Game-Labs Forum

Make Labour Hours scarce again

Alternative title: Make Labour Contracts Great Again

Remember when your whole clan had to come together to share their labour hours in order to build ships? 

Clan officers had to call players to the capital to use their labour hours to convert raw resources into materials, so that high level crafters could use all their labour ours on producing ships.

This could be hugely inconvenient and required logistics, but it was a system that involved great solidarity and collaboration, as well as the buying and selling of labour hours, and the trust it took to hand over resources and hoping that you got them back again as materials for a fee.

Since then labour contracts have been implemented in the game, potentially streamlining this process greatly. However labour hours need and availability has also greatly changed and the crafting process greatly simplified, to go a long way towards removing this collaborative effort that crafting especially big ships used to be.

The introduction of labour contracts is a great advancement, to streamline the sharing of labour hours. But the removal of collaborative effort is a big negative.

I would wish that labour hours for ship-building would again become a bottleneck. That is, for ships bigger than 5th rates. Lineships could even require labour contracts in their crafting recipe, in addition to an almost full labour hours account.

In return the collaborative effort of producing and sharing labour contracts should be simplified and emphasised. 

The recipe for making a labour contract should be simplified to include some limited reals cost (maybe 10k), the 500 labour hours (1-to-1, labour hours discount upgrade in a port should not apply to the production of labour contracts), and tools.

Tools should be available for mining, exclusively, but readily, in any captureable, non-capital, port that is upgraded to the highest level under the new town upgrade system that you are planning to introduce.

This should also be the only way to produce labour contracts (on war server). There should be no doubloons to labour contract conversion. 

This would create a market for labour contracts. And it would create collaboration within clans where members would use their labour hours to help produce labour contracts and put them in the clan warehouse for the clan crafters to use.

Edit: Alternate method for tools production is production in forge building from iron, coal and oak. Labour contracts item should be made in workshop building rather than Academy.

Edited by Anolytic
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

I remember how awful it was yes.

I mean I'd be alright, I have alts. Others don't.

It was annoying. 

20 hours ago, Tom Farseer said:

So basically tilting the eco-balance even further in favor of DLC owners? no thanks....

And people who have multiple accounts...funny how that works.

No labor hours are plentiful and we are better for it.

If nothing else I would be in favor with @mikawa and allow myself to sell my hours.

42 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

What's stopping you?

Is crafting and selling Labor Hour contracts not a way of selling hours?

The freedom if choice would be a lot better then "you could just do X."

Crafting labor contracts nowadays is very cost inefficient, which I suppose is the current trend for everything Naval Action.