Game-Labs Forum

Hits on the Waterline. Some Questions

Hello there.

I played a few Battles now. Not that much, but some on the Yacht & Lynx. I had almost no Leaks ever on my Ship. When i was ramming an enemy i had some but not by Damage. If i inflicted some i dont know because it was hidden to me.

So here are the Questions that i have:

1. Can you look through Spyglass and guess what Shots caused leaks? Are Leaks visual by another Texture on the Ship?

2. Are those Leaks (visible or not) sealed and dissapear when they are repaired?

3. How are those Leaks calculated? Canonball weight, Diameter, Type of Shot, thickness of Armour/Planks? Anything known about it?

4. I see ships listing to one side when water pours in. Does this Water effect any of the Sailing Abilitys of the Ships? Like Speed, maneuverability?

Thx in Advance

1&2.  No, the holes in the ship do not necessarily mean it caused a leak, and even if it did, if the leak was plugged the decal is still there.  Non-penetrating shots also cause the decal from what I can tell.

3.  Don't know.

4.  Yes.  I think it causes a loss in speed (maybe not), but I do know for sure that the ship can't maneuver as well.  If you get 50%+ water in your hold maneuvering is worse than with crew loss.

• Like 1

LOL... Prater beat me to it...  ;)

I'll echo everything he said except: I have noticed the speed of my ship being affected by flooding as well.  Seems to be about 1/3 slower at %50 flooding (to use Prat's example) and much worse down to about 1/2 speed when your nearly sunk.  Seems to be worse with Ships of the Line as well.

There is going to be a Damage Model update fairly soon that should go a long way to explaining these things... I hope.  :P

Welcome Aboard Taki  B)

• Like 1

Just a few Minutes away i was in a Big stormy fight. Had 6pdr Long and loaded with Double Shots. I shot a Demasted Brig on the Bow with its armour down. I hit him about 30 Shots point blank around the Waterline but it didnt sink. After pummeling him for more than 20 Minutes from all sides he finally went down with no Armor left. :o

So what am i doing wrong? After Armour down and Long Guns Penetrating (as i read) better than Standard that one should have gone all the Way to davy Jones Locker way earlier?

Thx for the Answers so far.

So any explanation on how to maximise my Damage to an enemy Hull?

If you see a splash without any wood flying that means you were shooting too low.  A Cannonball can't get very far in water.  I rarely target right at the waterline because hitting is better than missing and if you target right at the water line the enemy ship could move and you will miss.  Also, you probably would have sunk him faster if you hit a side that still had armor. 

If you see a splash without any wood flying that means you were shooting too low.  A Cannonball can't get very far in water.  I rarely target right at the waterline because hitting is better than missing and if you target right at the water line the enemy ship could move and you will miss.  Also, you probably would have sunk him faster if you hit a side that still had armor. 

Although riding around in my yacht in a storm map, armed with carronades, double-loaded, and firing as the enemy's hull rises out of the water? Awesome.

• Like 1