Game-Labs Forum
rediii

Impossible nations starting port

5 minutes ago, rediii said:

well hello kitty you guys. Everyone is looking at conquest while the problem is that players will already quit in the first week because they cant even leave shroud and get ganked by requins, hercs etc.

have fun in my topic

bb

Spare us the hello kitty talk and answer me one question: What has a new player to expect when chosing impossible?

7 minutes ago, Genevieve Malfleurs said:

Spare us the hello kitty talk and answer me one question: What has a new player to expect when chosing impossible?

his native language     ;-)

that can be the reason the choose a nation

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Genevieve Malfleurs said:

The average NA player doesn't even read or cares about it. They see the flag, they like the flag for various reasons and start in that nation. Most don't read the description.

And just like the majority of the NA community thinks russia cheats or wood makes you win battles or even LO/WO is superior to T/WO they blame the game for not being able to leave shroud and get killed by "OP" DLC ships at shroud from veteran players.

Just like every experienced PvP player knows 90% of NA players, no matter how many hours they played, don't even understand the basic concepts of NA combat mechanics.

So we can either just not care and lose players in the first days already or we think about a good way to deal with that and maybe don't lose these players in the first days.

You guys think about a balanced conquest system too much. Just attack and grab ports from players later its more fun anyway

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genevieve Malfleurs said:

Isn´t exactely that part of being an "impossible" nation? ;)

People tend to use this argument for every improvement suggested for those nations.

Making nation impossible would literally mean your game crashes and uninstalls once you choose the nation. After all - you wanted impossible, you got it. 

I guess impossible doesn't have to be unplayable though. It shouldn't be inconvenient or not feasible, just hard.

• Like 4

First bit of advice everyone should get at the start of the game is to sail far away from Shroud Cay. 

13 minutes ago, Genevieve Malfleurs said:

As has been said, people choose a FLAG, and maybe choose a part of the map.  Just about nobody cares about the blurb with the obviously silly "impossible" tag on it.  (all the more silly since the current zerg is supposedly "impossible") 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rediii said:

The average NA player doesn't even read or cares about it. They see the flag, they like the flag for various reasons and start in that nation. Most don't read the description.

And just like the majority of the NA community thinks russia cheats or wood makes you win battles or even LO/WO is superior to T/WO they blame the game for not being able to leave shroud and get killed by "OP" DLC ships at shroud from veteran players.

Just like every experienced PvP player knows 90% of NA players, no matter how many hours they played, don't even understand the basic concepts of NA combat mechanics.

So we can either just not care and lose players in the first days already or we think about a good way to deal with that and maybe don't lose these players in the first days.

You guys think about a balanced conquest system too much. Just attack and grab ports from players later its more fun anyway

I see. You seem to know the average player and his skills very well. Maybe you can suggest him or her to read about content before klicking. But of course some kind of stupid arrogance I tend to locate in people who do not read. All the best wishes, Gene

19 minutes ago, rediii said:

If you are talking about first week

Yes this will be a mess around shroud. Fun exciting mess of people sinking each other never leaving battles starting from cutters, brigs, pandoras, hercs and light corvettes. Those who get tired of this will sail out to free towns or will do missions. Battles are open for 20 mins, ganking will be a lesser problem around shroud - and you will always find fights.

First impression will be non-stop PvP - not sure if it is bad. Just like it was on release (where we had NO capital waters and no protections at all) there will be lots of battles where you see other people.

During this time others will be doing RVR setting up bases. We already had shroud as a starting area for these nations for a very long time - in 2-3 weeks they will ask in chat what to do and sail to national waters (like it was for the last 6 months).  And then it will all come back to normal again, but people will most fondly remember this starting mess.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Barbancourt said:

First bit of advice everyone should get at the start of the game is to sail far away from Shroud Cay. 

Fair enough but how should new players know if they are spawned there? They think it is where they are supposed to be and even if they find out by asking etc. , I wish them good luck on their hour long journey to a place where they can actually play the game, that is if they can escape the ganker screen around shroud made up by dozens of sealclubbers.

