Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Challenge

Paying for Weapons in Armory?

New to the game, so I'm not sure if this is normal or if my Quartermaster is cheating me...

I picked up a considerable number of Sharps carbines during the fight for the railway station. I thought, since my 1 Division was just a couple of infantry brigades I might want to diversify so I decided to add a horse unit and some dedicated skirmishers to basically defend an gun battery. 150 men for the skirmishers, 150 weapons; I have 244 Sharps in the Armory. I select the weapon it says cost $0, I press "Accept" go back to the number of men screen and it says $5157 cost.

Can someone tell me why I can't use the ones in the Armory? Or do I have to pay for those as well?

Most likely you didn't have an officer for the unit - those can be expensive.. If you prefer to use the officer for a different unit you can move change the assignments, u need a spare officer in order to do so tho..

I agree that's the most likely explanation.

$5157 sounds like a Brigadier General cost.  If you have no commanders already purchased, the game defaults to the lowest-ranking new commander.  For a skirmisher unit that should be a couple-hundred-dollar Captain.  At size 150 Captain should work fine.  If you beef it up more towards 500 maybe go for a Major.

On a very closely related topic that might also be a problem - for Cavalry units, besides the cost for weapons and a commander, you also must pay $10 per trooper (calculated and applied automatically) for their horses.

Thanks.

After I studied the system for a bit, I had come to the conclusion it may have been for the officer, but the price seemed excessive. The brigade is commanded by a colonel. Not sure if the fact he has high experience would account for that... But I'm not sure I didn't do it by getting experienced troops. I had the money at the time, so I may not have switched back after reinforcing one of my experienced units.

So, probably operator error.