Game-Labs Forum

One Last Chance to Rein in Woods and Mods....

Soooo.....

Now that we are approaching a finalized set of game mechanics, complete with some cool new Port Mechanics, I feel like we need to address the issue of "Bonuses" in Woods and Mods and Books once and for all.

With the addition of specialized crafting facilities in upgraded ports, I'm extremely concerned about the return of "Franken-ships" of the past.  Speed-capped SOL's and impenetrable frigates, etc....

Couple some of these Rig -refits with this:

aed66535ebf834dc7f025b1a5064456b.png

and add in some of the bonuses from the new port mechanics and you can see that some serious craziness MAY occur.

May I suggest a serious re-examination of bonuses and their ability to be stacked and/capped?  I would also suggest an immediate 50% reduction in ALL bonuses, ranging from Woods to boarding mods to rig refits.  I fully understand that all games have a "meta" and am finally at peace with the concept of "mods" over an officer system.  However, I feel that the mod bonuses are just a bit too high at the moment.

Currently, if you're not sailing with Elite Pirate, Cartagena and carros (or poods), you're just fodder for someone who is.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

• Like 18

21 minutes ago, toblerone said:

So, since Devs are talking about "massive" nerf, I guess this means that also the incredibly long and boring grind for books is gone with the wind.

not necessarily. that would be just fine to me. many people love to grind, that's ok. being forced to grind because the mods are absolutely necessary, that's not (imo). so if there are to be mods, cosmetic or very light boosts (or ideally just variation with very subtle pros and cons) are definitely the way to go, the grind then isn't an issue at all, you can skip it.

Edited by znôrt
  • Like 1

Ok..............

So looking at the Port Infrastructure crafting bonuses, I THINK I like it, since it simulates having a good/better/best ship shipbuilder, (kind of historical, nice) BUT......

1) With the bonuses, you can pretty much completely get rid of other mods and perms

2) Cap the bonuses at a reasonable %

3) Make the port bonuses have a "per ship" cost in addition to having the cost to upgrade the shipyard.

That being said, I really like the graphical implementation.  It looks great!  

And I've always wanted the ships to be differentiated at the point of building rather than applying some sort of magical bonus at a later date.

Bottom Line:  If you can stack elite rigs with a level 4 port bonus (see pic) ship, you're gonna have some seriously weird sailing ships.

Bonus.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Genevieve Malfleurs said:

As far as I could see the clan who owns the port can allow to various groups the benefits of it.

It would be nice to ride on the coat tails of the big boys but that's a little unfair to them.  I'm hoping that we all have our own investment screen and can choose (and pay) how we want it's benefits. 

overall bonus balance is under review
accel/decel bonuses are ok even at 15% as the base accel/decel will decrease significantly on one of the next small patches with upgrade rebalance

and we agree with vernon - most bonuses should come from shipbuilding

• Like 7

i think all the perm,trim and also wood need a serius nerf

every ship must have a chance in fight and if we go in this way i see no chance for a normal ship to even be able to worry a trimmed one.

of course this is just my opinion but i see a future with hundred of super 1st rate that even a nuclear frigate can't sink

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Looks great.  Does this apply to everyone who uses the port or does each individual have his own investment menu?

12 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Good question!

Clan and alliance invests in shipbuilding bonuses and reaps the rewards. Previously there was no benefit in joining the alliance and holding and capturing ports - now there is. 

For smart un-allied pvp oriented clans it is more beneficial to wait for some ports to be developed by others and then capture them reaping most rewards for almost free. (as investments do not drop completely on capture - only partially)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, admin said:

Clan and alliance invests in shipbuilding bonuses and reaps the rewards. Previously there was no benefit in joining the alliance and holding and capturing ports - now there is. 

For smart un-allied pvp oriented clans it is more beneficial to wait for some ports to be developed by others and then capture them reaping most rewards for almost free. (as investments do not drop completely on capture - only partially)

By the way: Just a little thank you for the almost instant answers and efforts!

• Like 2