Game-Labs Forum

The Timer Problem

I think the current timer system is a bad choice..

Problem

Make timers cheap or without cost there will be much ports locked by timers.

Make timers expensive will make less blocked ports but more night flips. Removing timers would make much more night flips.

Whatever you do, the result isn't good. Now some guys can say: "Yes we need US Timezone Server and EU Timeszone Server". But that would not guarantee that players play on EU servers at us timezone and ruin the RvR for the EU time based players. Additionally it would split up the server population. 

Suggestion

Because of that i can't understand why not..

bring static timers? Let's say the west part of the map (currently more ore less uninteresting for RvR) at static US timezone timers and the eastern side the EU time Zone timers (or more variations). That would keep the players at one server, removes nightflips and blocked ports by players. Of Course there should be more different nations available in the west part of the map. US based Players playing in denmark norge for example could conquer the western parts of the map starting at a free port, so every nation is playable at all parts of the map. 

discuss

Edited by Sven Silberbart
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Koveras said:

Regional servers with fixed timers. Easy solution, it's been tested, and it worked.

my suggestions is the same, but at one server. But 2 Servers with static timers should solve the problem. But do not support low Pop.

Edited by Sven Silberbart

1 hour ago, Severus Snape said:

There are less than 10 US timer ports on the map currently.  Not really a problem.  

I disagree. 2 GB regional capitals bordering to Russia front lines just happens to have 02.00 - 05.00 defence timers. This basically prevent Russia to move forwards on these front lines. So we are locked in place. Region county = Portobelo and Port-au-Prince.

Imo they are obviously used to AVOID COMBAT and that is a real exploit.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Tiedemann said:

I disagree. 2 GB regional capitals bordering to Russia front lines just happens to have 02.00 - 05.00 defence timers. This basically prevent Russia to move forwards on these front lines. So we are locked in place. Region county = Portobelo and Port-au-Prince.

lets turn it another way.

Russian Timers are 16-19 and 17-20. This basically prevents US players from moving forward on these front lines.

Obviously an exploit because they won't fight me in my time zone.

-----------------------------

so, now that we have that established. You can get friends in that timezone, or you can attack those ports within that timer.

If I recall correctly it didn't seem to be too much of a problem when you attacked the secret Island to take it from the French? what's the issue now?

Edited by Teutonic
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

16-19 and 17-20

1st segment is still at office hours in GMT -or- BST time, second is pretty much dead on late office and dinner/family real estate.

damn this round earth

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

1st segment is still at office hours in GMT -or- BST time, second is pretty much dead on late office and dinner/family real estate.

damn this round earth

d7175fbbf424e66af050fab0ee8feb09c2a2b7d1

Think about it for a second.....

• Like 4

Timers are garbage and will always be abused.

Solution: EU timers only since its an EU server. Sadly this wont happen so what about:

Add regions within the map with specific timer windows. This way each timezone will fight each other and cannot abuse the timer anymore.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Father of Dragons said:

Timers are garbage and will always be abused.

Solution: EU timers only since its an EU server. Sadly this wont happen so what about:

Add regions within the map with specific timer windows. This way each timezone will fight each other and cannot abuse the timer anymore.

Cause not every one has the same times of when they can be on.  I'm 3rd shift so my times online is after work in the morning and early eve before I go to work. I actually keep more time with SEA/AU and some EU players.  Though I live in the US, but why should I be forced to only play one part of the map?   

2 hours ago, Tiedemann said:

Maybe Russia shouldn't be spread out all over the place?   Ya'll don't have to own every region around you, infarct I'm going to bet ya'll will loose a lot more of those ports soon to come when every one gets settled in with there current ports and need a direction to go.  Can't be every where after all now can ya'll?  I mean didn't ya'll grab all those ports in the first place cause your nation play time is right after reset and you had first dibs to things?  you won't have that when the game is released and wipe cause you will be flipping 1st rate ports with 5/6th rates....better choice your ports wisely.

4 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Cause not every one has the same times of when they can be on.  I'm 3rd shift so my times online is after work in the morning and early eve before I go to work. I actually keep more time with SEA/AU and some EU players.  Though I live in the US, but why should I be forced to only play one part of the map?

Thats great, you can play at anytime you want, there is always some region with action!

Do you have a better solution to the timer problem or are you saying timers are not getting abused and are no problem? Also the map is too big anyway, I dont see the problem from splitting it up in 3 regions or something like this. Also you can be in every part at any time as it is just for RvR.

Edited by Father of Dragons

Timers will never work.... You cannot fix what is fundamentally flawed. War, war isn't stifled by timers. You go when you go, there is no wait for the ENEMY to be ready.
Flags? Flags could be made to work, maybe a whole new system could be made, but timers will not be made to fit within the essence of war because timers do not belong there.
Or you can accept defeat and do the static timers for US/EU and have constant reminder of what couldn't be achieved, a global war server.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tiedemann said:

Im pretty sure that BAIT is US clan

• Like 4

Cut off PBs at 00:00 server time (8pm US East) and give the minority "i dont have a choice my primetime is 12am" jackasses global back. They killed off pvp2, global, and will go to work on killing this one if given the chance. Let em play on the weekends if they wanna stay, and get those coffee machines a brewin.

Hahahaha i just like hello kittying with the blowhards. Its funny though when you of all people tell people to use timers like they're supposed to be used like you guys are standing on the moral high ground, now thats a joke. I think you guys are just afraid it'll end up being only VCO and WO all alone on your own server.

Edited by Potemkin

An European player can not play in the same battle as an American player ... simply because they have different schedules ... it's that simple ........ Trying to ignore this, brings us to the Same recurring discussion once again ..........
I imagine that it is simply due to the lack of players, and I hope that with the launch, and many more players as expected, they decide to open two servers with two different schedules. If this does not happen, the game will fall drastically in the number of players at the first exchange, and this we know because it has already happened .....

Edited by Alvar Fañez de Minaya

3 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

Just like multiflips then.

Multiflips are in my experience used to increase the odds for attacking pb fleet to get into pbs, by avoiding defending screening fleet. When multiflips are used against a nation that can not fill all pbs, then I agree that is a way to avoid combat. But defenders still have to decide where they defend, if they not defend  a single pb, then they have an issue..

Still GB has the most players of any nation. Not long ago GB where multi flipping Spain and then Pussia. So get that finger out of my face, so grab your balls and fight! We all have ships to lose before the wipe! :P