Game-Labs Forum

Idea: A Goldfish and Elephant walk into a bar…

Idea: A Goldfish and Elephant walk into a bar…

Or

Idea: A Persistent Player Character (PC) History function POST Launch

Short Version at the bottom...

@Admin

You’ll need a glass of red for this…

A Thought from Yesterday’s events in sunny Hong Kong…

My acts of bad behaviour in the past you’d have thought faded long ago, but NO Mrs. nChance has a detailed recall like it was carved in stone. When I came in late drunk last night/this morning. This she uses to leverage at great expense comparing with the present and my throbbing head. The memory of an elephant…!

And yet this wonderful girl only yesterday I questioned the shoe shopping bag in her right hand, fails to remember just last week a purchase of Jimmy Choo’s to add to the over spill in the wardrobe. The memory of a sieve or Goldfish if you like.

The same can be said with NA-OW when talking with friends and rivals of a past major victory from your great combat skills. Somehow forgetting that tag, the gank from the school boy error you made only an hour ago.

Bragging rights is all part and parcel of any good MMO game. These stories build into legends and lore giving fabric and richness to this boxed Universe of ours. In real life the average Age of Sail Captain or Admiral kept detailed daily written journals or diaries of events that day. This providing a record of past actions going back throughout a man’s career in depth.

We in NA-OW [EA] don’t have this ability.  I would like to see a detailed recorded history of my PCs life through his years spent in Naval Action. This simple persistent tool but external to the in-game would help build player retention considerably over time.

The Idea…

The full launch of NA-OW is near, possibly even by the end of June’19. This as led to a resurgence of many clean up and polish ideas from the community. From my own Forum clean up to Wraiths Wiki upgrade to Snape’s website polish and so on...

In addition to this is the Pre-Launch WIPE of the servers. This giving the client a fresh start to some extent depending on which servers you use. It reminded me of past ideas and opportunities for the game. This one post from July’18 I would like you to read…

https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/26423-idea-norfolk-compares-apples-to-oranges-to-avoid-a-lemon/

Like all my idea posts there usually long and need alcohol to finish. My idea is to tie an external website with a persistent link (or least a server cycle dump) directly into the game. I explain the need for external tools other than what’s offered just in game. This we can use to help develop players immersion further into the Game, but must be Publisher led and NOT player driven.

The [WoWs] Wiki Helps SELL the Game ours doesn’t.

Would YOU like to have this function…?

Please do try to read the Apples & Oranges post. The section titled “More Backstory to feed my Addiction” at least read and look at my PC link, try it out, navigate look around and then put in Mixy’s profile.

We could replicate something similar using the daily server cycle dump to update the external web link. With it not strictly PERSISENT but daily it would reduce server loading. Data storage also is static that’s added too every day.

Summary

So, I hope you can see this idea and its benefits. The proof from our other Game peers shows it does work. The problem is Publisher commitment to the game POST launch. This is the problem with this idea, it needs Game-Labs commitment to continue building NA post launch on a persistent driven basis.

Otherwise, its down to Wraith, Felix and other players taking the lead and keeping it alive.

Norfolk nChance

Short Version

Old idea to capture Player data on a regular persistent basis that builds up into History. This Players Character can be viewed via an external web link that’s updated once every server cycle.

• Like 12

Nice suggestion

2 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

The full launch of NA-OW is near, possibly even by the end of June’19

I'm planning on booking out some leave to coincide with the release. I assumed this window to be 10th-14th June as per latest dev announcement. As someone with their finger on the pulse as it were have you heard different?

Regards

Captain Ahab

• Like 1

I have no idea on the launch date other than Admin’s post on the 27th May saying within the next 30days from that date. So, would suggest end of June if all goes well.

To be honest I was surprised at the target launch date. I was expecting something much later in the year. I’m a true amateur in this industry and no idea on its working, but usually in my world I’d build up to a product launch. Announcements, interviews and encouraging old players back onto the servers just prior to launch...

Here it feels somewhat of a ‘Ninja Launch...’ perhaps? I should copywrite that phrase before Philip Kotler steals it.

Like you, I can’t wait either. What do you think of your Characters history idea?

N.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

No, they announced 10-14 June for release

Indeed - dev announcement on the 31st May confirms/estimates 10th -14th June release window

Apologies I dont want to derail your post with release chat Norfolk n Chance - back over to you sir. What sort of historic data would you like to see?

