Game-Labs Forum

Are fake reviews a thing?

Not cool my dudes, seems like someone posted what I would consider a fake steam review under the name Privateer. I've heard reviews can't be removed, so that's sort of lame, but I promise the real Privateer is much cooler. I don't know if this is common or not, might be something for players to look into. I wouldn't have known this review was there unless someone pointed it out to me. I flagged this one on steam, I don't know if that does anything. I would certainly like to see the recent reviews be more positive though and the fake ones aren't helping.

1gxujG4.jpg

Edit: Adding more links so it is clear this is trolling and not a coincidence.

https://i.gyazo.com/1895131576cbe26e4d0b5ff7ed4a6db9.png
https://i.gyazo.com/790c52a7cdda22f568a1b7905e190126.png
https://i.gyazo.com/92b5e1996d7c438d154934d2a29ccbaf.png

idk if this is the right place to post this, admin feel free to move it around

Edited by --Privateer--
Adding more links so it is clear this is trolling and not a coincidence.
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, --Privateer-- said:

Not necessarily, for example my steam name is Lord Admiral Privateer.

So why would people think that the review was from you? 

You have chosen a name that would be quite common in a naval game from this period and there is nothing to stop others using this name. So according to your logic anyone who posts using the name Lord, Admiral or Privateer are impersonating you and posting a fake review?

• Like 1

Just now, Archaos said:

So why would people think that the review was from you? 

You have chosen a name that would be quite common in a naval game from this period and there is nothing to stop others using this name. So according to your logic anyone who posts using the name Lord, Admiral or Privateer are impersonating you and posting a fake review?

Because theres a review by Reverse, Teutonic, Marrius, Powderhorn. I wonder how many people with the same nicknames NA have seen

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beeekonda said:

Because theres a review by Reverse, Teutonic, Marrius, Powderhorn. I wonder how many people with the same nicknames NA have seen

There's no way the real NA players who use these names in game have only 300 hours in game. It seems like fake accounts using in-game names so they appear more credible.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Koveras said:

I dislike the attempt to tarnish the names of other players just because someone is too cowardly to stand forth with their own names

Yeah, that's the main reason for my post. Like I said, I wouldn't have known if someone hadn't pointed it out. I think Reverse, Teutonic, Marrius, Powderhorn, etc. might also appreciate the heads up.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Koveras said:

I refuse to believe that someone who thinks that GameLabs are shitty developers would buy the game again, i.e. giving more money to gamelabs, just to leave another negative review.

It seems like they did exactly that, considering the fake privateer has only 36 hours in game.

17 minutes ago, Koveras said:

As I said - around introduction of the broken promises, the permit walls and the reintroduction of fine woods, we may have seen a batch of negative reviews in part due to the patches and in part due to the bans. However the trend for the past 30 days has been the same, more than a hundred reviews and the game is dropping still. Something is wrong and hiding from the fact isn't going to salvage the game. And ppl still needed to buy the game in order to review it, which means these ppl actually believed in the game so heavily that they were willing to shell out money for more than one account. 1 account = 1 review, same as ever.

We are talking about specific review faking those of real players, not every or any other negative/positive review. 

It is very sad to see it came to this. THIS being en masse forum bans, dirty devs video's and this negative review bombing ... such a pity. This could be such a great game. 

As for negative review bombing, it does seem unfair. Reviews, positive or negative, should be based on own experience and give good reasons. With this said, I wonder how many other games on steam receive such a treatment? If few or hardly any, then it speaks volumes in itself ...

• Like 3

I mean let’s be honest, this game has been “mostly negative” for well over a year.  These 6 or so reviews don’t add much to the overall opinion and most folks with a brain can figure out they are just spam.  It’s also pretty obvious who this is and it probably could have been prevented.  Just saying.

Personally I’d be more upset over a review like this. If I were the developer I’d be asking this guy personally why he’s upset.  https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198056730594/recommended/311310/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, --Privateer-- said:

They look fake to me, copy/paste reviews with 1 product in account

Thanks for showing us this.  I checked out the steam reviews and confirmed that the 6 reviews you showed ... exist.  Too much of a coincidence to be from different people. Could have been alts, I don't agree that it is likely that anyone would; get upset, buy 6 extra accounts, and then put in 300 hours on each, just to leave extra reviews.  More likely someone had 6 accounts, was pissed with the game and posted the one line reviews on each account. 

But regardless.  NA low steam ratings don't appear to be caused from fake accounts.  75% of the last reviews are negative.  I can't find another game with such a poor reputation.  I once posted that I disagreed with the Devs that bad reviews caused poor sales of the game, but that was when there were only 20% of the reviewers not recommending to buy.  I now agree that when 3/4 of all the feedback says the game is shit it may start influencing people to avoid it.

I still like the game.  I left a positive review.  But I'm only here for the sailing and the pretty scenery.

I think the overwhelming number of negative reviews of NA could mean that the game is flawed.

Edited by Macjimm
  • Like 2