Game-Labs Forum

Paying for Weapons in Armory?

Challenge

New to the game, so I'm not sure if this is normal or if my Quartermaster is cheating me...

I picked up a considerable number of Sharps carbines during the fight for the railway station. I thought, since my 1 Division was just a couple of infantry brigades I might want to diversify so I decided to add a horse unit and some dedicated skirmishers to basically defend an gun battery. 150 men for the skirmishers, 150 weapons; I have 244 Sharps in the Armory. I select the weapon it says cost $0, I press "Accept" go back to the number of men screen and it says $5157 cost.

Can someone tell me why I can't use the ones in the Armory? Or do I have to pay for those as well?

I agree that's the most likely explanation.

$5157 sounds like a Brigadier General cost.  If you have no commanders already purchased, the game defaults to the lowest-ranking new commander.  For a skirmisher unit that should be a couple-hundred-dollar Captain.  At size 150 Captain should work fine.  If you beef it up more towards 500 maybe go for a Major.

On a very closely related topic that might also be a problem - for Cavalry units, besides the cost for weapons and a commander, you also must pay $10 per trooper (calculated and applied automatically) for their horses.

Thanks.

After I studied the system for a bit, I had come to the conclusion it may have been for the officer, but the price seemed excessive. The brigade is commanded by a colonel. Not sure if the fact he has high experience would account for that... But I'm not sure I didn't do it by getting experienced troops. I had the money at the time, so I may not have switched back after reinforcing one of my experienced units.

So, probably operator error.