Game-Labs Forum

Remove Crew gain from Exams

Boy i probably gonna get a lot of hate for this Suggestion but here it is.

Every time the Wipe is mentioned  the argue is "veterans will do the Exam in two hours, switch to their Herc's and Pandora an rage every newb."

True that, but just remove the Crew gain of the exams and replace. It with something else. More Ships, upgrades etc.

Veterans will still be faster in lvl then new players, but it wont be as extrem

@admin

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Meraun said:

Every time the Wipe is mentioned  the argue is "veterans will do the Exam in two hours, switch to their Herc's and Pandora an rage every newb."

True that, but just remove the Crew gain of the exams and replace. It with something else. More Ships, upgrades etc.

@admin

lol..brace yourself

I see his point, even though i'm against it.  The people who are capable of doing it will be at 280 crew right away, while the people who can't, will have to grind up the ranks first.  The flaw in the logic is that i'm not really sure how many new players will be seen on day one...so why worry about it.  It would take me less than a week to grind up to M&C and some would do it in a day.

1 minute ago, Liberalism said:

Veterans can still reach M&C within 2 hours. Go out in cutter, kill LGV. Takes less than 10 minutes to do. Let's look from different perspective, are veterans the real issue here or the DLC ships?

I'm such a noob.  How TF do you kill an LGV with a cutter in 10 mins??

DLC ships will be a problem in that: anyone who has crew size can buy or craft a 5th rate no problem, but he will face a DLC ship made from premium woods.

This is a terrible idea that will hurt new players more than help them. 

Ask yourself why such a shortcut to Master and Commander rank was instituted in the first place... If you were around when it was instituted the rationale given was that we saw a huge dropoff in players before they even made it through sailing a Brig. So the idea was to kick them immediately into a ship they could be effective in PvP and clan activities with.. and with the new damage model heavily favoring anything with larger guns this is even more important than it was at that time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meraun said:

@admin

Sounds like trying to ease a big error by making an even bigger one.

If this games will loose the returning vets at launch, it will be plain dead since just a little part of new players will stand the insane grind they will soon realize they'll have to face to go anywere in the game.

Unfortunately it's a loose/loose scenario we cannot escape

2 hours ago, Liberalism said:

I am sorry, it actually takes only 7 minutes for the veteran and without "hugging".

I have not tried this with the new damage model, but I assume the addition of 3lb basic cannons and reduced damage from smaller calibers would make this more difficult than it used to be.

On 4/10/2019 at 6:43 PM, Meraun said:

@admin

Hell no. The exams XP rewards is what helped me convince some friends to come back AND stay because they could not bear the grind on 7 and 6th rates.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2019 at 11:56 AM, Liberalism said:

Veterans can still reach M&C within 2 hours. Go out in cutter, kill LGV. Takes less than 10 minutes to do. Let's look from different perspective, are veterans the real issue here or the DLC ships?

Kill (i.e. cap) an LGV in less than 10 minutes with a Basic Cutter?  Preposterous.  After 30-45 minutes of stern camping sure.  But less than 10 minutes?  Not possible; unless the new damage model now makes that possible. Haven't tried it since the change.  Please post a video doing that within 10 minutes with a Basic Cutter because I would love to learn how to do that.

Edited by Bull Hull