amsterdam, which had an existing replica. Yeah I'll agree the replica looks a bit off, but as someone noted its probably riding high because its unladen and from what I read its also lacking about 30 guns. Though I have no doubt some liberties were taken in its construction, the point was it led me to beleive that plans were available, somewhere.

Having a generic Indiaman though is just as good, providing its around the same size and armament as the original Amsterdam, and I feel that will represent well the upper end of the scale of what a merchant captain might hope to be plying his trade and fighting in once the game reaches that stage.

Yeah I'll agree the replica looks a bit off, but as someone noted its probably riding high because its unladen and from what I read its also lacking about 30 guns. Though I have no doubt some liberties were taken in its construction, the point was it led me to beleive that plans were available, somewhere.

The amsterdam wasn't authenticly rebuild, this was so that the build would be faster. But there's the result, I prefere the slow but steady and authentic way of building. Make's the ships look much more beautifull.

You just wait untill the zeven provincien is done in the Bataviawerf :)

• Like 2

The amsterdam wasn't authenticly rebuild, this was so that the build would be faster. But there's the result, I prefere the slow but steady and authentic way of building. Make's the ships look much more beautifull.

You just wait untill the zeven provincien is done in the Bataviawerf :)

All that authenticity schmautenticity is a ridiculous undertaking for a ship of that size. I would much prefer them building an accurate replica with modern materials, to speed things up. One can always build a smaller ship with fully traditional methods. 

At the rate it's going now, Zeven Provinciën will be done in like 2050 or so...just takes too long.

I really wish a few of the European "Age of Sail" navies would get together and build one or maybe a few large lineships. It's a big part of our collective heritage, but the investments needed for such large projects can often not be sourced locally. Naval prowess has shaped many European nations and it deserves more attention. 

Anyway, /offtopic  :P

The problem with the Amsterdam is that they changed her to suit the needs of modern museum visitors: the height between the decks has been increased, there are two 'doors' in her side for ease of access, she has a modern staircase going from through the main hatch (which had to be significantly widened to make the staircase fit), etc, etc.

So, calling Amsterdam a 'replica' is quite a statement, she is more a historically inspired modern museum attraction. At least, she is self-floating, unlike some other 'replica ships' which are build on barges.

Having said all that, I would still like to see the East Indiaman Amsterdam (1748) to be included in the game, provided they use the original plans instead of the distorted 'modern' ones.

~Brigand

Having said all that, I would still like to see the East Indiaman Amsterdam (1748) to be included in the game, provided they use the original plans instead of the distorted 'modern' ones.

~Brigand

The folks at Game-Labs are too wise for that.

The poll looks pretty settled now, so unless a bunch of people change their votes looks like we'll be getting a true Indiaman and the Rattlesnake, which suits me perfectly. Can't wait to trod the deck of my own big fat merchant ship.

The mystery now is which will be the third ship chosen?

• Like 1