Game-Labs Forum
Sven Silberbart

The Timer Problem

5 minutes ago, Potemkin said:

You can say the timing on the pbs was all just a big coincidence, very creative.

You can call me a liar all you want but it doesn't make it true. It just makes you look like a frail child more interested in grinding an axe than articulating an argument based on fact.

6 minutes ago, Potemkin said:

I never mentioned exploits idk why you're so defensive about that.

Probably because Russia has relied on the same "legacy" mechanic extensively on their way to dominating the map and locking those ports behind timers that you're apparently now saying don't work to your advantage?  I guess I'm really confused about why're so worked up about this and even bothering to comment here...

But I won't bother linking to the 92 separate threads and tribunal posts created by U.S. players since the port wipe about San Mateo and St. Mary's as evidence to support why we might be defensive. They shouldn't be hard to find if you're curious why we feel a bit piqued by their attitude, and surely Russian players might appreciate how being called cheaters and exploiters can be a bit annoying, no?

23 minutes ago, Potemkin said:

I guess half filled and empty pbs and jumping newb missions in front of ct is fun, who knew?

We'll take what we can get.

It's not our fault that the game mechanics are the way they are. We sure as hell didn't advocate for the current systems that are in play (beyond potentially the support behind more clan-driven RvR), so don't pin that and its effect on player populations on us. We are equal opportunity capital campers, just ask the Brits how KPR is in the evenings (it's empty by the way, they've moved to greener pastures just like the U.S. should have instead of rolling over for Russia and giving you the secret islands and Bermuda uncontested). In fact we've spent precious little time in front of Charleston the last week, and that's the great irony given the constant refrain of "woe is us," coming from the U.S. players.

And surely a pending wipe has nothing at all to do with a decline in player numbers and popularity during all time zones... 🙄

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Probably because Russia has relied on the same "legacy" mechanic extensively on their way to dominating the map and locking those ports behind timers that you're apparently now saying don't work to your advantage?  I guess I'm really confused about why're so worked up about this and even bothering to comment here...

We took marsh to get to secret island took secret island to get to bermuda, what port did REDs exploit? As for the rest of the map, hey if no one wants attack or defend any of it then thats the way its gonna be. I dont think we'd have this many ports if there were more players but it was my understanding that we were trying to provoke fights, if no one wants to fight we utilize the trade routes to make money to get the timers to ensure we dont have to try to cobble together a pb fleet in the middle of the night on a weeknight. You're right, though our timers are great. 

6 minutes ago, Potemkin said:

We took marsh to get to secret island...

lol, not the first time you flipped it.  But you're right, the Russians are totally above reproach when it comes to the use of alts... (see how that feels) 🙄

7 minutes ago, Potemkin said:

I dont think we'd have this many ports if there were more players but it was my understanding that we were trying to provoke fights

Come on, you know that's gaslighting bullshit. You have that many ports because you were up the earliest and locked down almost every free-port available port battle before anyone else had a chance.  I'm not begruding you that, since it shows good organization and motivation, but it wasn't to get fights. You flipped half the map precisely to set up strongholds through county capitals that prevent anyone trying to bring the fight to you.

Again, I'm not questioning you or the meta, but the mechanics are strangely in your favor on this one and you're not questioning whether they make for a better overall game, motivating more player participation and RvR, right?  It's just the way it is and you'll happily go forth with your fleets of alts doing your AFK trade runs and fishing to pay for your chain of county capitals that protect your interests.

And yet you begrudge other players in time zones outside your own trying to generate a little content for themselves when a weak opponent is the only opponent they have, primarily because of those timers that you so enjoy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Potemkin said:

Toxic rvr? Yeah we know, remember when you got your asses booted to another server?

hmm?  Global server was created as a result of night flips.  Not a war between WO and VCO...who happened to be in the same nation at the time.  

1 hour ago, Potemkin said:

Its funny though, you guys didnt have any problems being a zerg when you went russia, you didnt seem to have a problem playing at normal hours (not 9pm-1am US time only on weeknights) and you guys even offered to nightflip for us against nations that you knew couldnt defend at those times. 

What's funny is I seem to remember you kissing our ass in Russia.  You were quite the good boy on TS.  Oh how times change.
VCO also left Russia only a handful of us were able to do content during EU hours, most of those went and  re-created 7up in Spain....which is where you ran off too for a while if you recall.... until you got smashed by us at Key West.  

I get you got an axe to grind.  It's ok.  but you just come across as bitter, it's a bad look.

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

And yet you begrudge other players in time zones outside your own trying to generate a little content for themselves when a weak opponent is the only opponent they have, primarily because of those timers that you so enjoy.

If you wanted content why attack in a time thats going to minimize players from east coast, central, and rocky mountain timezones? Why do it on a monday night? 

As for the map i think we all know that when you get this big with 9% of the server pop you're gonna get multiflipped at some point and to be honest, if the attacker gets through screening, which isnt hard to do these days, the weather guage will be theirs to lose. Plus, in case you haven't noticed, fortifications dont last very long in a pb with even semi competent mortarmen so i dont get the whole unstoppable zerg stronghold argument. Honestly sounds like the way you portrayed the US "woe be me". 

