Game-Labs Forum
William  Death

Port Battles Should End When All Players Are Sunk or Leave

So this evening, we discovered an annoying mechanic. When all enemy players in our port battle had sunk or escaped, the battle didn't end. 

69F57D34A90BE0B88FF859A8BA4B35654F788D20

We feel that once all players on one side of a PB are sunk or escaped, the battle should automatically win. This will encourage fleets to join together and stick around and fight. Otherwise, its a massive waste of time for a fleet to sit there after they sank everyone (or everyone escaped). 

Hopefully this simple mechanic can be slid in the next patch.

EDIT: in case anyone was wondering, they left/were all sunk by around 800 points into the battle. This left us to sail around and look pretty for a few minutes longer (waste of time).

Edited by William Death
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, William Death said:

this simple mechanic

what happens if one of the fleets shows up late? what if you join with a spy alt and leave instantly? instant win?

might not be THAT simple ;)

I always like this idea.. maybe some flaws- 

to win pb, destroy all forts or sink all players.

bring back boarding of forts.

let clan controlled port choose placement of forts as clans can now construct forts with port investments (has to be touching water to allow boarding/ not be exploited)

bombarding port does structural damage to a developed port

i think this will force aggression in pb and give attackers a harder time

Edited by Communism

12 minutes ago, Communism said:

I always like this idea.. maybe some flaws- 

to win pb, destroy all forts or sink all players.

bring back boarding of forts.

let clan controlled port choose placement of forts (has to be touching water for boarding/ exploiting)

bombarding port does structural damage to a developed port

IMO Its should be player controlled forts, people could equip them with mortars to counter mortar brigs. Make them hard to defeat and combined with flags i think it would be an awesome mechanic where maybe 5 good players in forts could defeat a full 25 man fleet. I mean its not like it was sent a letter to the enemy nation that their port x would be attacked at y o'clock. Battle of Cartagena as example ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cartagena_de_Indias ), where 6 spanish sols + shore batteries defeated a fleet of over 100 british warships

While I like the idea of player controlled emplacements, AI forts don’t need any more advantages.

After the recent buff it’s taking around 200 hits to kill a fort from a MB, which in my opinion is too much. Combined with a buff on accuracy, range, and damage the fort will have you under fire at anything other than the very extreme of the MB firing range, which only reinforces the meta to use a counter mortar brig.

By doing so, you basically ensure the MBs are occupied taking potshots at each other, rather than bombarding land targets, which just doesn’t seem realistic (or like good game play) to me? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Durin said:

what happens if one of the fleets shows up late? what if you join with a spy alt and leave instantly? instant win?

might not be THAT simple ;)

There is a 30 minute timer for the fleet, in case they're late. Nothing will happen differently in the PB unless the enemy joins and then leaves, or gets sunk. If they never join, the battle *should* go on until the join timer for the enemy side is up, then insta-win for the side with players in the PB. (thats the way it should happen, what actually happens is one side has to get to 1000 points, which isn't hard to do in 30 minutes with no opposition). 

If you join with a spy alt, thats 100% on the clan that allowed an alt into their ranks, and/or on the clan that added to friendly list an alt clan. Game mechanics have allowed us to completely exclude alts from port battles, so the only excuse for one to get in is the clan's incompetence.

Its that simple.

6 hours ago, Palatinose said:

What was the timer?

I don't remember the exact time, maybe 25 minutes into the battle...

Anyways, point is, when all players on one side sink/escape, they should insta-lose, regardless of how late/early it is in the PB.

By your timer count. Players could still enter and brits still had BR to add.

There would still have been 5 minutes before an "insta win" which you were getting to 1,000 points anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, William Death said:

I don't remember the exact time, maybe 25 minutes into the battle...

Anyways, point is, when all players on one side sink/escape, they should insta-lose, regardless of how late/early it is in the PB.

@Teutonics answer is correct. You can't insta win a battle when the enemy is still able to join. I'm pretty certain battle is won automatically when join timer is over and all enemies are sunk. No guaranty of course ;)

Yes, that's the point.

When all players sink/escape, battle should end, regardless if the join timer is still open. A fleet should join together (or within a few minutes of each other). Sending half a fleet in, escaping/sinking, then sending the other half in makes little/no sense, and mechanics shouldn't allow it.

So yes, they could have joined a few more ships, but realistically, they weren't going to do that, or they would have joined all at once to fight. Why waste time waiting for more to join, when it was already made clear that the fleet didn't wish to fight?

I'm NOT suggesting that join timer be reduced, mind you. Its fine if a fleet is delayed because of screening, late log ins, etc.... but what I don't like is wasted time watching points tick up after you already sank/ran off all the ships that joined. 

Maybe so.

But in the current iteration a port battle is not won until 1,000 points or timer ends. The extra 2 minutes you sat in the pb to get to there isn't really wasted time in the grand scheme of how slow this game normally operates anyway.

I'd agree to a suggestion to add a hard win factor like the old PBs - you kill the fort/towers and if enemy leaves or sinks you instantly win regardless of points after the 30 minute join timer has ended.

• Like 1