• Like 1

No worries at all, but today’s date is the 7th June... Where is the push...?

I love the game, but fcuk I’d fire GLs marketing manager

Back to the historic data thing, my time on WoWs, the players continually use the website. The stats from kills like the eve board I loved. The Player obviously would have a private option to stop others looking in...

I’m not sure what could be collected in terms of data, but it becomes very addictive very quickly in terms of viewing. I will admit it did improve my gameplay in WoWs showing I was using too higher ranked ship for my skill set.

Dropping down a peg or two and my scores improved. This is not quite the same with NA but you can see what I’m pushing out...

This idea needs commitment from the publisher to do. It would also be a good testbed to start for NA-Legends where this type of out of game stats is a MUST HAVE.

Appreciate the feedback guys

N.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wraith said:

It does give one pause... I fear that "release" will mean nothing more than stripping off the EA tag on Steam just before the Sale.

If anyone believes that there will be no more (substantial) patches after release, then I have some business opportunities to discuss with them concerning the Brooklyn bridge. It would not surprise me to learn about another wipe at some time in the future.  The game still has a very 'unfinished" feel to it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Angus MacDuff said:

If anyone believes that there will be no more (substantial) patches after release, then I have some business opportunities to discuss with them concerning the Brooklyn bridge. It would not surprise me to learn about another wipe at some time in the future.  The game still has a very 'unfinished" feel to it.

Looking at my Crystal Balls…

Without trying to blow myself up, currently testing UA: AoS and UA: Dreadnaught. I missed Ink’s This Land…

I’ll take your bet… POST launch there will be no more substantial patches. Minor DLC additions and that’s it. No RvR, it will be left to the community with no NPC overlays or challenges.

I predict I’ll be testing NA2 or/and NA-Legends within 6months

Just to repeat myself… today’s date is the 7th June…

Dev’s need to prove me wrong. Balls of steel, back my Goldfish & Elephant idea. I currently feel I’m holding the Dead man’s hand… what about you, feeling lucky?

Norfolk.

If such an idea were implemented, I would think a simple spreadsheet-type grid with drop-down boxes to select categories for yourself, such as PVP kills or another for PVE kills, and then it would pull up a chart showing your successes and failures, perhaps organized as against each class, and by each class you commanded.  There should be a dropdown category for rank progression with each date you met each rank.  Same for crafting.  A record of wealth also, perhaps by week.  Port battle records on another pulldown.  It would simply be a stats listing I guess, like for Conan or other games.

IMO all this data should be stored client-local within your own game files, I don't see a better way to do it.  You could have everone's data export to a common server database every time they exit the game, however that seems server intensive and prone to a catastrophic failure.  Of course you could lose your history locally too.

Unfortunately, it might be a good idea but it will never get implemented.  GL has no interest in character development as they've previously stated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Papillon said:

Unfortunately, it might be a good idea but it will never get implemented.  GL has no interest in character development as they've previously stated.

The idea might be good... The idea is GOOD.

The idea really does work, proved by multiple game peers...

The idea mechanics look realistic, with data capture and storage workable...

So, why do you tell me GL has no interest in PC development? That sounds like madness...

Are YOU telling me the biggest problem to my idea is GLs commitment to Naval Action Open-World...?

Prove me wrong Dev’s, back the Goldfish & Elephant idea...

1 hour ago, Norfolk nChance said:

I currently feel I’m holding the Dead man’s hand… what about you, feeling lucky

I don't sit with my back to the door.  Depending on the definition of "substantial" patches, I'll stick with my 3 jacks.

• Like 2

Give me about 6 more months and maybe I'll be able to get through a Norfolk nChance OriginalPost in one go.
Your posts hurt my head man, they hurt my pride as well.
No substitute for time! Great ideas as always.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 11:25 AM, Slim McSauce said:

Give me about 6 more months and maybe I'll be able to get through a Norfolk nChance OriginalPost in one go.
Your posts hurt my head man, they hurt my pride as well.
No substitute for time! Great ideas as always.

Come now, I always include a short version and hopefully a funny quote or two.

My idea Mrs. Nchanes sister still a favourite of mine... 

Norfolk

46 minutes ago, Norfolk nCchance said:

Come now, I always include a short version and hopefully a funny quote or two.

My idea Mrs. Nchanes sister still a favourite of mine... 

Norfolk

Short version? Come on now. You know better Norfolk.
Your wife is a nice lady when she cooks!-slim

• Like 1