23 minutes ago, Severus Snape said:

hmm?  Global server was created as a result of night flips.  Not a war between WO and VCO...who happened to be in the same nation at the time.  

Thats what i was getting at bud in case you missed it. Nightflips were toxic rvr. As for vco getting whipped by wo repeatedly i dont think anyone really cared beyond the guys frantically creating tribunals against each other. As for not being a douchebag to your clanmates on ts well, sorry? You're welcome to stop by our ts any time if you wanna get abused. I dont know most of your players but ive fought alongside and against several that seem like good people. See you have to understand, im busting your balls on the forums when you or wraith try to justify what you've been doing to the US for two years. Its not really my fight but it passes the time at work and never fails to get a response.

As for key west, well that kinda highlights your only strategy in this game. 12am for me god knows what time for the eu guys, didnt have enough people, more than half our pb fleet made up of guys in their first pb, and we had no requins. The outcome was inevitable really. The sad part is, you guys wont ever have a real opponent to face, and tbh even a loss against a great enemy fleet is better than clubbing seals with a 2 to 1 numbers advantage while completely outclassing their fleet composition. I honestly feel bad for your players i really do.

Edited by Potemkin

12 minutes ago, Potemkin said:

If you wanted content why attack in a time thats going to minimize players from east coast, central, and rocky mountain timezones? Why do it on a monday night? 

As I said before, to avoid the eventual day-time timer that the U.S. will use (see Savannah) to protect it.  The only reason it didn't have a timer on it was because we pulled missions on it the minute hostility was available to be generated. How is this hard to understand?

Since you're using it to your advantage I can understand that you don't want to acknowledge it as a failing, but under the current system all a nation has to do to protect it's assets behind a chain of County Capitals is set a timer outside its rivals' prime time on a single port. This is a poor implementation of the front line concept, and everyone knows it is a byproduct of an interaction with the timer system.

Front lines are good. Timers are good. The combination of them is problematic and can be solved by successful, successive raids making timer costs go up continually until a nation decides it's either too expensive and they push back or they drop the timer and let a port battle happen.

Edited by Wraith

16 minutes ago, Potemkin said:

As for the map i think we all know that when you get this big with 9% of the server pop you're gonna get multiflipped at some point and to be honest, if the attacker gets through screening, which isnt hard to do these days, the weather guage will be theirs to lose. Plus, in case you haven't noticed, fortifications dont last very long in a pb with even semi competent mortarmen so i dont get the whole unstoppable zerg stronghold argument. Honestly sounds like the way you portrayed the US "woe be me". 

You actually think anybody is going to attack you? Think you misread the game right now. 

I will be surpriced if there will be any attempt to take any of your ports. Right now most ppl just don’t agree with how the game works. So they don’t care. 

Just now, Routan said:

You actually think anybody is going to attack you? Think you misread the game right now. 

I will be surpriced if there will be any attempt to take any of your ports. Right now most ppl just don’t agree with how the game works. So they don’t 

I guess the swedes are the only ones left with balls then. Either way pvp zones have been fun im cool with that till i run outa ships.

Just now, Potemkin said:

I guess the swedes are the only ones left with balls then. Either way pvp zones have been fun im cool with that till i run outa ships.

Glad you have fun. Personally I dont think the game will be fun in the long run, if nobody wants to play it. The short answer imo is the gameplay right now just dont work, since so few actually care.

“Only one with balls”.Well Sweden have kotballer, not many Nations have. If you ment it as a provocation, Well it is about 40 since I grew up. Mama jokes neither work.

Just now, Routan said:

Glad you have fun. Personally I dont think the game will be fun in the long run, if nobody wants to play it. The short answer imo is the gameplay right now just dont work, since so few actually care.

“Only one with balls”.Well Sweden have kotballer, not many Nations have. If you ment it as a provocation, Well it is about 40 since I grew up. Mama jokes neither work.

No i was referring to sweden defending deshais the other day, it was a fun fight. 

7 minutes ago, Potemkin said:

Just now, Routan said:

to be fair, the Swedes only have so much fight in them until you lose key ports. it's like every nation, including the US now. you take the high invested ports and you lose all the groups you were planning to "continue" to fight.

you lose that port you invested everything into? You're pretty much 100% done and out of the RvR game forever (until someone nice enough gives it back)

a Nice player made Diplomacy would be cool with Wars/Peace, surrender, trade and whatever - but that's not what this thread is about.

Port Timer Problem is a fake-crisis. Attack the port in the time that the defender creates. Or don't, your choice. The Biggest detriment to "I'm not getting the fights I want" Is NOT because of timers, but because of people not wanting to fight one another.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Teutonic said:

Port Timer Problem is a fake-crisis. Attack the port in the time that the defender creates. Or don't, your choice. The Biggest detriment to "I'm not getting the fights I want" Is NOT because of timers, but because of people not wanting to fight one another.

If that port is close to your capital / core area and hidden by timer you might think different.

I think we should apply at the holy Pope to declare earth as flat disc. Sun, moon and stars are only candles on the ceiling and one of the arch angels gets the light switch. All people thinking other than the holy decree shall be punished by the courts of holy inquisition.

Problem solved!

☠️

It's a boring discussion