Game-Labs Forum

PvE peace server: Making crafting great again

The introduction of elite ships as 'end game content' for veteran players was a good thing. You get mostly powerful ships with port boni and, more dependable, those tasty new cannons.

However, I think nobody will contradict me when I say ship crafting got stalled this way. It isn't making sense any more. Which is even a higher barrier now as after release we are supposed to set up our shipyards again from scratch and heavily invest into them.

Any ship built on player's shipyard, even in preferable woods, will be outmatched by a converted elite note ship.

--

So I am proposing a reform for elite notes on PvE peace server. Not sure if PvP war server needs that too, they have their real port boni from... ehm... ports apparently.

According to this suggestion, you would not loot an elite note which produces a whole ship, but only a 'port boni package' of unknown composition. And the type of ship you looted it from would determine if it is a "6-7th rate port boni upgrade" or a "5th rate..." or a "4th rate..." etc. Not tied to the exact ship model but to a class/rate. So a package from a Wasa can be used on a Bellona project, a package from an Essex on an Endymion project, etc.

This package you bring to your shipyard and use it as optional ingredient for ship crafting. You may still build ships without port boni, they will result like the ones we are currently having. But you may chose to add a matching port boni upgrade when crafting - and you will get a random port boni composition with the new ship. This will ignite a new interest in ship crafting and crafted ships will surpass existing elite note converted ships in quality, like they should.

--

In case the idea behind introducing elite note ships was also about enabling players to produce instant ships if they don't have a shipyard, make it so, that the player would have to add an amount in doubloons to his elite note and he will be able to convert it in the way it is done now, to a ship of same type, just without shipyard. But he can't chose woods, like it is now. This promotes the use of shipyards, but does not require them totally. So here it is not a class and free use within that ship class/rating, but an Ingermanland will always result in an Ingermanland elite ship, and no Wappen or Agamemnon, etc.

Like:

6-7th rate elite note + 2000 doubloons

5th rate elite note + 4000 doubloons

4th rate elite note + 6000 doubloons

3rd rate elite note + 10000 doubloons

2nd rate elite note + 15000 doubloons

1st rate elite note + 20000 doubloons = convertible note = elite ship of same class with random wood composition

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac
  • Like 10

This is a good idea. Something has to be done in PvE because it is so unbalanced and crafting has pretty much been made obsolete. The game feels more incomplete than it did a year ago. I do not understand why the game was released this way, other than maybe to be able to sell DLC's without breaking Steam's TOS. Making so many changes to the NPC's, knowledge, xp, Elite NPC's and all done just a few weeks before release has flipped  PvE onto it's side and it will sink more sooner than later if not fixed. MCGA 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, McPoyle said:

Making so many changes to the NPC's, knowledge, xp, Elite NPC's and all done just a few weeks before release has flipped  PvE onto it's side and it will sink more sooner than later if not fixed. MCGA 

I have studied beached NPCs behavior with a well known prussian captain and trust me, things that get flipped onto their side don't sink. They do catch fire though, a magnificent show, though I was a bit worried for the forests just a few meters further.

I love the idea Comte, and I fully agree.

Like it or not, the existence of elite NPCs combined with the absence of port boni made crafting (and the economic movements related to crafting) obsolete. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

1st rate elite note + 20000 doubloons = convertible note = elite ship of same class with random wood composition

Except for the "random wood" and the "no shipyard" part: Great idea

My idea was (discusssed in chat with the am "well known Prussian":

Note + permit + ingredients for normal ship = elite ship of the wood combo you choose and with random port boni.

So the note as crafting ingredient similar to the coins of the past adding the "elite and port boni" part of ship quality

Random meaning : including crew bonus and minus rig bonus which is useless on PvE.

Right now converted notes never yield elites with crew bonus, but often have rig bonus, which no crafter would ever buy on PvE.

Edited by Jan van Santen
  • Like 2

there should be some way that crafters can access port bonus's for their ships. I play solo and enjoy all aspects of the game including crafting my own ships, hoping for a "better" ship after attacking and sinking an elite is still not guaranteed as many elites don't drop a note, often all you get are gimmick canons and not even enough to actually use on a ship.

On 6/14/2019 at 4:50 PM, Jan van Santen said:

Except for the "random wood" and the "no shipyard" part: Great idea

My idea was (discusssed in chat with the am "well known Prussian":

Note + permit + ingredients for normal ship = elite ship of the wood combo you choose and with random port boni.

So the note as crafting ingredient similar to the coins of the past adding the "elite and port boni" part of ship quality

Random meaning : including crew bonus and minus rig bonus which is useless on PvE.

Right now converted notes never yield elites with crew bonus, but often have rig bonus, which no crafter would ever buy on PvE.

Agreed, or as someone else mentioned on a different thread, let PvE have a "Port Battle - RvR" System, where u can say put a port up for auction for doubloons, and who ever wins the auction, will have to fight on a weekly basis AI trying to take the port from you.

Port bonuses is a big part of NA, and its a shame its not on PvE yet, i'm somewhat surprised the group join, is still not in PvE after all these years. (1 player tag, group joins the circle before the battle starts, then gets dragged in to the battle with the tagger) I mean we have this on PvP so why not on the PvE as well?