Impossible shouldn't mean unplayable for new players and as mentioned already some choose it for the flag or nation. If you are a russian dude chances are you want to play russian empire for the language alone.

3 hours ago, rediii said:

Am I the only one who thinks it will be a huge chaos for all impossible nation starters at release?

At release we all start from 0. That also means that all starting players for russia, poland and prussia start in the same port. The result will be that the nation with the most starting players will kill the nations with less players at the beginning because everyone spawns in at the same port.

Suggestion:

Either give impossible nation starters the choice at which freeport they want to spawn in or

give russia/poland/russia different starting free ports or

(worst suggestion) randomize it at which freeport they spawn in. (bad because you split friends joining the game together)

I don´t understand why you predict chaotic circumstances at the beginning. All of us will start in cutters. Any nation/clan can decide where to start from. Really don´t see an issue here.

A clan can start in Dariena or Tumbado, Aves or La Mona or La Tortue. Just need to sail over there, no?

15 minutes ago, rediii said:

well as I agree on new players but in matter of conquest/RvR I see the current system flawed. With 20-25k BR only the biggest clans and nations will dominate RvR, others can't even fill the PB.

As playing Prussia from its start, I know new players tend to go where they can see a prussian port from shroud. If there is none they might not even consider staying. And if the nation is in trouble people either switch nation or stop playing as happened after the downfall of Portobello. So every nation, should have a fair chance to conquer a port. But the current RvR favours the zergs and creates bottle necks which will cut off large portions of the map to nations and clans which dont even need them all, excluding others from having anything at all.

6 minutes ago, admin said:

First impression will be non-stop PvP - not sure if it is bad. Just like it was on release (where we had NO capital waters and no protections at all) there will be lots of battles where you see other people.

I hope you are right but I can see it being very frustrating for a new player that does not even know how to fight, when he is attacked over and over unable to leave the area. At least they won't be punished too hard as long as they stay in Basic Cutter but I doubt it will be a pleasant experience for them.

For veterans on the other hand it will be awesome, no doubt.

Being concerned about the new players experience is a good thing, not quite sure it merits as much condescension as it is getting.

It's often the case that a new player will pick his own nation or a nation whose language he speaks , if he doesn't know anybody else playing. I think 99% of players don't read the terms and conditions of any game they load up, they click to say they have and dive right in. Will they understand what "impossible nation " really means at release ? At least they won't have much xp to lose on day 3 of getting ganked when they decide to delete that character and start again on one of the easy nations

one thing is for certain, new players are going to get slaughtered early on if they pick impossible nation. The vets will be too busy to bother trying to help anybody not in their clan

People saying, "we will all be in basic cutters"  ... not for long. Tutorial rewards and away in the DLC's ..

fewer impossible nations would be better imho

2 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

I hope you are right but I can see it being very frustrating for a new player that does not even know how to fight, when he is attacked over and over unable to leave the area. At least they won't be punished too hard as long as they stay in Basic Cutter but I doubt it will be a pleasant experience for them.

For veterans on the other hand it will be awesome, no doubt.

Not sure if it´ll be awesome. But I am sure that every new player - with release or later - has to have  a certain resistance against frustration. Because he will be attacked over and over again. Just like it is now at Kingsport, at Charleston ...

55 minutes ago, rediii said:

The problem I wanted to point at is that 3 nations of x00 players start at the same time the same day in shroud at release

You have the solution in your problem. Leave Shroud, what´s the problem?

• Like 1

If there could be at least option to list some of discord links when the new player choose the nation, so we could guide them a bit.

I'm afraid we'll loose plenty of people, even before I will notice their names...

And yes, the idea of choosing the port would be interesting - but there is one problem.
Only in Shroud Cay the new players will find missions and NPC suiting their level... So sailing away from there isn't really an option.

Edited by OjK

1 minute ago, Hawkwood said:

You have the solution in your problem. Leave Shroud, what´s the problem?

