Game-Labs Forum

Forged Papers Name-Change History

Please add a name change history. If a captain has changed names there should be a drop-down or similar in the player info card (when you search for someone or right click them in your friend list), listing previous names. 
Forged Papers should allow you to change the name you go by, or how it is spelled, but not for players caught exploiting or spying to become anonymous again. 
It is annoying when some players change name every 30 days, and there is no way you can keep track of them. And many people have forged papers on their alts to move them around between nations as needed. But this also allows them to change name if they are found out. There should be a way to find out that the new name you see pop up in nation chat is actually the same player you had a confrontation with earlier, or that was called out for cheating somebody in a trade transaction.
For anyone changing name because they got tired of their old name, or because they have grown some creativity since they bought the game and named themselves "Captain J4ck Sparrow III», this change should be inconsequential. For anyone using name-change to escape notoriety, this should make it harder. 
The only way to wipe your name-change history clean should be to delete and recreate your character and regrind.

Since we should all start with a clean sheet at release, name change history should be wiped with the rest in the final wipe.
Edited by Anolytic
  • Like 17

But but but, all that money!

What portion of the forged paper purchasers do you think use it to fix/change their name for the same of preference or roleplaying? I reckon the alt/spy/scam/troll count is waaay higher. Gotta love games that monetize such things - opt out of the economy, opt in for that stuff! Wonderful!

3 minutes ago, shunt said:

agreed forged papers should allow you to change nation and name if you want to for lots of reasons ... but ex-ploiting the game or been toxing and then gaining a fresh identity shouldnt be one of them

I agree aswell, I change name alot. Not to hide my identity but because i just like to change it around some, usually when I change nation to make my name more fitting. 

I.E named Costa de Castilla for me good when spanish but would be weird if change to for example Prussia.

What about simply giving the option to display the steam account ID or some other unique number for every account, instead of dealing with a dozen names? Make it so the player card displays a unique account ID. This would also allow to add other enemy players on steam, if the steam ID is used.

Edited by Sovereign

5 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

What about simply giving the option to display the steam account ID or some other unique number for every account, instead of dealing with a dozen names? Make it so the player card displays a unique account ID. This would also allow to add other enemy players on steam, if the steam ID is used.

how does that help ?  unless you keep your own spreadsheet of every players account id and names

all there needs to be in the players find function is a record of previous names

Edited by shunt

Toxic players often get added to ignore. The ignore function keeps track on any of their name changes

Up to the devs to keep track of transgressors, not the playerbase IMHO. We all know many of the trouble makers but it isn't up to us to police it

I feel certain the devs will want to allow second chances though , they have let many total retards return to the forums after their bad behaviour or ignored the obvious forum alt accounts as long as I have been here

• Like 4

1 hour ago, shunt said:

how does that help ?  unless you keep your own spreadsheet of every players account id and names

all there needs to be in the players find function is a record of previous names

How does it help to have a record of previous names when someone else can take a name once it is not used anymore? It only clutters everything up. You can report a player with his ID to deal with exploiters / griefers and other players violating the rules, isn't this what the topic is about? If you have an unique ID for every account it is more useful in this regard, as nobody else can use it.

6 hours ago, Vizzini said:

Toxic players often get added to ignore. The ignore function keeps track on any of their name changes

This would have been my suggestion.  I didn't know that NA had already implemented it.  Nice to know if I ignore someone I will continue to ignore them even after they have changed their name. 

Too bad ignore does not work within a battle instance.   When we ignore a player it should apply to ALL communication. (OW, Battle, PMs, Mail).

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Anolytic said:
Please add a name change history. If a captain has changed names there should be a drop-down or similar in the player info card (when you search for someone or right click them in your friend list), listing previous names. 
Forged Papers should allow you to change the name you go by, or how it is spelled, but not for players caught exploiting or spying to become anonymous again. 
It is annoying when some players change name every 30 days, and there is no way you can keep track of them. And many people have forged papers on their alts to move them around between nations as needed. But this also allows them to change name if they are found out. There should be a way to find out that the new name you see pop up in nation chat is actually the same player you had a confrontation with earlier, or that was called out for cheating somebody in a trade transaction.
For anyone changing name because they got tired of their old name, or because they have grown some creativity since they bought the game and named themselves "Captain J4ck Sparrow III», this change should be inconsequential. For anyone using name-change to escape notoriety, this should make it harder. 
The only way to wipe your name-change history clean should be to delete and recreate your character and regrind.

I see your point, however, I use the name change forger DLC to disappear and start in a faction, then I go pirate and attack their shipping, if this is done, my nitch way of playing the game will be destroyed, I don't do it to be  a pain mind you. I do this because this is a good way to represent true piracy in game... and I love it.

This suggestion you have made should only be applied to friendly nationals, not enemy faction. For same faction it works, but enemy faction is redundant.

Three cheers for the frigates and their gallant Captains. :)

Edited by LIONOFWALES
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

Best way to keep track of someone is to put them on ignore list, then you can see what they change their name to.

I have half of rats in my ignore list, how do I know who's who lmao?

• Like 2

I don't like that idea. Forged papers create a new identity. With how toxic the game can get there's nothing wrong with being able to start over anonymously.

I for one started over in GB with a new name when this came out and have successfully been hiding with this new identity for over a year as a leader of a famous clan with many active members. Still noone knows who I really am and this would cause great uproar.

So plz don't implement it.

Baity

Edited by Baity McBait Bait mark2
  • Like 3