Players completely new to the game will probably stick around where they start. I agree with Z4ys, maybe if you choose impossible nation, you need to confirm it before starting your character.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, vazco said:

People tend to use this argument for every improvement suggested for those nations.

Making nation impossible would literally mean your game crashes and uninstalls once you choose the nation. After all - you wanted impossible, you got it. 

I guess impossible doesn't have to be unplayable though. It shouldn't be inconvenient or not feasible, just hard.

Yes, surprisingly I take the wording literally. Why these descriptions when in reality it is just as easy or hard for all?

52 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

his native language     😉

that can be the reason the choose a nation

Aha. I finally understood why so many friendly Italians, Poles, Germans, Chinese, Portuguese and who knows who all sail alltogether with us "Brits" having fun :)

32 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

Fair enough but how should new players know if they are spawned there? They think it is where they are supposed to be and even if they find out by asking etc. , I wish them good luck on their hour long journey to a place where they can actually play the game, that is if they can escape the ganker screen around shroud made up by dozens of sealclubbers.

Impossible shouldn't mean unplayable for new players and as mentioned already some choose it for the flag or nation. If you are a russian dude chances are you want to play russian empire for the language alone.

Don´t know if you started a new character lately. I did and noticed a klickable manual on port screeen with basic desprriptions. It will help a fresh player a lot to read these little texts.

3 hours ago, rediii said:

Am I the only one who thinks it will be a huge chaos for all impossible nation starters at release?

At release we all start from 0. That also means that all starting players for russia, poland and prussia start in the same port. The result will be that the nation with the most starting players will kill the nations with less players at the beginning because everyone spawns in at the same port.

Suggestion:

Either give impossible nation starters the choice at which freeport they want to spawn in or

give russia/poland/russia different starting free ports or

(worst suggestion) randomize it at which freeport they spawn in. (bad because you split friends joining the game together)

I agree that new players will have a tough time starting in those three nations.  I'd say that it is even too tough for the majority of new players now.  Simple solution....cannot join the 3 nations until Post captain (screams of alts ignored..).

If i‘m a new player and the first thing i do is to join a nation with the difficulty impossible don‘t you think that‘s exactly what is supposed to happen? They gonna move on and restart in a more easy nation to see if it is any different.

3 minutes ago, Pada said:

If i‘m a new player and the first thing i do is to join a nation with the difficulty impossible don‘t you think that‘s exactly what is supposed to happen? They gonna move on and restart in a more easy nation to see if it is any different.

However, if they learn the game, and if they would like to go back to impossible nation, they cannot - unless they pay for DLC.
It's not a problem to start over when You have nothing yet, but after few weeks, they won't be that happy to start over again, just to go back to impossible nation.

52 minutes ago, Hawkwood said:

A clan can start in Dariena or Tumbado, Aves or La Mona or La Tortue. Just need to sail over there, no?

They can't if they start with Basic Cutters, and those ports spawns missions for higher rates.

What are they gonna do over there?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OjK said:

If there could be at least option to list some of discord links when the new player choose the nation, so we could guide them a bit.

I'm afraid we'll loose plenty of people, even before I will notice their names...

And yes, the idea of choosing the port would be interesting - but there is one problem.
Only in Shroud Cay the new players will find missions and NPC suiting their level... So sailing away from there isn't really an option.

As well as only from Shroud a new player might find a first fair pvp against another newbie in the same situation but for a different "impossible" nation, no?

Wish I would have had that. Instead of being drawn in a real maelstrom in kpr bay right from the start.

7 minutes ago, Pada said:

GgeJM6c.png

1 minute ago, OjK said:

However, if they learn the game, and if they would like to go back to impossible nation, they cannot - unless they pay for DLC.
It's not a problem to start over when You have nothing yet, but after few weeks, they won't be that happy to start over again, just to go back to impossible nation.

They can't if they start with Basic Cutters, and those ports spawns missions for higher rates.

What are they gonna do over there?

Just need to add these missions there and all is solved.